The Black Vault Message Forums

Discover the Truth!        

General Discussion Topics

Aussie TV channel apologises for Jackson sketch

The Black Vault Message Forums has a considerable number of niche forums to place your post. If you can not find a home for it, and the topic doesn't fit anywhere else, then post it here.

Postby rath » Thu Oct 08, 2009 3:09 am

Harry Connick Jr impersonating a black preacher

Australian TV show Hey Hey It's Saturday in racism row over 'blackface' skit

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wMAyGewq37w&feature=player_embedded

http://www.thesun.co.uk/sol/homepage/ne ... e-row.html

http://entertainment.timesonline.co.uk/ ... 865623.ece

Harry Connick, Jr. on racially charged Michael Jackson act: 'I wouldn't have done the show' (video)

Harry Connick, Jr. was both shocked and amazed at an act that was impersonating Michael Jackson and his brothers, as he acted as guest judge on the show, Hey Hey It's Saturday, an Australian show. Connick gave the group a "0" score for the performance, as the audience booed; later, Connick gave a race-related speech explaining why black-face is a bad thing. "If I knew that was going to be a part of the show, I definitely wouldn't have done it.'
rath

Postby rath » Thu Oct 08, 2009 3:14 am

Harry Connick Jr a hypocrite?

October 08, 2009 12:25pm

A YOUTUBE clip is sweeping the world on Facebook and Twitter accusing Harry Connick Jr of double standards after his appearance on Hey Hey it's Saturday Reunion.
In the clip Connick Jr parodies a Deep South reverend on skit show MAD TV.

Social commentators are critical of the crooner because of his comments against a “racist” skit on last night's Hey Hey television show.

Users on Twitter and Facebook have questioned whether or not Connick Jr is a hypocrite after he branded a skit where four men painted their face black and danced to a song by the Jackson Five.

"If I knew that was going to be part of the show I definitely wouldn't have done it," Connick Jr said.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NPAsLMqRcqs
rath

Postby rath » Thu Oct 08, 2009 3:23 am

rath

Postby rath » Thu Oct 08, 2009 3:26 am

rath

Postby greeney2 » Thu Oct 08, 2009 9:34 am

Rath, Harry did the right thing, I'm not surprized at Austrailia, as my brother in law spent a year living in your country. His discription of austrailia is that the way blacks are treated, is more like 50years ago in the USA. He came home really saying how backwards Austrailia is in that department, where the cops friends he made, told him crimes against blacks go almost ignored.

What I see in that video, is obvously letting this act go on in the first place shows a national insensitivity to minorieties and stereotype illustrations. Second, the MC of the show said he was sorry to Harry and listened to him as his american perspective, but it seemed to go over his head how racist the act was. Hi appology to Harry was making him feel uncomfortable, but acknowledging the act itself was racist anyplace in the world. Third, the female judge seemed totally fine with the act and gave it a 7, seemingly a accepted attitude and perception of Blacks.

You commented on the other thread, that the USA is the "most racist country bar none", and parts of our history are shameful, however this is 2009 and you should compare our todays. I'm sorry but that act was shamfully racist, and the worst part seemed to be enjoyed, and accepted by your networks, the MC of the show, and an Austrailian judge. This kind of act in the USA would be regarded as totally racist and offencsive, and Harry really went light on you all, becasue he is a guest in your country.

You call Harry a Hypocrite, nothing could be further from the Truth. Harry has been one who has given enormous time and money to the rebuilding a New Orleans, and the problems of its many many citizens both black and white. He actually is a great humanitarian. I don;t think you know too much about the man when you call him a hypocrite. Maybe you should consider cleaning up your own countries act a little.
greeney2

Postby greeney2 » Thu Oct 08, 2009 9:45 am

Michael Richards was ostrasized for that night both publically and professionally. He affectively ended his carreer. Serena Williams was instantly fined an enormous amount of money and it was to be decided if she would be banned from further touraments. The Harry Conick clip is him participating with an all Black group doing this skit in character. The Jackson Jive is an all white group made up like "Mammy", and is done in a demeaning way.
greeney2

Postby chiselray » Thu Oct 08, 2009 4:18 pm

As critical as i am with my country,nothing was out of context here.Im still laughing at it all :lol:

I think the whole thing was ridiculous ,and to be honest when i heard of HCJs comments i thought was a whining troublemaker..The guys is making a doik out of himself.Most black people here would have laughed along with it..Only the ignorant or repressed have themselves to look at here..
But each their own,i guess its ok for hollywood to have white people dress black in movies ,but thats ok..
chiselray

Postby bionic » Thu Oct 08, 2009 7:11 pm

That was pretty f'd..but This is pretty funny...in a messed up kind of way...
Sarah Silverman, the "blackface" episode..
http://sarahsilverman.comedycentral.com ... oId=118606
Willie Wonka quotes..
What is this Wonka, some kind of funhouse?
Why? Are you having fun?
A little nonsense now and then is relished by the wisest men.
We are the music makers, we are the dreamers of dreams
bionic

Postby rath » Sun Oct 11, 2009 9:35 pm

chiselray wrote:As critical as i am with my country,nothing was out of context here.Im still laughing at it all :lol:

I think the whole thing was ridiculous ,and to be honest when i heard of HCJs comments i thought was a whining troublemaker..The guys is making a doik out of himself.Most black people here would have laughed along with it..Only the ignorant or repressed have themselves to look at here..
But each their own,i guess its ok for hollywood to have white people dress black in movies ,but thats ok..

the USA is projecting.

their projecting thair racist past & values onto Australia, & Australian's.

Australia doesn't have the racist past / present of the usa.
rath

Postby rath » Sun Oct 11, 2009 10:54 pm

Indian doctor in race row over MJ skit
9 October 2009.

MELBOURNE: An Indian-origin doctor has been caught in a race row in Australia after a skit in which he painted his face white to impersonate late pop icon Michael Jackson while other artists covered themselves in black paint.

Anand Deva, the Sydney-based plastic surgeon who was the frontman of Blackface skit on ‘Hey Hey its Saturday’ has to apologise and said it was ironic he was called a racist, given his Indian background. He said the Jackson Jive act on the show was not meant to cause offence.

“I am an Indian, and five of the six of us are from multicultural backgrounds and to be called a racist ... I don’t think I have ever been called that ever in my life before,” he said.

“Anyone who knows us as a group, we are intelligent people, we are all from different racial backgrounds so I am really truly surprised,” Deva said.

Deva was one of five men who starred in the skit. His face was painted white, impersonating Michael Jackson, while his back-up dancers donned black face paint and black wigs.
rath

Next

Return to General Discussion Topics

• View new posts
  • View unanswered posts