The Black Vault Message Forums

Discover the Truth!        

Sci-Fi TV/Movies

District 9

Sci-Fi has amazed audiences since the dawn of television and movies. Come on in to chat about anything and everything Science Fiction.

Postby Wing-Zero » Mon Aug 24, 2009 8:38 pm

adamwarlock2099 wrote:Were we suppose to feel sorry for the aliens? I mean just like humans the aliens were engaging in illegal activities too. Sure just like humans treat each other we shuffled them in a corner and tried to forget about them, throwing at them just enough to say we were being humane. Both parties were responsible for the condition that the aliens were in. The involvement of the government in exploiting them to use their weapons for their own benefit isn't any different then what we have done to our own people. It seems the story is just using the aliens to tell a moral about how we use each other for our own selfish benefits. I don't think it was any more than that.

We were.

The whole movie is half about the real life events of District 6 and the other half is all about how "hoomins r bad!" and we should all be ashamed of ourselves.

If they were going for the guilt trip they could have at least made a better movie.
War is an extension of economics and diplomacy through other means.

Economics and diplomacy are methods of securing resources used by humans.

Securing resources is the one necessary behavior for all living things.

War = Life
Wing-Zero

Postby event_horizon » Sun Sep 06, 2009 12:06 pm

I absolutely loved everything about this movie. Great story and effects. I can't wait for the DVD and the sequel. 8-)
I don't believe what I believe because it's what I desire to believe. I believe what I believe because it's what logic and reason cause me to believe. All I want is to live with the truth -- nothing more, nothing less.
event_horizon

Postby cormac » Sun Sep 06, 2009 5:39 pm

so i finally got out to see D9 -- at the imax *drool* and it was great ... imho

just beware as i discuss i won't give out any big spoilers but some aspects of the movie you might not want to know before viewing will be included ... just so's ya's know's :P lol

so the FX were seamless ... i mean perfect ... they looked so freakin real is was, uh, freaky ... i can't wait for the dvd to see the 'how they did it' features ... hopefully they'll be including some of those ... man just outstanding ... the aliens were so good i forgot they were FX ... the true test of great FX i think ;)

and i know some people have whined about how the humans are portrayed but hey, time and time again throughout human history we have acted EXACTLY as the people in the movie act ... frankly, the 'documentary' type feel to the movie was a good move in that the way the humans act has been documented again and again ... so nice re-emphasis on that point ... but face it, we're savages dressed up a bit ... and not even dressed up that much ... we act like bigots and bullies and spree-killers and then try and justify it after the fact ... i'm not even talking about the commando 'death squads' (they had another name in the movie ... sorry can't remember right now) -- i'm talking about all the people on the street making the standard bigoted hateful statements people have made from as far as i know the beginning of time ... 'why do they have to be here', 'why don't they go home', 'why can't we send them home', 'even caging them up isn't enough' and on and on ... well sorry for those of you that might not like it too much but that is who we as a race and races are ... not badmouthing anyone in particular, just making my point ... it is us ...

then the uber-weinie hero was pretty annoying at first since he had no business being in that position, etc., but they work up some good sympathy for him ... i was even thinking "rocking!!" when he got the suit thing going ... man that thing was cool lol ...

the ending... perfect ... i don't like a nice tidy bundle necessarily so that suits me fine ... i know it's not everyone's cup of tea but there's no arguing the point really ...

so i liked it a lot ... one of the best movies i've seen in a while ... 5 out of 5 stars for me ... i was thinking that 3-d would have been cool but the hand-held camera feel to a lot of it probably would have made people hurl so maybe not for that kind of movie ;) lol
take care :)
cormac

"I have measured out my life with coffee spoons"
-- T.S. Eliot
cormac

Postby Lashmar » Thu Sep 17, 2009 7:46 am

They're showing it at the IMAX in london. I find it crule becuase I took the girlfriend to Chambridge to watch it and I could have waited a week and saw it in 3D or whatever IMAX is. :cry:
Read between the lies
Lashmar

Postby cormac » Fri Sep 18, 2009 10:56 am

Lashmar wrote:They're showing it at the IMAX in london. I find it crule becuase I took the girlfriend to Chambridge to watch it and I could have waited a week and saw it in 3D or whatever IMAX is. :cry:

oh god i hope you didn't see it in one of those cracker-box theatres ... it is well worth going to see again in imax i think ...

it's not 3d ... imax is like the old movie theatres (like when i was young ... no not the nickelodians :P) ... a BIG screen and great surround sound ... and the sound is so cool now that sometimes i glance in back of me if i hear a weird noise or comment just out of reflex and then am embarrassed because it was in the movie lol ... the first time i experienced this was in 'the mist' and there were so many freaky noises with those weird critters that during one part i had to stop myself from lifting my feet off the floor because it sounded like things were scurrying across the floor ...

the big screen and great sound make for a memorable experience these days especially :)
take care :)
cormac

"I have measured out my life with coffee spoons"
-- T.S. Eliot
cormac

Postby Dark-Samus » Sat Sep 19, 2009 7:25 am

I saw it yesterday, it was better than I thought, I find it strange though that these aliens did not coraporate more...
Almost...seemed as pathetic as humans...
Truth doesn´t control you, you control it...
Dark-Samus

Postby Wing-Zero » Sat Sep 19, 2009 2:58 pm

Dark-Samus wrote:I saw it yesterday, it was better than I thought, I find it strange though that these aliens did not coraporate more...
Almost...seemed as pathetic as humans...

Maybe it's not just a human thing. :lol:
War is an extension of economics and diplomacy through other means.

Economics and diplomacy are methods of securing resources used by humans.

Securing resources is the one necessary behavior for all living things.

War = Life
Wing-Zero

Postby Lashmar » Tue Sep 22, 2009 5:26 pm

cormac wrote:
Lashmar wrote:They're showing it at the IMAX in london. I find it crule becuase I took the girlfriend to Chambridge to watch it and I could have waited a week and saw it in 3D or whatever IMAX is. :cry:

oh god i hope you didn't see it in one of those cracker-box theatres ... it is well worth going to see again in imax i think ...

No it was a big one, a pretty good one as well.

I wouldn’t mind; last time we went to the pictures she was holding my hand when she decided to shoot down the row, she almost pulled me over and dislocated my shoulder at the same time; and when we went that time she did the same.

I’m going to box clever next time and pull her the other way. ;)
Read between the lies
Lashmar

Postby bionic » Mon Mar 15, 2010 8:45 pm

Hey Lash,
:)
I finally saw this movie a short while ago and I have to say ti is one of the best Sci Fi movies Ive seen in a long time.

Really a clever movie.
Willie Wonka quotes..
What is this Wonka, some kind of funhouse?
Why? Are you having fun?
A little nonsense now and then is relished by the wisest men.
We are the music makers, we are the dreamers of dreams
bionic

Postby ThemAreThoseUFOs » Thu Apr 08, 2010 7:28 am

Same here i think it is a great movie.
~DR3~
ThemAreThoseUFOs

Previous

Return to Sci-Fi TV/Movies

• View new posts
  • View unanswered posts