The Black Vault Message Forums

Discover the Truth!        

Modern Relationships and Social Issues

Genetic Love Match?

Let's face it - we all have them. Come on in to offer advice, or maybe get some advice.

Postby sandra » Mon Jan 11, 2010 9:53 am

Genetic love match? Dating sites try DNA tests
Companies claim to pair couples based on genes, but experts are skeptical

updated 5:34 p.m. CT, Thurs., Nov . 12, 2009
NEW YORK - Looking for love? Try leaning in for a ... cheek swab.

Some genetic testing companies are promising to match couples based on the DNA testing, touting the benefits of biological compatibility.

The companies claim that a better biological match will mean better sex, less cheating, longer-lasting love and perhaps even healthier children.

Story continues below ↓
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
advertisement | your ad here

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

"How many dating services can you think of where they can suggest you might have better children?" said Eric Holzle, founder of ScientificMatch.com, one of the first online dating sites to use DNA.

Holzle wouldn't reveal membership numbers, but GenePartner, a Swiss company that works with matchmakers and dating sites, has tested more than 1,000 people, according to chief scientific officer Tamara Brown. Some were already coupled and took the test out of curiosity.

The GenePartner Test is $99, and will be offered at the dating site sense2love.com when it relaunches next month.

The idea is that people tend to be attracted to those who have immune system genes that are dissimilar from their own.

Biologists say the HLA genes of the immune system — which are responsible for recognizing and marking foreign cells such as viruses so other parts of the immune system can attack them — also determine body odor "fingerprints." And people tend to be attracted to the natural body odors of those who have different HLA genes from their own.

In one study, Swiss biologist Claus Wedekind found that women who were not taking hormonal contraception preferred the natural scent of men whose immune systems were the most different from theirs.

‘Ridiculous’ idea, expert says
But don't put too much faith in this, experts said.

Dr. Rocio Moran, medical director of the General Genetics Clinic at the Cleveland Clinic, called the idea "ridiculous," and said the science of attraction is too complex to look at only a few genes.

"They are just trying to make a buck," she said. "That if it's genetic, it must be real science."

When a random sample of married people was studied, their immune systems were not that different, said Patrick Markey, associate professor of psychology at Villanova. And he notes that hundreds of studies have shown the importance of personality and physical appearance in choosing a mate.

For some, factors such as whether the person smokes, is fat or wants children will override biological compatibility, said Helen Fisher, a biological anthropologist and author of "Why Him? Why Her?" She believes genes play a role but said it's only one part of the puzzle.

Rachel Herz, author of "The Scent of Desire," who teaches olfaction and human behavior at Brown, believes the science is legit but thinks prospective matches should swap T-shirts and sniff.

"Above all physical factors — for example, how he looks — and social factors, how guys smell is more important than anything else," she said.

Holzle was not able to point to any success stories. He said his site tends to attract people who are concerned about privacy and has not done a good job tracking members once they leave. GenePartner did not respond to a request to speak to its customers.

But Chris Moyer, 57, a computer programmer in Reading, Pa., said she would be willing to try it. She has used four or five online dating sites.

"When eHarmony failed, I just gave up," she said. "Nothing has worked, and I'm curious to see how this would work."

Singles who sign up for ScientificMatch.com get a welcome box in the mail containing a skin cells-swab kit. The person mails the kit to the lab, with results in approximately two weeks, then uploads a profile and photos and takes a personal values test. The site also conducts a background check.

Matches are generated based on the DNA, values and preferences.

But Holzle didn't have any success stories to share. In fact, he is planning to phase out the dating part of the site he started in 2007 to market the tests directly to matchmakers and couples. He promises a refund of the $995 lifetime membership.

Still, some matchmaking services are willing to incorporate the test to help frustrated clients.

Anju Rupal, founder of sense2love.com, a Switzerland-based matchmaking site for English speakers, including members in the U.S., is partnering with GenePartner. Members are not required to take the test to sign up, but are encouraged to do so to whittle down the number of potential matches.

"A woman wants to date, settle down and have children. Guys don't want to waste time," she said. "Our aim is to do the best possible match in the shortest amount of time."

LINKHERE

*****I'm aware this is an older story, although I'm sure many people have not heard of this. As I have been doing research on DNA, (pretty much looking through various ideas), I found that many dating services are claiming that by using genetics they can help you find your soul mate. That idea is ridiculous to me. Not that I don't think our own dna has anything to do with finding a soulmate, but cmon, its hard enough for us to know our own selves, let alone someone else genetically knowing our 'souls' match. LOL Well its an interesting claim anyways, and its mind boggling to think dating sites are now offering a swab of the cheeks. :shock:
“Living backwards!” Alice repeated in great
astonishment. “I never heard of such a thing!”
“—but there’s one great advantage in it, that one’s
memory works both ways.”
— Lewis Carroll, Through the Looking-Glass
sandra

Postby MIBby » Mon Jan 11, 2010 6:19 pm

I'm not nearly desperate enough to try this... but someday I will be 8-)
MIB they once called me. Yes, that was my name. But you probably never heard of him. [/hipster]
MIBby

