The Black Vault Message Forums

Discover the Truth!        

The "Off-Topic" Members Lounge

Cuts of Beef - You know where it comes from?

Feel like posting something completely unrelated to the message forums? Feel free! This forum is dedicated to have a place where members can sit, relax and just chat about anything!

Postby HaHaaaa » Sun Jan 17, 2010 4:23 am

Quick!
Before I get hit with the ban-stick: :roll:

Success!
They were light, airy, and very tasty..

Thanks for all the encouragement and tips Sandra. I'll not forget this recipe, and will always think of you when I make frybread in the future.

Egg-in-the-hole............ :D

The kids are about to start making it themselves too, so it'll live on even after I'm gone... ;)

Thanks again!

Byeeeee!
HaHaaaa

Postby sandra » Tue Jan 19, 2010 3:08 pm

Must I say hahaaa you are ready for frybread contest!! :mrgreen:
Excellent work, you school some of those old ndn women, no doubt. LOL
And your second time making it? Wow. You have helped give me some new ideas as well.
I'm glad you enjoy frybread. :)
“Living backwards!” Alice repeated in great
astonishment. “I never heard of such a thing!”
“—but there’s one great advantage in it, that one’s
memory works both ways.”
— Lewis Carroll, Through the Looking-Glass
sandra

Postby rath » Mon Jan 25, 2010 12:02 pm

AUSTRALIA DAY is held every year on January 26th & is a national holiday, & a day to celabrate All things Australian.

Aussies set sickie record before Australia Day

January 26, 2010.

Australia has set a new record for sickies.

A RECORD 500,000 workers took a sickie yesterday to celebrate Australia Day and have earned the reputation of "un-Australian bums".

The four-day weekend some Australians have given themselves has cost the nation about $450 million.

And another 100,000 are expected to take tomorrow off as they wake with Australia Day hangovers.

Sam Kekovich to ask the U.N. to declare Jan 26 International Australia Day in his 2010 address
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VHH0Ebke-lU

Sam Kekovich's Address To The Nation - 2009
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=73PjxbS-pXM

Eat Lamb during "Australia Week 08" (Sam Kekovich)
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FPGSs56lZEQ

Australia Day Lamb Ad 2007
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SkUnemSg3dg

Sam Kekovich Eat Lamb on Australia Day 2006
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=a3w2xHOkhmY

Sam Kekovich Australia Day Message 2005
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AFoyiw6LpE0

Tips for the Perfect Australia Day BBQ

CELEBRATE THE TRUE AUSTRALIAN WAY AND SERVE LAMB THIS AUSTRALIA DAY

Australia Day is a time when our nation comes together and proudly celebrates all that’s great about Australia - an enviable climate, diverse mix of cultures and some of the freshest food in the world. And nothing brings family and friends together better than a good Aussie Lamb barbecue.

The barbecue has become something of an Australian icon & what could be a more patriotic feast this Australia Day?

So whether it is a Lamb chop on the barbecue or an all Australian Lamb burger, make sure you serve Lamb this Australia Day - anything else would be unAustralian. These mouth watering recipes and helpful tips will get you started.

Tips for perfectly barbecued beef and lamb

1. Ensure the barbecue is hot before you cook; the meat should sizzle as it makes contact with the plate or grill. The hand test can give you a good sense of how hot the grill or barbecue plate is. Hold your outstretched palm about 6cm from the heat. If you can only hold it above the heat for around a second it means it's too hot. If you can hold your hand above the heat for 3 to 4 seconds it’s at a moderately high temperature, which is perfect for barbecuing. Any longer, say 8 seconds then the heat is too low.

2. Coat the meat in oil instead of adding oil to the barbecue grill or hotplate. If the meat has been marinated lightly pat it dry with absorbent paper (this helps the meat brown rather than stew). If too much marinade on meat it won’t touch hot surface of BBQ. Marinated meat need to be treated differently. Don’t pour marinade over the meat while it’s cooking, this makes the meat stew and causes flare-ups. You can brush the meat with a little of the marinade as it cooks. Better to be safe than sorry so always pour any marinade into a saucepan and bring to the boil, boil 5 minutes this will kill any bacteria from the raw meat. Then use to base the meat.

3. Let the meat cook on one side until moisture appears, then turn once only. Use tongs rather than a barbecue fork to turn the meat as a fork will pierce the meat and drain the juices leaving it dry & tough.

