The Black Vault Message Forums

Discover the Truth!        

Ancient & Lost Civilizations

Easter Island

Here, you can discuss the Mayans, Atlantis, the Aztecs and other ancient and lost civilizations.

Postby sandra » Fri Jan 01, 2010 2:58 pm

Easter Island

"Easter Island is the world's most isolated inhabited island. It is also one of the most mysterious. Eastern Island is roughly midway between Chile and Tahiti. The triangular shaped island (Easter Island) is made mostly of volcanic rock. Small coral formations exist along the shoreline, but the lack of a coral reef has allowed the sea to cut cliffs around much of the island. The coastline has many lava tubes and volcanic caves. The only sandy beaches are on the northeast coast. Easter Island we think of of huge stone carved figures - Easter Island Stones (or Eastern Island Stones).

Ovahe Beach, North Shore

The inhabitants of this charming and mysterious place called their land: Te Pito o TeHenua, 'the navel of the world.'

It sits in the South Pacific Ocean 2,300 miles west of South America, 2,500 miles southeast of Tahiti, 4,300 miles south of Hawaii, 3,700 miles north of Antarctica. The closest other inhabited island is 1,260 miles away - tiny Pitcairn Island where the mutineers of the H.M.S. Bounty settled in 1790.

Archaeological evidence indicates discovery of the eastern island by Polynesians at about 400 AD.

In 1722, a Dutch explorer, Jacob Roggeveen, sighted and visited the island. This happened to be on a Sunday, Easter Sunday to be precise, and the name stuck: Easter Island (Isla de Pascua in Spanish).

What he discovered on Easter Island were three distinct groups of people, Dark skinned, Red skinned, and very Pale skinned People with red hair".

The Polynesian name of the island is Rapanui, which is a name given by a Tahitian visitor in the 19th century who says that the island looked like the Tahitian island of 'Rapa,' but bigger, 'Nui.'

Inhabitants are of Polynesian descent, but for decades anthropologists have argued the true origins of these people, some claiming that ancient South-American mariners settled the island first.

What many early explorers who visited the easter island found, was a scattered population with almost no culture they could remember and without any links to the outside world.

The Easter islanders were easy prey for 19th century slave traders which depreciated even more their precarious culture, knowledge of the past, and skills of the ancestors.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

THE MOAI

When we think of Eastern Island we think of of huge stone carved figures -monoliths- that dot the coastline.

They are called Moai and are carved from island rock.

The Moai are seen all over the island, and in different shapes, sizes, and stages of completion. Many Moaiare left unfinished at the quarry site. No one is sure yet as to what purposes did the Moai served, but outside scholarly research together with accumulated local knowledge, shows evidence that the Moai were carved by the ancestors of the present inhabitants.

Ron Fisher in his work Easter Island Brooding Sentinels of Stone, mentions as one explanation for the statues that "two classes of people, the-so-called Long Ears and Short Ears, lived on the island. The Short Ears were enslaved by the Long Ears, who forced the Short Ears to carve the Moai. After many generations and during a rebellion, the Short Ears surprised the Long Ears killing them all, which explains the abrupt end of the statue-carving.

Long Ears

Some of the Moai face the sea -

most face inland to watch over the villlages.

Many of the were buried up to their shoulders and thereby appearing as disembodied heads.

All of the Moai were toppled in tribal wars about 250 years ago.

Many have recently been rebuilt - starting in the 1950's.

They sit on rocky lava strewn about telling a story of fallen monuments of a long lost civilization who created them. The Moai were depictions of their ancestors. The Rapa Nui were ancestor worshipers and only had one diety - Make Make.

The Moai were excavated for the first time by Thor Heyerdahl in the 1950's and were photographed at that time.

AHU

Moai sit on platforms - ceremonial shrines called Ahu.

Ahu Akivi is an especially sacred place.

Ahu Akivi is a sanctuary and celestial observatory built about 1500 AD which was the subject of the first serious restoration accomplished on Easter Island by archaeologists William Mulloy and Gonzalo Figueroa, with excellent results. As in the case of many religious structures on Easter Island, it has been situated with astronomical precision: it's seven statues look towards the point where the sun sets during the equinox.

