The Black Vault Message Forums

Discover the Truth!        

Scientific Discoveries and Advancements

Latrobe Valley carbon capture plant opens

The newest revelations in the scientific world -- post articles, discussions and your own ideas.

Postby Tairaa » Tue Nov 24, 2009 11:18 pm

& yet nither of you have said how we would stop the stored co2 from re-entering the enviroment.

:lol:

That's because if you decompose it it won't be CO2 anymore, it'll be Carbon and Oxygen, silly!
"George Bush says he speaks to god every day, and christians love him for it. If George Bush said he spoke to god through his hair dryer, they would think he was mad. I fail to see how the addition of a hair dryer makes it any more absurd."
Tairaa

Postby rath » Wed Nov 25, 2009 9:16 am

Tairaa wrote:
& yet nither of you have said how we would stop the stored co2 from re-entering the enviroment.

:lol:

That's because if you decompose it it won't be CO2 anymore, it'll be Carbon and Oxygen, silly!

Yes, Carbon dioxide is comprised of one carbon and two oxygen atoms, but In its solid state, it is commonly known as dry ice.

However my point was / is.

Co2 is stored in trees ......... cut down tree .....tree rots, co2 released.

Co2 is stored in tree ...... tree burns in bush fire .......... co2 released.

Co2is stored in trees ......... tree cut down & turned into furniture .... furniture rots or burned,
& Co2 released.

Ice caps.

Co2 which is millions of years old is stored in the ice caps as tiny gas bubbles in the ice,

& if the Ice caps melt.

Carbon dioxide - Oceans

The Earth's oceans contain a huge amount of carbon dioxide in the form of bicarbonate and carbonate ions—much more than the amount in the atmosphere. The bicarbonate is produced in reactions between rock, water, and carbon dioxide. One example is the dissolution of calcium carbonate:

CaCO3 + CO2 + H2O ⇌ Ca2+ + 2 HCO3-

Reactions like this tend to buffer changes in atmospheric CO2. Reactions between carbon dioxide and non-carbonate rocks also add bicarbonate to the seas, which can later undergo the reverse of the above reaction to form carbonate rocks, releasing half of the bicarbonate as CO2. Over hundreds of millions of years this has produced huge quantities of carbonate rocks. If all the carbonate rocks in the earth's crust were to be converted back into carbon dioxide, the resulting carbon dioxide would weigh 40 times as much as the rest of the atmosphere.

The vast majority of CO2 added to the atmosphere will eventually be absorbed by the oceans and become bicarbonate ion, but the process takes on the order of a hundred years because most seawater rarely comes near the surface.

Since 1996 a Norwegian Oil Company Statoil , has been engaged in an experiment to test the feasibility of reservoir storage, pumping CO2 into a water-bearing sandstone layer known as the Utsira formation beneath its giant Sleipner gas fields. In this deep saline aquifer the CO2 becomes absorbed into the water within two or three years in the same way that CO2 dissolves in mineral water. It is hoped that localised chemical reactions will also cause some of the CO2 to form carbonates and bicarbonates that would remain stable for millennia. The Utsira formation currently holds four million tonnes of CO2 and there is plenty of room for more. Estimates suggest that the sandstone, which is capped by an impermeable shale layer, could hold three years worth of CO2 emissions from all the power stations in Europe put together. It is a cost effective exercise for Statoil too, for by storing the CO2 in this way they are saving themselves Norway’s hefty $38 a tonne carbon tax. They expect to recoup their $80 million investment within two years.

The idea of using old oil wells has also been extended to old coal seams. The idea is that the CO2 would become trapped by absorption onto the surface of the coal.

In 1986, 80 million cubic metres of volcanically derived CO2 gas dissolved in the bottom waters of Lake Nyos in Cameroon vented to the surface and asphyxiated 17,000 residents and countless livestock. The accidental dissociation of potentially huge amounts of industrial CO2-hydrate stored on the sea bed is probably only a matter of time and statistics and the consequences unimaginable.

from above article wrote:the water within two or three years in the same way that CO2 dissolves in mineral water. It is hoped that localised chemical reactions will also cause some of the CO2 to form carbonates and bicarbonates that would remain stable for millennia.