4. Rest the meat for at least half the time it has been cooking. Eg if cooked 8 minutes then rest for at least 4. This allows the juices to settle so they don’t run over board or plate when you cut the meat.

5. Don't crowd the flat-plate or char-grill plate when you barbecue. This reduces the heat and the meat will then release juices and begin to stew.

Best Lamb cuts for your Australia Day barbecue

•Lamb cutlets

•Lamb chops (choose from loin, leg and chump chops)

•Lamb fillet/tenderloin

•Lamb eye of shortloin/backstrap

•Lamb steaks (round or topside)

•Lamb spare ribs

Lamb cutlets with bean salad

Preparation time: 15 minutes
Cooking time: 15 minutes
Serves: 4

12 Lamb cutlets, frenched
a little olive oil
sea salt and freshly ground pepper
roasted tomatoes to serve (optional)

For the bean salad
1 red onion, finely shredded
400g can of cannellini beans, drained
Finely grated rind and juice of one lemon
¼ cup parsley leaves
2 tbsp extra virgin olive oil
1 tbsp white wine vinegar

1. Brush each cutlet lightly with oil. Season each. Preheat a barbecue or char-grill pan to hot before adding the cutlets.

2. Cook the Lamb cutlets on one side until the first sign of moisture appears on the top. Turn and cook further until done to your preference. Turn once only. Remove cutlets from the heat, loosely cover with foil and rest them for two minutes before serving.

3. To make the bean salad, combine all ingredients and mix well.

4. Serve cutlets with the bean salad and roasted tomatoes.

Lamb fillets with pumpkin, feta and olive salad Preparation time: 20 minutes
Cooking time: 20 minutes

8 Lamb fillets/tenderloins
1 tbsp sesame oil
500g of jap pumpkin, cut into small chunks
olive oil
sea salt
200g baby spinach leaves
100g feta, crumbled
¼ cup black olives
a little extra olive oil

1. Brush the Lamb fillets with sesame oil. Preheat the oven to 220ºC. Toss the pumpkin with olive oil and a little sea salt, roast for about 20 minutes.

2. Preheat a non-stick pan to moderately hot. Keep the heat at moderately high. Cook one side of the Lamb fillet until the first sign of moisture appears on the uncooked side, turn and cook other side. You may need to turn the fillets three times so all sides are browned.

3. Test for doneness with tongs. Remove Lamb from heat, loosely cover with foil and rest them for two minutes before serving.

4. To serve slice Lamb thinly. Place spinach leaves on a plate, add a little roasted pumpkin, sprinkle with crumbled feta and black olives, dress with a little of extra olive oil. Place sliced Lamb on top.

Australia Day Lamb burgers

Preparation time: 10 minutes
Cooking time: 12 minutes
Serves: 6

600g Lamb mince
4 spring onions, finely sliced
1 cup soft white breadcrumbs
150g feta cheese, crumbled
2 garlic cloves, crushed
2 tbsp chopped fresh mint
2 eggs
spray olive oil
1 medium tub of tabouli
lettuce leaves
1 Turkish bread loaf cut into 6 even pieces

1. Combine Lamb mince, spring onions, breadcrumbs, feta, garlic, mint and egg. Mix until well combined. Shape into six even-sized burgers.

2. Spray burgers sparingly with oil before cooking. Preheat a non-stick pan or barbecue until moderately hot before adding the burgers; they should sizzle when you place them on the heat. Cook for four to six minutes on each side, turn them once only.

3. Slice Turkish bread pieces in half horizontally and grill or toast until lightly browned. Place burgers on toasted bread with tabouli and lettuce. Serve immediately.

Lamb wraps - great for the kids!

Preparation time: 10 minutes
Cooking time: 10 minutes

8 Lamb topside or round steaks
a little oil
4 Lebanese round breads
¼ cup (60g) peanut butter or cream cheese
1 large carrot, grated
½ cup sultanas
shredded lettuce

1. Brush Lamb steaks with oil. Preheat a char-grill pan or barbecue to moderately hot.

2. Cook steaks on first side until moisture appears, turn and cook until done to your liking. Remove steaks from heat, loosely cover with foil and rest them for two minutes before serving.

3. To serve slice Lamb thinly. Spread each Lebanese bread round with peanut butter or cream cheese. Place sliced Lamb on one end of each bread, top each with the carrot, sultanas and lettuce. Roll up tightly.

