The Black Vault Message Forums

Discover the Truth!        

Religion & Spirituality

What It Means to be Human

Whether you believe in a higher power or not, this forum is dedicated to the topic of religion and spirituality. We live in a diverse world with different morals and ideas when it comes to our beliefs, so come in and share your thoughts.

Postby starman » Thu Apr 09, 2009 2:52 pm

Moore's Law states, basically, that computer power will double every 18-24 months. When this phenomenon will end, is anyone's guess. Today's cell phone has more processing power than the Lunar Module had in 1969. Our advancement in technology is changing how we think of ourselves as a species. We are a species beginning to take control of who we are. We, as a species, are beginning to see through the religious dogma that has permeated our society for centuries. The number of people that associate themselves with Christianity is on the decline. The reason for this decline is clearly evident. Scientific discoveries in new technologies has greatly improved our understanding of the Universe. Through science, we now know we are all connected from one common ancestor, not Adam and Eve. As I see it, science is not only helping us to understand the outer shell of our existence, science is turning inward, penetrating the very fabric of our being. In other words, science is fundamentally changing what it means to be human.
a book without light
unless with love we write ~ Moody Blues
starman

Postby inja » Thu Apr 09, 2009 3:09 pm

Technology has done some wonderful things and I think it is right to say that it has brought the universe closer to us. Science is not fundamentally changing what it means to be human.....for that you got to think first. Technology also has a side that is smelly, loud, hectic, time consuming, and an attention hog and has managed very well to extinguish in a lot of people self reflection. It is the few that look at our technology today and view ourselves in a different light.

And what is this "we are a species beginning to take control of who we are?" Have they looked around lately?

Who are we? What are we? Why are we?
I don't think technology has answered any of those questions other than maybe in a biological and chemical way............and you know millions upon million upon millions of people......billions actually......believe in a higher source.....doesn't matter what the source is called within each culture.....for a lot of those people (not the masses either) technology has brought this source closer to ones heart. Even to those who choose dogma.
Truth is stranger than fiction, because fiction has to make sense.
inja

Postby Questioner101 » Thu Apr 09, 2009 3:58 pm

all connected from one common ancestor

So that old story about Zeus's side and Athena are true??

(Single-cell split...??)
"I'm disinclined to acquiesce to your request."
Questioner101

Postby CodeBlack » Thu Apr 09, 2009 5:06 pm

Science will not to long from now allow us to create AI robots that are smarter than us. Then we will begin to convert humans to robots, body part by body part. Eventually we will be all mecha and we will be immortal, AND I WILL RULE THE WORLD! :P
N2TheBlack
CodeBlack

Postby starman » Thu Apr 09, 2009 7:12 pm

inja wrote:Technology has done some wonderful things and I think it is right to say that it has brought the universe closer to us. Science is not fundamentally changing what it means to be human.....for that you got to think first. Technology also has a side that is smelly, loud, hectic, time consuming, and an attention hog and has managed very well to extinguish in a lot of people self reflection. It is the few that look at our technology today and view ourselves in a different light.

And what is this "we are a species beginning to take control of who we are?" Have they looked around lately?

I don't think technology has answered any of those questions other than maybe in a biological and chemical way............and you know millions upon million upon millions of people......billions actually......believe in a higher source.....doesn't matter what the source is called within each culture.....for a lot of those people (not the masses either) technology has brought this source closer to ones heart. Even to those who choose dogma.

Thanks to biological and technological advances, I think it's fair to say that as a species we are in the early stages of controling human evolution. Scientific research involving DNA therapy, tissue regeneration through stem cell research, our advancement in robotics, will improve our species. Since Galileo first gazed into our Universe, science has been slow to advance. But now, that's no longer the case. Moore's Law is in effect. But there will always be “moral” issues when it comes to scientific research. But I think more and more people are beginning to use their critical thinking skills. Of course there are many, many, many people that believe in God. Nothing wrong with that. All I'm saying is, it's science that is changing what it means to be human, not religion, as once was the case. Just my opinion.
a book without light
starman

Postby inja » Thu Apr 09, 2009 7:58 pm

starman wrote:
inja wrote:Technology has done some wonderful things and I think it is right to say that it has brought the universe closer to us. Science is not fundamentally changing what it means to be human.....for that you got to think first. Technology also has a side that is smelly, loud, hectic, time consuming, and an attention hog and has managed very well to extinguish in a lot of people self reflection. It is the few that look at our technology today and view ourselves in a different light.

