The Black Vault Message Forums

Discover the Truth!        

Space Discussions and Theories

Lunar Impact

From Mercury to Pluto and beyond. . .

Postby BornAquarius » Tue Oct 06, 2009 1:18 pm

Space Weather News for Oct. 6, 2009
http://spaceweather.com

LUNAR IMPACT: This Friday morning, Oct 9th, at approximately 4:30 am PDT, NASA's LCROSS spacecraft and its Centaur booster rocket will plunge one after another into a shadowed crater near the Moon's south pole. The spectacular double-impact will be shown live on NASA TV from the point of view of the LCROSS spacecraft. Meanwhile, impact debris plumes emerging from the crater may be visible through backyard telescopes. North American sky watchers west of the Mississippi river are favored with darkness and good views of the Moon at the time of impact. Visit http://spaceweather.com for observing tips and full coverage.
"I'm impatient with stupidity. My people have learned to live without it." -- Klaatu in 'The Day the Earth Stood Still'
BornAquarius

Postby greeney2 » Fri Oct 09, 2009 10:48 am

Hope nobody was out walking the dog at the time! :lol:

So far not too many pictures, I'm sure in a day or so, they will have some really good ones.
greeney2

Postby BornAquarius » Fri Oct 09, 2009 11:40 am

greeney2 wrote:Hope nobody was out walking the dog at the time! :lol:

So far not too many pictures, I'm sure in a day or so, they will have some really good ones.

Maybe yes maybe no, my understanding was that we could see the impact from with earth with a telescope, not! I am asuuming, hopefully there will pictures in the coming days.
"I'm impatient with stupidity. My people have learned to live without it." -- Klaatu in 'The Day the Earth Stood Still'
BornAquarius

Postby greeney2 » Fri Oct 09, 2009 11:23 pm

They expected a flume 6.2 miles high, but it didn't happen that way. Not sure how high it went. I'm curious when that size object hits at 6000MPH what would an euevalant size bomb be, and what would it register on a Ricter scale? How far away would a impact shock wave reach?

Even if they find water on the poles, is that a location that would be a good place for a permanant station, or would they be trading a best location, only for the water available?
greeney2

Return to Space Discussions and Theories

• View new posts
  • View unanswered posts