The Black Vault Message Forums

Discover the Truth!        

Ancient & Lost Civilizations

The Athenians: Another warning from history?

Here, you can discuss the Mayans, Atlantis, the Aztecs and other ancient and lost civilizations.

Postby BornAquarius » Mon Oct 12, 2009 12:52 pm

The collapse of Greek democracy 2,400 years ago occurred in circumstances so similar to our own it could be read as a dark and often ignored lesson from the past, a new study suggests.

In a new history of the 4th century BC, Cambridge University Classicist Dr. Michael Scott reveals how the implosion of Ancient Athens occurred amid a crippling economic downturn, while politicians committed financial misdemeanours, sent its army to fight unpopular foreign wars and struggled to cope with a surge in immigration.

http://www.physorg.com/news173955504.htm[

If you don't learn from History it's bound to repeat itself.

The Greeks predicted how democracy would thrive and how it would fall. Back then the philosophers warnings were ignored and their kingdom fell.

Greek Philosophy should be required reading for every politician of influence.
"I'm impatient with stupidity. My people have learned to live without it." -- Klaatu in 'The Day the Earth Stood Still'
BornAquarius

Postby MonarchSmile » Mon Oct 12, 2009 1:13 pm

Required readings in schools.............in America at least :!:
MonarchSmile

Postby BornAquarius » Mon Oct 12, 2009 1:24 pm

MonarchSmile wrote:Required readings in schools.............in America at least :!:

College yes but not high school.......I didn't read Plato, Socrates, Homer etc until I went to University.
"I'm impatient with stupidity. My people have learned to live without it." -- Klaatu in 'The Day the Earth Stood Still'
BornAquarius

Postby ironrose2000 » Thu Oct 15, 2009 5:10 pm

I've often compared 21st century America to the last days of the Roman Empire. Unpopular wars, financial irresponsibility, politicians who see themselves as above the masses, mass unrest, foreign policy resulting in dire consequences, games and sport being used as a palliative... it all seems so eerily familiar, doesn't it? Athens is just another example. My fear though, is who is going to be our Visigoth, our Persia?
Life is a mystery. There are no clues. Poirot is on holiday. Good luck! - God.
ironrose2000

Postby Serapis » Fri Feb 26, 2010 10:26 pm

Socrates never wrote anything; but his dialogues have survived the ages in the discourses of Plato. The only problem with Plato's discourses, and no doubt why they are not taught in public schools, is the contancy of homosexual cannotations throughout the majority of his works, often depicting discussions which insinuate that it was almost second nature for upper class Greek men to lay with each other, or with younger boys. Plato is for college students and above.

However, ancient Greek society flourished even after the massive bloodshed of the Peloponnesian War, when the Spartans burned Athens to the ground. Many of the best and brightest philosophers were exiled for a time, but soon were back in Athens reestablishing themselves amid a returned democracy. It is this period after the great war that Socrates' written discourses are said to have taken place.
Serapis

Return to Ancient & Lost Civilizations

• View new posts
  • View unanswered posts