The Black Vault Message Forums

Discover the Truth!        

Other Paranormal and Occult

The waking nightmare of sleep paralysis

The paranormal and occult have many sides, discuss all other paranormal/occult topics that don't fit anywhere else.

Postby BornAquarius » Wed Oct 07, 2009 8:31 am

Imagine awaking to a strong sense of a 'presence', pressure on your chest, intense fear and hallucinations, but being incapable of moving a muscle

Professor French discusses sleep paralysis on
The One Show tonight on BBC1 at 7pm.

The light had been switched off, and a comfortable feeling of warmth and heaviness marked the onset of sleep. But suddenly a slurping sound startled the sleeper. Everything seemed completely normal – until he noticed the green liana which had grown from the pot plant and reached his body.

"Every movement became impossible, and every scream was smothered by the plant material that was growing around his mouth and throat. Thoughts raced through the mind: This wasn't a nightmare, the reality of the room was far too distinct and his perception and thinking were far too clear. Were the plants taking revenge on humankind, or had aliens conquered the planet?"

The above account sounds like a scene from a bad horror movie. But it isn't. Dr Stephan Matthiesen, a physicist at the School of Geosciences, University of Edinburgh, sent me the account last year saying he had personally experienced this terrifying scenario and lived to tell the tale. It's taken from his book The Normality of Altered States of Consciousness.
http://www.guardian.co.uk/science/2009/oct/02/sleep-paralysis

Interesting that he doesn't mention anything about sleep paralysis being a precursor to an OBE.
"I'm impatient with stupidity. My people have learned to live without it." -- Klaatu in 'The Day the Earth Stood Still'
BornAquarius

Postby mrshumphreys » Wed Oct 07, 2009 9:32 am

You know that like, 5 posts down there is already a topic for this, right? :?
"It's like arguing with a brick wall, except the brick wall thinks you're an idiot, and thinks it's winning." - Humphreys, that sexy beast.

Ph'nglui mglw'nafh Cthulhu R'lyeh wgah'nagl fhtagn
mrshumphreys

Postby BornAquarius » Wed Oct 07, 2009 11:44 am

Well yes I know, this thread is an announcement of a radio show on the subject tonight on BBC1 Radio tonight.......
"I'm impatient with stupidity. My people have learned to live without it." -- Klaatu in 'The Day the Earth Stood Still'
BornAquarius

Postby mrshumphreys » Wed Oct 07, 2009 2:49 pm

Oh, hell, I missed that part. I thought you were just quoting someone else as an opening to a discussion thread. Happens all the time.

My bad.
"It's like arguing with a brick wall, except the brick wall thinks you're an idiot, and thinks it's winning." - Humphreys, that sexy beast.

Ph'nglui mglw'nafh Cthulhu R'lyeh wgah'nagl fhtagn
mrshumphreys

Postby frrostedman » Wed Oct 07, 2009 10:45 pm

BornAquarius wrote:Imagine awaking to a strong sense of a 'presence', pressure on your chest, intense fear and hallucinations, but being incapable of moving a muscle

This happens to me in spurts. I'll go through several months and nothing, then it can happen 3 nights in the same week.

Everytime it happens I am completely terrified. I know all I have to do is reach over to my wife and shake her... just bump her hard enough to wake her up... so she can get me out of it. But I can't do it. I try to yell loud enough to wake her up but I open my mouth and nothing comes out.

It's the scariest experience I've ever had and I've been having them off and on for about 25 years.

I wouldn't wish it on my worst enemy.
"But let us not come up with any patronizing nonsense about Jesus being a great teacher. He has not left that open to us. He did not intend to." C.S. Lewis
frrostedman

Postby ghost1384 » Mon May 02, 2011 8:34 pm

Mine are always the same, i fall asleep but almost immeaditly awaken not able to move or talk, theres always a voice its the same each time and old woman either laughing or telling me she knows im here just wait i know where you are.

its been like this since i was a child... some fear im guessing its just always bad.
ghost1384

Return to Other Paranormal and Occult

• View new posts
  • View unanswered posts