It is also aligned to the moon.

Ahu Akivi is an unusual site in several respects. A low ahu supports 7 statues all very similar in height and style. The site is odd in that it is located far inland and the statues were erected to face the ocean. The only site where this was done. Like other Easter Island sites the statues were found knocked off the ahu, lying face down in the ground. In 1960, Archeologist William Mulloy's team spent several months raising the statues to their original positions.

During the excavation and restoration of this site many cremation pits were uncovered behind the ahu. The pits contained fragments of bone, shells, fishing implements, and obsidian flakes. Whether sites like these were used regularly for cremations and or burials is not certain. At other sites skeletons have been found buried within the ahu structure, but these burials are believed to have occurred after the statues were toppled.

Folklore holds that its seven moai represent the seven young explorers that legend says the Polynesian King Hotu Matu'a dispatched from across the seas, probably from the Marquesas Islands, to find this new homeland for him and his people. They are among the few moai that face the sea.

These seven stone giants may well symbolize those seven explorers, but no one knows for sure. Just as no one knows what any of the moai really represent or why only a few of them face the sea."

LINKHERE

I want more pictures of this place
“Living backwards!” Alice repeated in great
astonishment. “I never heard of such a thing!”
“—but there’s one great advantage in it, that one’s
memory works both ways.”
— Lewis Carroll, Through the Looking-Glass
sandra

Postby Medusa » Sun Feb 07, 2010 2:09 pm

Hi Sandra

Hope you dont mind, but I came across this site and some of the pics ahhhh wicked hun ...

One of the most isolated inhabited islands in the world, Easter Island is situated in the southern Pacific Ocean, 3540 km west of Chile. Easter Island, or Rapa Nui, as it is sometimes referred, was formed by a series of massive volcanic eruptions. Volcanic cones are found scattered across the island, including the large crater Rana Kao at the southwest end of the island and a line of cinder cones that stretch north from the central mountain, but none have been active since the island was colonized 1300 years ago. The Island is roughly triangular and covers an area of 166 km².

Until 1300 years ago, the island was inhabited by sea birds and was heavily forested with now extinct giant palm trees. Archaeologists believe the island was discovered and colonized by Polynesians at about 400 AD. Subsequently, a unique culture developed. The human population grew to levels that could not be sustained by the island. A civil war resulted, and the island’s deforestation and ecosystem collapse was nearly complete. Easter Island is perhaps best known for its giant statues or Moai that were carved out of volcanic rock and are scattered in various places around the island.

Today, a new forest (primarily eucalyptus) has been established in the center of the island. Its fertile volcanic soils, is covered with grasslands and is swept by strong trade winds. Farming is the principal occupation where sheep are raised, and maize, sweet potatoes, figs, bananas, pineapples, melons, and vegetables are grown (source NASA).

Lov the map pic ..................

http://www.geographicguide.net/america/ ... island.htm
Dragonrider ATS R.I.P

My lust for you is like a fire
All it does is burn
It burns everything in sight
My lust for you is intense
All I do is think about you
The way you smell
The way you look
That's my lust for you.
Medusa

Postby BloodStone » Mon Feb 08, 2010 10:40 am

Imagine being the first one to sail over there , and see all them giant heads sticking out of the ground.

That had to be amazing.

BloodStone...
If it were raining hookers, I'd get hit by a fag.
BloodStone

Postby sandra » Mon Feb 08, 2010 7:28 pm

Medusa, thanks for the links girl, and the pictures. The pictures are wicked cool, yep. :mrgreen: Still want to find some more, I'm gnna take a look. That map almost
looks like a turtle. One of the articles said the island was once covered in sea birds, wonder what kind. I'd like to read more about the environments there.

BloodStone, if I came upon an Island like that, I'm not so sure I'd be stepping on shore, maybe I'd prefer to be at sea. Looking from a nice distance. ;)
“Living backwards!” Alice repeated in great
astonishment. “I never heard of such a thing!”
“—but there’s one great advantage in it, that one’s
memory works both ways.”
— Lewis Carroll, Through the Looking-Glass
sandra

Postby nightwolf » Mon Feb 08, 2010 8:33 pm

Sandra, you might want to look into the Ancient Astronaut Theory about Easter Island if the subject interests you. When I have a little bit more time, I'll see if I can't find it for you.
nightwolf

Postby Medusa » Tue Feb 09, 2010 3:32 am

nightwolf wrote:Sandra, you might want to look into the Ancient Astronaut Theory about Easter Island if the subject interests you. When I have a little bit more time, I'll see if I can't find it for you.