Postby sandra » Mon Jan 11, 2010 6:55 pm

hmm so your idea is you have to be desperate to try this? I'd say more borderline insane... hope it doesn't get to that MIBy. ;)

Well isn't in interesting though, it went from online dating to being a far stretch, to genetic love match making :shock: People try to bank off anything, thing is, there is always truth in it all. I believe genetics will play a role in match making, but a natural one. Not a third party person, thats more like a threesome. :mrgreen:
memory works both ways.”
sandra

Postby MIBby » Tue Jan 12, 2010 3:35 am

I believe the borderline part is already there, the insane part is to follow.
MIB they once called me. Yes, that was my name. But you probably never heard of him. [/hipster]
MIBby

Postby mrshumphreys » Tue Jan 12, 2010 12:22 pm

For some, factors such as whether the person smokes, is fat or wants children will override biological compatibility, said Helen Fisher,

For some?!
This is pretty crazy on so many different levels.
How gullible would you have to be to fall for this?
I think Mibs is right, though, desperation will surely play a role in how successful this service is, at least at first.

Not only is the "science" laughable, but what about all that stuff about "better" children. Better, how exactly? "Better" like, disease resistant, or "better" like blond hair and blue eyes. I realize that wasn't where they were going with that, but somebody is sure to, or at least to accuse them of it, sooner or later.
"It's like arguing with a brick wall, except the brick wall thinks you're an idiot, and thinks it's winning." - Humphreys, that sexy beast.

Ph'nglui mglw'nafh Cthulhu R'lyeh wgah'nagl fhtagn
mrshumphreys

Postby sandra » Tue Jan 12, 2010 2:58 pm

MIBby wrote:I believe the borderline part is already there, the insane part is to follow.

hmmm it could always regress. :mrgreen:

I'm still laughing at your : "but someday I will be..... 8-) " lmao
Blatant honesty, we might all be going there with you.

So if we all pitched in and I did like raffle tickets, and betting on what type of person/character they would set you up with, would you go through the genetic love match service? ;)
memory works both ways.”
sandra

Postby sandra » Tue Jan 12, 2010 3:15 pm

mrshumphreys wrote:For some?!
This is pretty crazy on so many different levels.

Quote from article: "Rachel Herz, author of "The Scent of Desire," who teaches olfaction and human behavior at Brown, believes the science is legit but thinks prospective matches should swap T-shirts and sniff."

How bout that mrshumphreys. :lol: Swap tshirts, atleast they didn't say undergarments right. rofl !!!! Hilarious.

How gullible would you have to be to fall for this?

This service is something that is just coming into play, more people (if they have even heard of it yet) would still be skeptical. Although give it a year, we will be hearing much more of this, guaranteed. They will see it as evoloution of matchmaking....a sped up version, less risks, and little time needed. Time is speeding up, people will appear less and less rational.

I think Mibs is right, though, desperation will surely play a role in how successful this service is, at least at first.

At first, after a few people have tried it, believe it or not I already know where it is headed, people will believe it, because it is tied in with genetics, it will be appealing. The average person does not understand a whole lot about genetics, however they know alot about dating and the complications and time needed which this service will claim unnecessary.

Not only is the "science" laughable, but what about all that stuff about "better" children. Better, how exactly? "Better" like, disease resistant, or "better" like blond hair and blue eyes. I realize that wasn't where they were going with that, but somebody is sure to, or at least to accuse them of it, sooner or later.

Forget the blonde hair crap, you know they all want brunettes.:mrgreen: ;)
memory works both ways.”
sandra

Postby ranman1 » Tue Jan 12, 2010 5:09 pm

Yeah brown hair and brown eyes are the way to go. The aryan look is soooo 1930's.

I'd do it as a test but my wife may kill me.
ranman1

Postby mrshumphreys » Wed Jan 13, 2010 7:12 am

Time is speeding up, people will appear less and less rational.

My head may explode if people start doing that. :lol:

Forget the blonde hair crap, you know they all want brunettes.

Or they would, if they knew how much better they'd have it.

Randy, Jim and I are moving back to Pa this summer. :)
"It's like arguing with a brick wall, except the brick wall thinks you're an idiot, and thinks it's winning." - Humphreys, that sexy beast.

Ph'nglui mglw'nafh Cthulhu R'lyeh wgah'nagl fhtagn
mrshumphreys

Postby sandra » Wed Jan 13, 2010 3:30 pm

ranman, ahh better not. :mrgreen: You'll be banned from the bv by your wife. hehe

mrshumphreys, I know you were telling ranman, but I thought you had said you guys loved it where you are now. Wasn't I around here when you and humphreys first started dating, I think so, I can remember you guys running rampant around here flirting and driving the rest of us crazy. ;) :lol: Wow, how many years ago did you guys marry?
memory works both ways.”
sandra

Next

Return to Modern Relationships and Social Issues

• View new posts
  • View unanswered posts