The Black Vault Message Forums

Discover the Truth!        

Black Vault Website & Forum Support

Typing messages that scroll beyond window cause problems

Need help? Do not know how to do something? Ask here! You may find your issue already addressed, so make sure you read through some of the threads already in existence.

Postby frrostedman » Thu Sep 10, 2009 8:10 am

I'm surprised no one else has asked about this. Everytime I type in a new message window, when the text reaches the bottom of the message window, the scroll bar for the window does not scroll with the text. So I can't see what I'm typing. I don't know if this is the new way of the bv trying to keep messages short or what but it's a real pain. I notice in my options that "Flash is OFF." Maybe that's it, I'll go look at my User Control Panel and see if there is an option to turn flash on, but again, I'm surprised that no one has complained about this yet.
Every one who is seriously involved in the pursuit of science becomes convinced that a spirit is manifest in the laws of the Universe-a spirit vastly superior to that of man. - Albert Einstein
frrostedman

Postby Lashmar » Thu Sep 10, 2009 8:13 am

What Browser are you using?

[Edit: That doesn't seem to be the case for me, I type out three very long posts in the last two day's and it seems to be fine for me.]

I notice in my options that "Flash is OFF." Maybe that's it, I'll go look at my User Control Panel and see if there is an option to turn flash on, but again, I'm surprised that no one has complained about this yet.

I noticed that this morning, I was going to look in the control panle to see what was up (I've kinda ran out of time today with work and crap :( ).
Read between the lies
Lashmar

Postby frrostedman » Thu Sep 10, 2009 8:18 am

IE 8

And I just found out that even though (I'm looking at it now) in the bottom left corner it says "[flash] is OFF", in my user control panel, flash is on. So I guess that wasn't it. I turned word censoring off, maybe that was the problem, who knows.

It's bizarre... when the message I'm typing scrolls beyond the window, which should make the scroll bar follow me along lower and lower as I go, what happens is this: When I press a key, the scroll bar jumps down to see the letter I typed. When I release the key, it jumps back up to where it was. So imagine as I'm typing, it bounces up and down constantly.
Every one who is seriously involved in the pursuit of science becomes convinced that a spirit is manifest in the laws of the Universe-a spirit vastly superior to that of man. - Albert Einstein
frrostedman

Postby Lashmar » Thu Sep 10, 2009 8:30 am

At a guess that would be IE 8 then. Do you have Firefox? Try downloading that and seeing if that works. Or maybe IE 8 has a new patch that would fix that sort of thing.

how long has it been like this? :?
Read between the lies
Lashmar

Postby frrostedman » Thu Sep 10, 2009 8:34 am

I just came back here about 2 or 3 days ago, it's been happening since my very first message. But if it's IE 8, surely someone else would have complained by now?
frrostedman

Postby Lashmar » Thu Sep 10, 2009 8:40 am

Yeah, I'm not sure what this is. Does it happen on any other site? have you tried it on another PC? :?
Read between the lies
Lashmar

Postby frrostedman » Wed Sep 16, 2009 12:42 am

It happens on both of my PC's (both have IE 8) and only on this site. I've tried changing themes and that did nothing. Oh well, I'll just have to deal with it. There's probably just a handful of people who actually type (not paste) messages long enough to extend lower than the window and maybe none of them are using IE 8. I guess I could try clicking on the "compatibility view" option in IE 8, which is supposed to make non IE-8 compliant websites look and function better.
frrostedman

Postby frrostedman » Wed Sep 16, 2009 12:43 am

I just turned "compatibility view" on permanently for this site. Soon I'll find out if that works.
frrostedman

Postby Lashmar » Wed Sep 16, 2009 2:20 am

I write most of mine in MS word mainly because it's open all the time and it has a spell checker, which is very useful for someone like me. Only problem is every now and again I copy something off that I don’t want to, as in links to videos and such crap.
Read between the lies
Lashmar

Postby frrostedman » Thu Sep 17, 2009 1:16 am

I hear you, it's probably a good idea to type out the message in MS Word first.

Anyway, ever since using the "Compatibility View" option in IE 8, I have no problems anymore.. so that must have fixed it.

Yay!! :D
frrostedman

Next

Return to Black Vault Website & Forum Support

• View new posts
  • View unanswered posts