Best beef cuts for barbecuing

Beef

Fillet/tenderloin,

Rib eye/scotch fillet, sirloin/porterhouse/New York,

t-bone,

rump,

beef spare ribs

mince for burgers
rath

Postby ranman1 » Mon Jan 25, 2010 2:49 pm

What good is an Australian barbi without scrimps?!
ranman1

Postby rath » Tue Jan 26, 2010 10:39 am

ranman1 wrote:What good is an Australian barbi without scrimps?!

True that.

& BBQ fruit .......... mmmm

The good old' Aussie Prawn.

http://www.smh.com.au/news/entertainmen ... 14190.html

King Prawns ....... yum.

Split barbecued prawns. ( Butterfly / split the prawns )

OR

Prawn Skewers cooked on the BBQ.

brush / bast the prawns with your favorite marinad, & BBQ.

Oh &

Creamy Garlic Prawns w' rice..... Yummie.

Garlic & Chilli Prawns

Serves 6 as an entrée, or 10 as a main course

Ingredients:

2 tablespoons extra virgin olive oil
1 large red chilli, sliced thinly
8 gloves garlic, peeled and thinly sliced
500g raw prawns, shelled, leaving the tails intact
salt to taste

Method:

Heat the olive oil in a large pan over medium heat, then add the chilli and cook until it starts to colour.

Add the garlic and cook for a further few moments, but do not let it go brown.
Toss in the prawns and sear until pink.

Season with the salt and serve immediately.
rath

Postby rath » Tue Jan 26, 2010 11:01 am

Oh .. the Fruit on the BBQ.

Grilled Pineapple

Method:

Take one ripe pineapple, skin and cut out the eyes. Either core and cut the pineapple into rings or slice the pineapple from the core; marinade for 4 hours.

Heat the grill to hot and place the pineapple slices on, watching carefully as they will char very quickly. Turn once and ensure you get good grill lines.

Remove from the grill and crack rock salt liberally over. Serve on hamburgers or as a side dish.

Or with good quality vanilla ice cream if desired.

Char-Grilled Mangoes

Method:
Char-grill the mango cheeks, flat side down until they are coloured. Squeeze over lime juice, serve with coconut ice cream, &/or Honey.

Char-Grilled Mango and Honey

Ingredients:
4 small mangoes
2 tbl brown sugar
thick cream
honey

Method:

Slice mangoes into 4 cheeks and score diagonal cuts through each cheek without breaking the skin.

Sprinkle each cheek with brown sugar and place on a hot bbq grill plate until browned slightly.

Serve add a dollop of thickened cream and drizzle honey.

( serves 2-4 )

Caramelised Stone Fruits

Ingredients:
Plums, halved
Nectarines, halved
Peaches, halved
Materials:
Wooden Skewers
Method:
Place halved plums, nectarines and peaches onto wooden skewers.

Roll the cut side of the fruit in sugar and barbecue until they are nicely browned and caramelised.

Serve with ice-cream or cream.

Or serve over An Australian meringue or pavlova.

http://www.theage.com.au/articles/2006/ ... 40477.html
rath

Postby Nixxie » Tue Feb 02, 2010 10:56 am

cheers rath. i've been looking for a decent chilli&garlic prawn recipe for ages. :) Mine usually just get smeared with sweet chili and lemongrass sauce and left to marinate for a bit before i cook them.

Cooking wise, I'm okay. I don't have a slow cooker but for a proper english roast beef you don't really need one. I usually just put salt, pepper and whole grain mustard on the fat with a tiny bit of plain flour, then put it in the pot with a few garlic cloves and sort of sit it on half a potato and leave it on really low for a few hours. Works really well.

I'm still a bit jealous though of Greeny2! I'll have to come over one day and sneak into Johns house to be fed.
Nixxie

Postby rath » Sun Feb 14, 2010 8:43 am

Nixxie wrote:cheers rath. i've been looking for a decent chilli&garlic prawn recipe for ages. :) Mine usually just get smeared with sweet chili and lemongrass sauce and left to marinate for a bit before i cook them.

haha ...... smeared with sweet Chilli & lemongrass sauce.

thats fine ...... i cook all day & end up haveing 2 minute noodles or something from the microwave menu.
rath

Postby Nixxie » Sun Feb 14, 2010 4:27 pm

Same here. I've ended up baking for most of the day and so far (its 11.30pm here) I've just eaten one of the cakes I've made and a bowl of soup cuz it was easier than trying to find something else! Time for bed I think before I do anything else daft.
Nixxie

Previous

Return to The "Off-Topic" Members Lounge

• View new posts
  • View unanswered posts