The Black Vault Message Forums

Discover the Truth!        

Battle Forum

Gay Marriage - Just Say No !!!!

This is the Battle Forum. It was setup for those threads and conversations that get out of hand - and turn into attacks, name calling and childish behavior. Users head here to hash out their differences. Please be warned before entering...
Forum rules
This is the BATTLE FORUM. A WARNING UP FRONT: ANYTHING GOES HERE!

Expect language and attacks from other members here. This place was setup for those threads that turned to personal attacks, name calling, and other immature behavior.

This is an unmoderated board, except by the site Administrator. There are NO THREATS OF VIOLENCE, BLATANT RACISM, or other ILLEGAL ACTIVITY! Other than that, this is a battle field - so enter and read at your own risk.

Postby mrshumphreys » Fri Jan 22, 2010 8:55 am

Marriage is not just a religious thing in the US. It is a legal term, and it affords benefits that civil unions do not. Since civil unions differ from state to state, the benefits that a marriage automatically affords to a couple may not be come with civil union status. This means things like medical decisions, child custody, visitation rights, and a whole ton of tax, property, and insurance issues might not be in a partner's hands in case of death or emergency.

There is a separation of church and state here, so granting gays the right to marry would not make it mandatory for churches to perform those marriages. Churches that wanted to could, and gays would have the right to get married by justices, and everyone else who has the legal right to preside over a legal marriage in the US. Contrary to popular belief, this have absolutely nothing to do with anyone's religious rights.
"It's like arguing with a brick wall, except the brick wall thinks you're an idiot, and thinks it's winning." - Humphreys, that sexy beast.

Ph'nglui mglw'nafh Cthulhu R'lyeh wgah'nagl fhtagn
mrshumphreys

Postby greeney2 » Fri Jan 22, 2010 1:24 pm

Can a man and woman enter into a civil union? I don't think the law allows for that, so its an even trade. :lol:
greeney2

Postby mrshumphreys » Fri Jan 22, 2010 2:50 pm

Not extending the same rights to millions of people because of what consenting adults decide to do with each other behind closed doors... yeah, that's hysterical. :roll:
"It's like arguing with a brick wall, except the brick wall thinks you're an idiot, and thinks it's winning." - Humphreys, that sexy beast.

mrshumphreys

Postby Dark-Samus » Fri Jan 22, 2010 3:03 pm

Can a man and woman enter into a civil union? I don't think the law allows for that, so its an even trade.

True but like I have said in another similar topic when it comes to mainly hospitals and so on when their loved ones can't visit their diying man or whatever.

If that gets the same equal status as the rest then I wouldn't care at all.
And neither should the rest.
I just don't get why most humans even cares about what others do privately! :roll: :evil:

I mean for the love of everything that is just GAH! I cannot even end this sentence!
Truth doesn´t control you, you control it...
Dark-Samus

Postby greeney2 » Fri Jan 22, 2010 5:32 pm

If the issue had anything to do with the behind closed doors part, they wouldn't have civil unions either would they? Nobody could care less about behind closed doors, it has nothing do to with civil union, marriage, or simply a one night encounter.

Dark, that hospital visiting thing I don't think ever happens anymore and if it did, was pretty darn rare. Besides that isn't any different than anyone else in intensive care, only immediate relatives are allowed in.
greeney2

Postby Dark-Samus » Sat Jan 23, 2010 4:52 am

Well true but it's these immidiate relatives are the ones that are the "contectees" that are not allowed sometims into the room.

But let's see how it turns out this year.
Dark-Samus

Postby greeney2 » Sat Jan 23, 2010 12:55 pm

"contectees"

Whats that mean?
greeney2

Postby Dark-Samus » Sat Jan 23, 2010 4:21 pm

Sorry, typed wrong...

Contactee should it say...if now that is the correct way to spell it... :mrgreen:
Dark-Samus

Postby mrshumphreys » Sun Jan 24, 2010 12:56 pm

greeney2 wrote:If the issue had anything to do with the behind closed doors part, they wouldn't have civil unions either would they? Nobody could care less about behind closed doors, it has nothing do to with civil union, marriage, or simply a one night encounter.

You're right.
The issue has nothing to do with what goes on behind closed doors.
The issue is civil rights, and how there is an entire group of people in this country that do not have the same ones as you and me.

mrshumphreys

Postby Nixxie » Sat Mar 13, 2010 5:13 pm

two thoughts: I was wondering how long it would take for someone to write the lumberjack song...didn't even make it past the first page (well done that canadian)

second: Do I have to write a long speech about how wrong it is to ban marriage between same sex partners? We deserve the same civil rights as everyone else on the blinking planet damn it. And for the record, I'm bisexual. I reserve no judgement on the sex of the person I fall in love with, generally its the personality that does for me. And why is it that its okay if two women want to get married but not two men?

I'm going to be sensible and stay away from this topic like Greeny2 as I may start swearing quite loudly. I'll even use caps if necessary.

And just for future reference, being gay isn't an affront against the church, if anything its an affront against evolution and the continuation of the species. But hey, thats a whole new argument. *edit* And same sex partnerships can be seen elsewhere in nature, not just humans that do it...I'm going to go away now otherwise I'll start about monkeys and albatrosses and thats very off topic.
Nixxie

PreviousNext

Return to Battle Forum

• View new posts
  • View unanswered posts