Oceans becoming acidic 'at fastest rate for 65 million years'

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/earth/earthn ... years.html

http://www.nunatsiaqonline.ca/stories/a ... hellfish_/
rath

Postby Tairaa » Wed Nov 25, 2009 9:24 am

Yes, Carbon dioxide is comprised of one carbon and two oxygen atoms, but In its solid state, it is commonly known as dry ice.
'
I know, and under normal pressure it doesn't go to liquid phase between solid and gas.

But I didn't say solidify it, that's not a good solution. I said decompose it.
http://www.google.ca/#hl=en&source=hp&q=chemistry+decomposition&btnG=Google+Search&meta=&aq=f&oq=chemistry+decomposition&fp=10f8372506f717a9

What do you propose we do about CO2 released in forest fires? Or by the oceans? What are we supposed to do about that? We're talking about reducing the CO2 we emit, not that created in nature.
"George Bush says he speaks to god every day, and christians love him for it. If George Bush said he spoke to god through his hair dryer, they would think he was mad. I fail to see how the addition of a hair dryer makes it any more absurd."
Tairaa

Postby Aquatank » Wed Nov 25, 2009 11:30 am

I don't see a good reason to decompose it, I see it as a raw material source for nanotube building materials and other carbon composites. The key being dual use.
Aquatank

Postby Tairaa » Wed Nov 25, 2009 5:10 pm

You want Carbon for carbon nanotubes, not carbon dioxide, right?

If that's correct then you do want to decompose the CO2 so you're left with no CO2, only carbon and oxygen.
Tairaa

Postby Aquatank » Thu Nov 26, 2009 5:57 am

Sorry I misread your statement earlier. I mistook it as decomposing carbon not CO2 which didn't make sense to me. I assumed we already got to seperation in this thread, and saw nothing wrong with storing the carbon by itself. so I mixed up my bad.
Aquatank

Postby Tairaa » Thu Nov 26, 2009 12:02 pm

That's what I was thinking happened. :)
Tairaa

Postby rath » Thu Dec 17, 2009 10:28 pm

Tairaa wrote:What do you propose we do about CO2 released in forest fires? Or by the oceans? What are we supposed to do about that? We're talking about reducing the CO2 we emit, not that created in nature.

The co2 in trees is by no means natural.

Do you really think trees can tell the different between co2 that was created by a cow farting & the co2 created from the billions of car on our hi ways.

it does not work like that.

90% of the carbon in trees, is still man made.

& well are making more co2 each & every day in ever new ways.

1) an increase in the amount of man made co2.

2) less places to store it.

When a tree burns in a forest fire, or a wooden table rots .......... a paper book or newspaper breaks down & decays, any & all co2 that was stored in the product5, (tree, wood, paper) is released fr4om storage & re-enters the atmosphere, where it will do further damage.

& lets not forget that the co2 in the ice caps will also be re-released into the atmosphere as the ice melts, an the co2 bubbles in the ice escape.

Old stored co2 being added to the already high current levels of co2 = speeding up of the entire climate change process.
rath

Postby Tairaa » Thu Dec 17, 2009 10:45 pm

Show me your sources.
Oh, you've got none.

Do you really think trees can tell the different between co2 that was created by a cow farting & the co2 created from the billions of car on our hi ways.

Do you really think that matters?
Tairaa

Postby rath » Fri Dec 18, 2009 10:20 am

Tairaa wrote:

Show me your sources.
Oh, you've got none.

Do you really think that matters?

:roll: :roll: :roll:

Retort.
Where is your scientific study that refutes my statements of fact.

Counter retort.
Tairaa wrote:Show me your sources.
Oh, you've got none.

We all know what sauce your on.

rath

PreviousNext

Return to Scientific Discoveries and Advancements

• View new posts
  • View unanswered posts