The Black Vault Message Forums

Discover the Truth!        

Ancient & Lost Civilizations

California Tree Carving Hints at Early Chumash Astronomy

Here, you can discuss the Mayans, Atlantis, the Aztecs and other ancient and lost civilizations.

Postby nightwolf » Tue Feb 09, 2010 9:44 am

Though local lore held that the so-called "scorpion tree" had been the work of cowboys, paleontologist Rex Saint Onge immediately knew that the tree was carved by Indians when he stumbled upon it in the fall of 2006. Located in a shady grove atop the Santa Lucia Mountains in San Luis Obispo County, the centuries-old gnarled oak had the image of a six-legged, lizard-like being meticulously scrawled into its trunk, the nearly three-foot-tall beast topped with a rectangular crown and two large spheres. "I was really the first one to come across it who understood that it was a Chumash motif," says Saint Onge, referring to the native people who painted similar designs on rock formations from San Luis Obispo south through Santa Barbara and into Malibu.

http://news.yahoo.com/s/time/20100209/us_time/08599196066100

I wasn't sure where this topic should go but found it interesting. It's amazing that our Native tribes in the states aren't given enough credit for what they know.
nightwolf

Postby sandra » Thu Feb 18, 2010 8:35 pm

That is a great story and it fits just fine in this forum.

Found a picture but I wish I could see clearer.

http://www.archaeologydaily.com/news/201002093271/A-Tree-Carving-in-California-Ancient-Astronomers.html

I'm going to look for more information on this one.
“Living backwards!” Alice repeated in great
astonishment. “I never heard of such a thing!”
“—but there’s one great advantage in it, that one’s
memory works both ways.”
— Lewis Carroll, Through the Looking-Glass
sandra

Return to Ancient & Lost Civilizations

• View new posts
  • View unanswered posts