The Black Vault Message Forums

Discover the Truth!        

Sci-Fi TV/Movies

Avatar...not a bad little film...

Sci-Fi has amazed audiences since the dawn of television and movies. Come on in to chat about anything and everything Science Fiction.

Postby event_horizon » Thu Jan 14, 2010 6:11 pm

mrshumphreys wrote:
event_horizon wrote:The plot pretty much sums up the hearts and minds of the majority of humanity. It's a movie that begs you to hate Earthlings, pretty much...just how pathetic most of us are with our own greediness/selfishness.

I loved this movie and it's the most amazing thing ever put on the silver screen. I'm gonna see it again before it leaves the theater.

Doesn't take much to entertain you these days, does it?
Don't you think the whole evil-white-American-males subjugate the nice-poor-savage-hippies for nothing but greed plots are just a weensy bit played out? Not even a little bit tired of being told how bad you are? *shrugs* The plot just didn't serve up anything new or interesting, IMO.

Ahhh whatever. It's first movie I saw where Earthlings go to an alien planet and invade its inhabitants. Usually it's the other way around, with us getting invaded. In that aspect, I thought it was original.

mrshumphreys wrote:The special effects, OTOH, were kickass, and really realistic as well. Too bad they didn't have an equally fantastic story to not distract me from.

The 3-D combined with the awesome special effects is why I want to go see it again. It's eye candy.
I don't believe what I believe because it's what I desire to believe. I believe what I believe because it's what logic and reason cause me to believe. All I want is to live with the truth -- nothing more, nothing less.
event_horizon

Postby mrshumphreys » Fri Jan 15, 2010 7:09 am

event_horizon wrote:
mrshumphreys wrote:
event_horizon wrote:The plot pretty much sums up the hearts and minds of the majority of humanity. It's a movie that begs you to hate Earthlings, pretty much...just how pathetic most of us are with our own greediness/selfishness.

I loved this movie and it's the most amazing thing ever put on the silver screen. I'm gonna see it again before it leaves the theater.

Doesn't take much to entertain you these days, does it?
Don't you think the whole evil-white-American-males subjugate the nice-poor-savage-hippies for nothing but greed plots are just a weensy bit played out? Not even a little bit tired of being told how bad you are? *shrugs* The plot just didn't serve up anything new or interesting, IMO.

Ahhh whatever. It's first movie I saw where Earthlings go to an alien planet and invade its inhabitants. Usually it's the other way around, with us getting invaded. In that aspect, I thought it was original.

mrshumphreys wrote:The special effects, OTOH, were kickass, and really realistic as well. Too bad they didn't have an equally fantastic story to not distract me from.

The 3-D combined with the awesome special effects is why I want to go see it again. It's eye candy.

Meh. I don't know. The earthlings invading other planets thing has been done before, but not as much as the other way around, I'll give you that. It's still just a sci-fi metaphor for the same old we're bad because of crap that somebody who looks like us did (or will do), though. I just can't get into the story... and I can't forgive them for not putting a bit more effort into it, either. For once I felt like the story actually detracted from the special effects, which is just weird. LOL
"It's like arguing with a brick wall, except the brick wall thinks you're an idiot, and thinks it's winning." - Humphreys, that sexy beast.

Ph'nglui mglw'nafh Cthulhu R'lyeh wgah'nagl fhtagn
mrshumphreys

Postby event_horizon » Tue Jan 19, 2010 3:28 pm

mrshumphreys wrote:The earthlings invading other planets thing has been done before

I don't recall any other movies where Earthlings did that. Can you name one/some?
I don't believe what I believe because it's what I desire to believe. I believe what I believe because it's what logic and reason cause me to believe. All I want is to live with the truth -- nothing more, nothing less.
event_horizon

Postby mrshumphreys » Thu Jan 21, 2010 9:03 am

Battle for Terra was one.
I'm sure there are others, but I don't have the time to look it up right now.
It's been done in every genre, though, not just sci fi. Somehow dressing it up as an alien planet doesn't make it seem any more original for me.
"It's like arguing with a brick wall, except the brick wall thinks you're an idiot, and thinks it's winning." - Humphreys, that sexy beast.

mrshumphreys

Postby Aquatank » Thu Jan 21, 2010 12:12 pm

I saw this I was impressed with the colors, and landscaping. I'm very tired of blue and grey filter films that don't show the beuaty and or desiolation of the panorama in full color.

BUT I have a major sticking point, and that is aboriginal cultures are continously abused like this, and they seldom if ever win. Hence the realism of the story suffers, where it could have been used to as way of alerting to people/viewers to the suffering of native peoples caused by powerful outsiders (sometimes for hundreds of years.). There wasn't even an end sequence noting the continual abuse at the hands of other nations including Australia, USA, and Canada among others. It also has the White Man saves the Natives image implying they cannot save themsleves without the White Mans help. The only redemption to this sticking point is the White Man in this "goes native" in the end.
Aquatank

Postby Dark-Samus » Thu Jan 21, 2010 2:20 pm

I somewhat agree to the white man thing.
It is true it is always a white man that saves the natives, very very wrong.
Truth doesn´t control you, you control it...
Dark-Samus

Postby event_horizon » Mon Jan 25, 2010 5:23 pm

mrshumphreys wrote:Battle for Terra was one.
I'm sure there are others, but I don't have the time to look it up right now.
It's been done in every genre, though, not just sci fi. Somehow dressing it up as an alien planet doesn't make it seem any more original for me.

I didn't see that movie and I certainly don't know of any others.

The is the best visual feast to ever be put on film and it's going to be the highest gossing of all time. But there's always gonna be wannabe Siskel and Eberts out there that try and discredit groundbreaking films because they think it's the hip thing to do I guess... :roll:
event_horizon

Postby mrshumphreys » Tue Jan 26, 2010 4:53 pm

Sorry, I'm big on plot. When a movie has the same plot as tons of movies before it, dressing it up with pretty FX doesn't make it any better for me. People are sheep and will pay to watch crappy James Cameron films... I've learned to live with it. *shrugs*

mrshumphreys

Postby event_horizon » Wed Feb 03, 2010 4:05 pm

mrshumphreys wrote:People are sheep and will pay to watch crappy James Cameron films

Uhhhhhh......."crappy James Cameron films"? :shock: Huh? :shock: Wha? :shock:

Well, looks like you're part of the herd, Mrs. Baaaaaaaaaaaaahahahahahahah. :lol:
event_horizon

Postby Dark-Samus » Thu Feb 04, 2010 1:51 am

To be honest, Cameron is one of the few who actually makes moves you like. Especially when it comes Sci_fi movies.
Makes most other Sci-Fi movies look like a B-movie.
Truth doesn´t control you, you control it...
Dark-Samus

PreviousNext

Return to Sci-Fi TV/Movies

• View new posts
  • View unanswered posts