The Black Vault Message Forums

Discover the Truth!        

Health & Health Hazards

Full Body Scanners Might be Dangerous to Your Health

Stay healthy and stay tuned to the most recent developments in Health watch.

Postby Ultimate » Sat Jan 09, 2010 7:11 pm

Source

As new government directives are now mandating full body (terahertz) scanning (or pat down searches) of our private parts on all US inbound flights, a recent research article in arXiv points to potential negative health effects from the new technology. Terahertz waves penetrate non-conducting material like clothing, but then they deposit energy in the skin. Now researchers at the Center for Nonlinear Studies at Los Alamos National Laboratory have shown that terahertz radiation may be able to do some serious damage to the DNA it encounters when bouncing off your body.

via blacklistednews.com
Ultimate

Postby greeney2 » Sat Jan 09, 2010 9:57 pm

A few years ago they had a lawsuit thinking cellphones caused brain cancer that they thought the many was crazy. Now years. later they are thinking they can be harmful more seriously. Real time xrays, cat scans, MRI's all emit some powerful signals into us, I would like to know more about these scanners they want us all to step into. Like all the rest the risk will never be zero, they will set acceptable and thresholds to stay "Under", and pretend that is harmless. Sounds like 2nd hand smoke being OK, or acceptable amounts of rodant hair in fast food hamburger.

Don't worry you will only be in for a second or two.

Welcome to the Blackvault, good information for your first post. Keep us posted on further developments, and just into posting around the board.
greeney2

Postby Ultimate » Sun Jan 10, 2010 12:30 am

As far as I know MRI is a lot safer. Once I refused a cat scan and opt for an MRI instead. A lot pricier though.
Ultimate

Postby sandra » Sun Jan 10, 2010 10:07 pm

Oh great. I don't know how many CT Scans Ive had in the last year :shock: Hmmm very interesting that it is possibly damaging dna. That would mean it was possible of damaging a WHOLE lot .
“Living backwards!” Alice repeated in great
astonishment. “I never heard of such a thing!”
“—but there’s one great advantage in it, that one’s
memory works both ways.”
— Lewis Carroll, Through the Looking-Glass
sandra

Postby greeney2 » Sun Jan 10, 2010 11:37 pm

When you consider the alternatives to what they need to look for, the risks are well worth it, and I don't really think they are harmful Sandra. The real time imaging I'm not sure if its real time xrays, and if so what the intensity is.
greeney2

Postby sandra » Mon Jan 11, 2010 12:44 am

Yep thats true. Forgot my life was in question at the time.....it was, so a CT Scan doesn't sound as bad when you are in soo much pain you can't even move. Guess it depends on the situation which mine was dire. And since I have been researching DNA, it can always be repaired with the rest of us. :mrgreen: ;)
memory works both ways.”
sandra

Postby Snug » Mon Jan 18, 2010 10:12 pm

The Risk Involved is the radiation exposure more then anything. A CT scan for example will dose you with 2 years worth of background radiation in a single scan. All said in done a single scan is relatively harmless because early detection can be beneficial. However A lot of people get several scans in there lifetime. Even several scans yearly. This can lead to a increased chance in developing certain cancers.

This risk increases if your a child, teenager or young adult.

Personally from what i understand MRI's are a much safer alternative since the radiation exposure is much lower and possibly zero.

Estimates have gone as high as 1/50 people developing fatal cancers due to CT scans. Could be a large reason why there is a Huge increase in cancers developing in HIV positive individuals as well. Since a large portion of them are recommended to get scans periodically.
Snug

Postby greeney2 » Tue Jan 19, 2010 11:59 am

I'd like to see actual proof the scans caused the cancers. Given the risks ourweight what they are looking for,they dont just order them without good reason. Also some scans involve use use of dyes, which I know can be very risky and cause problems. my mother in law had some problems with the dyes, but can't recall exactly what happened. Sometimes medicines are harmfull, its like trading a headache for an upset stomack. The side affects can be worse than the problem, however they know treating one thing may result in a sideaffect that is hard to put up with, but considering not doing it is worse.
greeney2

Postby sandra » Tue Jan 19, 2010 3:37 pm

Yes I had to have a scan with the dyes, they use it for a more 3d view. Great greeney, you're making me paranoid of what I might have allowed into my body, however my health has been good since.
memory works both ways.”
sandra

Postby Snug » Tue Jan 19, 2010 11:58 pm

greeney2 wrote:I'd like to see actual proof the scans caused the cancers. Given the risks ourweight what they are looking for,they dont just order them without good reason. Also some scans involve use use of dyes, which I know can be very risky and cause problems. my mother in law had some problems with the dyes, but can't recall exactly what happened. Sometimes medicines are harmfull, its like trading a headache for an upset stomack. The side affects can be worse than the problem, however they know treating one thing may result in a sideaffect that is hard to put up with, but considering not doing it is worse.

Depends what you define as proof if you google CT Scans Cancer or http://www.canada.com/health/Radiation+ ... story.html

they mention 2 studies recently published that suggest this.

To deny radiation does not cause cancer would be wrong and the level of radiation in these scans is huge.

And to say they don't give CT scans unless a good reason is unfortunately not always the case. Most of my friends that have HIV mention they are recommended and get CT scans Once a year just as a precaution to catch early cancers.

I was also offered one when complaining about back pain when working a new job. As well as unfortunately getting one when i was diagnosed with depression years ago. For no reason other to check for "brain abnormalities"
Snug

Next

Return to Health & Health Hazards

• View new posts
  • View unanswered posts