The Black Vault Message Forums

Discover the Truth!        

Questions that make you think...

Is MENTAL ILLNESS a MYTH?

In this forum, questions are asked which are really tough to answer. Some philosophical, some regarding morality and many others. Have fun, and post your own personal tough questions!

Postby ojorge » Tue Jun 30, 2009 11:12 am

We are beset on all sides by the mentally ill. I have worked with them for many years now.
The rx drugs sometimes help, sometimes they make someone worse. Some refuse to take their meds, peiod. Here are some points to consider when trying to prove or posit the "myth" of mental illness: Virginia Tech, Daughmer, Hitler, the Manson family, the leaders of Iran, North Korea and indeed, America. The only realistic alternative to mental illness, is demon possession.
ojorge

Postby Ventian » Sat Jul 25, 2009 12:42 am

I was diagnosed with a mental illness several years ago. It was a very serious case of depression. I started to take medication and seeing a therapist at least once every two weeks for three years straight. I listened and followed instructions intently that my therapist gave me and it became my goal in life to get better. During this time I also started having seizures but was careful not to let that control my life. After three years I came off of all my medication and cancelled all of my therapy. It is a struggle but "most" of the mental illnesses in todays society I believe can be relieved by toughening up your mind. Just my two cents though.
Ventian

Postby humphreys » Fri Aug 28, 2009 5:21 pm

What kind of question is that? Of course it is real.

Unless you are simply trying to imply that some kinds of mental illness are not illness at all, or that all mental afflictions can be cured without drugs, the question is retarded.

Even claiming the latter is ridiculous, and the claim that not all "mental illnesses" are real is probably true, but hardly surprising or controversial, and the same can be said for "illness" in general.
"All of our behavior can be traced to biological events about which we have no conscious knowledge: this has always suggested that free will is an illusion."

- Sam Harris
humphreys

Postby chiselray » Sat Sep 12, 2009 3:59 am

Too right..
chiselray

Previous

Return to Questions that make you think...

• View new posts
  • View unanswered posts