The Black Vault Message Forums

Discover the Truth!        

Religion & Spirituality

Home Depot fired him over God button

Whether you believe in a higher power or not, this forum is dedicated to the topic of religion and spirituality. We live in a diverse world with different morals and ideas when it comes to our beliefs, so come in and share your thoughts.

Postby humphreys » Sun Nov 15, 2009 8:47 am

Nesaie wrote:Wow, I'm surprised the Christians around here are chiming in as they are.

Personally, I believe in the Bill of Rights. I believe that anywhere in the US we all have a God given right of Free Speech and Religion. That means that this man was given a right by God to speak freely (his button) and to worship where he chooses (at work). I support this mans right to wear the button. The government cannot stop him. But, a corporation apparently can. :evil:

A question to the Christians here. When you're at work, do you separate your religion from what you do to earn a living?

What if you're a nazi or in a religion that supports the sacrifice of children?

I don't think it's inappropriate for a company to request a person not wear something that openly shows support for a possibly controversial belief, whether it be religious or political, especially seeing as it could offend customers, drive people away, or falsely associate the company itself with a certain stance.

Why not just make it the company's choice? They're paying the guy, right?
"All of our behavior can be traced to biological events about which we have no conscious knowledge: this has always suggested that free will is an illusion."

- Sam Harris
humphreys

Postby greeney2 » Sun Nov 15, 2009 10:58 am

It shouldn't be limited to beliefs or messages that are only controversal, the company has the right to restrict any button even if the issue is a good one. It has to be company authorized.

Example: Wearing a button on the uniform for something like MS and "Give to Jerry's kids". You may be sending a message to customers part of every sale is given, when the company may only give a limited amount to that particular cause.
greeney2

Postby Nesaie » Tue Dec 01, 2009 11:21 am

humphreys wrote:
Nesaie wrote:Wow, I'm surprised the Christians around here are chiming in as they are.

Personally, I believe in the Bill of Rights. I believe that anywhere in the US we all have a God given right of Free Speech and Religion. That means that this man was given a right by God to speak freely (his button) and to worship where he chooses (at work). I support this mans right to wear the button. The government cannot stop him. But, a corporation apparently can. :evil:

A question to the Christians here. When you're at work, do you separate your religion from what you do to earn a living?

I don't think it's inappropriate for a company to request a person not wear something that openly shows support for a possibly controversial belief, whether it be religious or political, especially seeing as it could offend customers, drive people away, or falsely associate the company itself with a certain stance.

Why bring up nazis? That isn't a religion.

As far as sacrifice of children, well we both know the history of chrisitanity. Many children have been murdered. In the bible it talks of killing first born sons.

I think it's inappropriate for a corporation to expect us to give up our God given rights. The Bill of Rights wasn't given to us by corporations or government. Our rights are given to us by God. Not necessarily the Christian God, but the Creator.
Such a society would be dominated by an elite, unrestrained by traditional values. Soon it will be possible to assert almost continuous surveillance over every citizen... - Zbigniew Brezhinsky
Nesaie

Postby humphreys » Tue Dec 01, 2009 11:43 am

Nesaie wrote:
humphreys wrote:

Why bring up nazis? That isn't a religion.

As far as sacrifice of children, well we both know the history of chrisitanity. Many children have been murdered. In the bible it talks of killing first born sons.

I think it's inappropriate for a corporation to expect us to give up our God given rights. The Bill of Rights wasn't given to us by corporations or government. Our rights are given to us by God. Not necessarily the Christian God, but the Creator.

Why would this only be about religion? I thought it was about a personal viewpoint, or belief. It could be religious, political, ethical, whatever, it's all the same.

Why should different rules apply to a religion?

Why would it be okay to wear a badge that shows support for a tyrannical God who tortures those who don't follow Him in Hell for all eternity, and advocates not allowing equal rights for homosexuals, and wants to ban mothers from having abortions in any circumstance, and is partly responsible for unimaginable horrors and wars and killings throughout history, but not for say, Satanism, or Nazism?

What all these things have in common is that they are personal beliefs that are often very controversial, and such beliefs a company has every right to keep completely separate from the job, and wearing a religious badge certainly does not fit in with that seperation. When we wears that badge, whether he likes it or not, it ties his beliefs in with those of his company's.
"All of our behavior can be traced to biological events about which we have no conscious knowledge: this has always suggested that free will is an illusion."

- Sam Harris
humphreys

Postby frrostedman » Tue Dec 01, 2009 1:56 pm

Nesaie wrote:As far as sacrifice of children, well we both know the history of chrisitanity. Many children have been murdered. In the bible it talks of killing first born sons.

Just curious. Where in the bible are any first born sons--other than Jesus--killed in the name of Christianity?
Every one who is seriously involved in the pursuit of science becomes convinced that a spirit is manifest in the laws of the Universe-a spirit vastly superior to that of man. - Albert Einstein
frrostedman

Postby bionic » Tue Dec 01, 2009 2:35 pm

I just have to wonder if he had been Muslim, Jewish, Buddhist and wore some pin honoring his religion, if it had been anything other than being Christian, would this had happened to him?

These days I see a-lot of blatant, and often outright cruel bigotry aimed at Christians.

Done proudly, by people who like to pride themselves in not being percieved as bigoted.
Like it's okay to act and talk like that about Christians, because "thye deserve it" or soemthing like that.

news flash..it's not okay..if you wouldn't do it or say it to a Muslim, a Buddhist, a Jew..don't do it to a Christian either

I, myself, was once guilty of this sometimes.

Perhaps it is a backlash, since historically many who claimed publically to be Christian were in fact, NOT acting that way..and took it upon themselves to take bigotry to a whole new level of evil.

or because many Christians are very public about their beliefs, as it's part iof their particular sect to proliferize

but like they say "two wrongs, don't make a right" (but three will get you back on the freeway)
Willie Wonka quotes..
What is this Wonka, some kind of funhouse?
Why? Are you having fun?
A little nonsense now and then is relished by the wisest men.
We are the music makers, we are the dreamers of dreams
bionic

Previous

Return to Religion & Spirituality

• View new posts
  • View unanswered posts