Thanks to biological and technological advances, I think it's fair to say that as a species we are in the early stages of controling human evolution. Scientific research involving DNA therapy, tissue regeneration through stem cell research, our advancement in robotics, will improve our species. Since Galileo first gazed into our Universe, science has been slow to advance. But now, that's no longer the case. Moore's Law is in effect. But there will always be “moral” issues when it comes to scientific research. But I think more and more people are beginning to use their critical thinking skills. Of course there are many, many, many people that believe in God. Nothing wrong with that. All I'm saying is, it's science that is changing what it means to be human, not religion, as once was the case. Just my opinion.

I'm not putting technology down. I happen to love biology and even chemistry. Controlling human evolution...that is an interesting thought. Not one I particularly like nor one I actually believe in either. I find mother nature too be much stronger and more powerful than what we are or have even accomplished. Billions of years of evolution vs our experimentation's. Not knocking us, we have accomplished a lot no doubt but in the DNA of life around us there is more info and memory stored than what we are consciously aware of about ourselves. I guess I do not care for the idea of us controlling our own evolution because (never mind religious morality) we lack a sense of justice...we lack the idea of "one for all and all for one"....we would create different types of humans in the end and have a cast system created purely by the choice of affordable DNA types. I like what technology does for my life. The simple things....wash machines, toasters, flip of a switch and presto there is light, my car, medical miracles etc. The fun things too...movies, my cell phone that has access to the internet, computer....I LOVE MY GPS.....etc. but I don't much trust in our current system and where it is heading.

I'll agree with you that science has and will continue to change who we are as human beings but here science often reminds me of religion where it has it's own strict rules and you fall outside of those rules there is ridicule and even denial of discoveries that don't fit our picture of who we are as humans. Of course at this point there is no perfect system and so science certainly has broadened our horizons where religion does not. But spirituality does....and it can and does take me farther than just science or just religion.

God will always exist in one form or another. There will always be questions that haven't been explained yet or personal mysteries and experiences that cannot be explained by science (cause we are still very closed minded on certain levels). And than there is science that will help deepen those questions about God. This cycle between a Source and science is endless and this in my eyes is a good thing.

But I am curious what is it you wish to see happen with the controlling of our own evolution? I happen to look at it rather through gloomy eyes(I am sure you didn't notice :) )....the dude above is thrilled cause he, she, it has rather miraculously convinced themselves they will rule the world........and you what do you believe?
Truth is stranger than fiction, because fiction has to make sense.
inja

Postby Dark-Samus » Thu Apr 09, 2009 8:51 pm

We all choose to be what kind of human we want to be so in human terms, there really is no official...description of what it means toi be human...
However, at the same time, we are no different from any creature on this earth when it comes to the cycle of life... ;)
Truth doesn´t control you, you control it...
Dark-Samus

Postby Lashmar » Fri Apr 10, 2009 9:09 am

being human means you're the only thing on earth that can piss standing up. 8-)

sorry that's if you're a man. :lol:
Read between the lies
Lashmar

Postby Questioner101 » Fri Apr 10, 2009 11:08 am

Well, they're generating human body parts from modified pig tissue...(what does that say about human genetic composition??)
"I'm disinclined to acquiesce to your request."
Questioner101

Postby starman » Fri Apr 10, 2009 2:08 pm

inja wrote:
But I am curious what is it you wish to see happen with the controlling of our own evolution? I happen to look at it rather through gloomy eyes(I am sure you didn't notice :) )....the dude above is thrilled cause he, she, it has rather miraculously convinced themselves they will rule the world........and you what do you believe?

Through controlling our own evolution I hope to see children grow up to be adults and not taken away from us because of some disease we don't have a cure for. Perhaps by controlling our own evolution, we can put an end to keeping those that are already dead on a machine pumping oxygen to their brain while at the same time sucking the life out of family and friends. I'm not sure where controlling our own evolution will take us, but it has to be better than it is now.

I believe in reality. I'm a realist. I think for myself and therefore I don't believe in what I'm told to believe. I believe the world would be a better place if reality were more important to the majority of society. The tree of knowledge is the soul of humanity. We're better off now than we were hundreds of years ago because the tree has grown. Hopefully the tree will continue to grow. I believe in what I know to be real.
a book without light
starman

Next

Return to Religion & Spirituality

• View new posts
  • View unanswered posts