The Black Vault Message Forums

Discover the Truth!        

Scientific Discoveries and Advancements

Stephen Hawking has given up a prestigious academic title

The newest revelations in the scientific world -- post articles, discussions and your own ideas.

Postby BornAquarius » Fri Oct 02, 2009 7:40 pm

Hawking gives up academic title

Professor Stephen Hawking has given up a prestigious academic title.

The physicist, who has motor neurone disease, is completing his last day as Cambridge University's Lucasian Professor of Mathematics.

The university said it was policy for holders of the title to retire at 67 and Prof Hawking was 67 in January.

Prof Hawking, who is one of the world's leading cosmologists, will continue working at the university and a new Lucasian Professor will be appointed.

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/england/camb ... 282358.stm

This is so sad, his contributions have been amazing, keep on keeping on Mr. Hawking :)
"I'm impatient with stupidity. My people have learned to live without it." -- Klaatu in 'The Day the Earth Stood Still'
BornAquarius

Postby Mr_Headshot » Thu Oct 29, 2009 11:52 pm

Well, he didn't give it up really. He kinda had to, I mean he'll still be kept on the staff and I'm sure he'll be involved just as much, just not with his title.
Mr_Headshot

Postby Tairaa » Tue Nov 03, 2009 12:11 pm

He's a pretty amazing fella. And his wife is also an amazing woman, to stay with him through it all.
"George Bush says he speaks to god every day, and christians love him for it. If George Bush said he spoke to god through his hair dryer, they would think he was mad. I fail to see how the addition of a hair dryer makes it any more absurd."
Tairaa

Return to Scientific Discoveries and Advancements

• View new posts
  • View unanswered posts