Brilliant idea there nightwolf, just had a quick look meself and came acorss this ...........

Easter Island

Challenging the idea that the transporting of huge megaliths by ancient man was beyond their capabilities, archaeologists at Easter Island have attempted to demonstrate how people with stone age technology could have moved small megaliths short distances like some of the Easter Island Moai.

The poured concrete Moai used in the demonstration weighed approximately 6 tons and was lifted onto the sled by modern crane, but was able to be moved with rollers several meters and erected upright.

Actual Moai, however, weigh on average 12.5 metric tons with the largest erected being 74.4 metric tons.

http://www.bibliotecapleyades.net/vida_ ... eory05.htm
Dragonrider ATS R.I.P

All it does is burn
The way you smell
The way you look
That's my lust for you.
Medusa

Postby Medusa » Tue Feb 09, 2010 3:37 am

Just thought I'd add this bit, incase some dont know what its all about .................. lol

What is the Ancient Astronaut Theory ?

Many people believe that gods came from outerspace in firey chariots, and taught primitive jungle people from Mexico's Yucatan Peninsula the Mayas how to build grand cities, use symbols for writing, mathematics. They also studied the movements of stars and planets. They made calendars. The Mayas worshiped a god, Kukulkan a serpent, who came from the stars. The anient Mayas were a powerful civilization from about A.D. 350 until about 1450. When Spanish explorers came to America and killed most of them off. People who believe the ancient astronauts theory say the evidence is ancient mysteries like Pyramids of Egypt, Statues of Easter Island, giant pictures on the desert of Peru, and the Pyramids of Giza. They say there is no way primitive men, with simple tools could of built these structures that modern engineers with the best machinary would have a hard time. There is a craving on a lid of a tomb built by the Mayas in 683 A.D. Of a man sitting inside a rocket. He is lying back like modern astronaunts do. He is working with controls of the ship and at the bottom are flames from the rockets exhaust. Many ancient Indian drawing look like ancient spacemen.

http://hubpages.com/hub/What-is-the-Anc ... aut-Theory
Dragonrider ATS R.I.P

All it does is burn
The way you smell
The way you look
That's my lust for you.
Medusa

Postby SmokinJoe » Thu Feb 25, 2010 9:31 am

I love the pics. Every ancient culture on the planet references god like beings coming down from the heavens and teaching our ancestors farming, building, etc...

While on this subject, I have to add that I love how the skeptics claim that ancient humans were entirely intelligent and advanced enough to create these sculptures, pyramids and cities on their own, without any extraterrestrial help. Yet, at the same time, skeptics claim that when our intelligent ancestors went to write down the historical record of these same events, and referenced these beings from the sky, our "intelligent and capable" ancestors suddenly (and mysteriously) became so stupid that they couldn't tell the difference between myth and what really happened (simply because they referenced beings coming from the heavens.)

It's puzzling as to how skeptics can believe that humans were highly intelligent enough to KNOW how to build these advanced structures, yet way toooooo dumb to know how to record just how they were able to do these things. Maybe, just maybe, our ancestors wrote that beings came from the heavens and taught them how to build such things because that's exactly what happened.

It is plausible to believe that alien life did visit this planet & taught us many things. And with that knowledge, we did indeed build these structures ourselves. We still can't replicate how our ancestors moved such extremely heavy blocks hundreds of miles. We've only demonstrated how, maybe, some of the smaller tons of blocks might have been moved and placed.
Dawkins thinks belief in God is an excuse to evade thinking in the scientific world. Sadly, he is ignorant to the list of christian scientists who have contributed & founded many of the sciences he himself believes in. How ironic.
SmokinJoe

Return to Ancient & Lost Civilizations

• View new posts
  • View unanswered posts