The Black Vault Message Forums

Discover the Truth!        

Aviation and Aeronautical Technology

The New Documents on the Bell X-5 ??

Here, you will find discussions on Top Secret military aviation, historical aircraft, and everything in between!

Postby Paleo » Fri Jul 24, 2009 6:16 pm

I was just going over the documents on the Bell X-5 that were just recently posted up on this site's main page. I got thru a lot of it... but, I was wondering if someone here, possibly you John, could tell me, exactly what the significance is for these documents... What I mean is, I suppose I'm just not making the right connections... do u get what I'm saying?
Paleo

Postby greeney2 » Sun Jul 26, 2009 12:14 pm

John has for many years been very active in searching Bell Aircraft records in an attempt to find my Dad, his Grandfather, in the records of several Bell projects. In this case, my Dad was a big part of the X-5 program, as well as the X-1,X-1a,X-2, and Rascal missile programs. ON the X-5 program, in 1951 our family came to California from Buffalo for several months while the maiden test flights of the X-5 were done. I was 4 years old, we lived in Pearblossom,and Dad went everyday to Edwards A/F base. My Dad was the field flight test engineer on the program. We have always been in hopes to find his name in reports, but some of those reports are probably part of Bell Aircraft records, and not Air Force since that was the time when the aircraft was still within the Bell company, and not turned over to the airforce yet. If you read some of the X-5, the test piolet Ziegler was a Bell pilot, lost his life in one of the X-2's over Lake Onterio. The Bell X-5 led to other aircraft years later and technology learned about variable swept wings advanced and were used in the B1 bomber and other aircraft.

John did a program at the wright Patterson air force base, and had a tour of the air force museum where he took his picture leaning up on the only X-5 in existance. I have that picture in my living room, and to think my Dads hands were all over that aircraft, and John has touched it, means a lot to me, as I;ve never seen it. It was in restoration when I visited the museum many years ago. The other X-5 was lost in test flight, but one of the last people to fly it was Niel Armstrong. Both X-2's crashed, one killing Ziegler, and the other killing Mel Apt, who had just set a new speed record when it went out of control killing him. Zieglers death led to the discovery of a "Ulmer Gasket", that had failed in some X-1's causing explosions when they would fail.

John and I have always been interrested in Bell history, trying to find my Dad in Records. Someday I;m sure we will find something he signed or wrote, becasue he was a big part of the areonautical engineeing and top levels of these programs. He knew all the test pilots, and worked daily with Wright Patterson and many high ranking people of the time. Finding records he signed or touched will be like "roots", when he finds his family.
greeney2

Postby Paleo » Tue Jul 28, 2009 8:53 am

greeney2 wrote:John has for many years been very active in searching Bell Aircraft records in an attempt to find my Dad, his Grandfather, in the records of several Bell projects. In this case, my Dad was a big part of the X-5 program, as well as the X-1,X-1a,X-2, and Rascal missile programs. ON the X-5 program, in 1951 our family came to California from Buffalo for several months while the maiden test flights of the X-5 were done. I was 4 years old, we lived in Pearblossom,and Dad went everyday to Edwards A/F base. My Dad was the field flight test engineer on the program. We have always been in hopes to find his name in reports, but some of those reports are probably part of Bell Aircraft records, and not Air Force since that was the time when the aircraft was still within the Bell company, and not turned over to the airforce yet. If you read some of the X-5, the test piolet Ziegler was a Bell pilot, lost his life in one of the X-2's over Lake Onterio. The Bell X-5 led to other aircraft years later and technology learned about variable swept wings advanced and were used in the B1 bomber and other aircraft.

John did a program at the wright Patterson air force base, and had a tour of the air force museum where he took his picture leaning up on the only X-5 in existance. I have that picture in my living room, and to think my Dads hands were all over that aircraft, and John has touched it, means a lot to me, as I;ve never seen it. It was in restoration when I visited the museum many years ago. The other X-5 was lost in test flight, but one of the last people to fly it was Niel Armstrong. Both X-2's crashed, one killing Ziegler, and the other killing Mel Apt, who had just set a new speed record when it went out of control killing him. Zieglers death led to the discovery of a "Ulmer Gasket", that had failed in some X-1's causing explosions when they would fail.

John and I have always been interrested in Bell history, trying to find my Dad in Records. Someday I;m sure we will find something he signed or wrote, becasue he was a big part of the areonautical engineeing and top levels of these programs. He knew all the test pilots, and worked daily with Wright Patterson and many high ranking people of the time. Finding records he signed or touched will be like "roots", when he finds his family.

Wow. Thanks so much for the info. I really appreciate it. I had no idea that your father and Johns Grandfather were so involved. It's so exciting to find truths, especially when they involve your own family's history.

I, myself, have a similar historical family story, only, instead of the AF, it's in Rock n' Roll!
Paleo

Postby Paleo » Thu Jul 30, 2009 4:19 am

greeney2 wrote:John has for many years been very active in searching Bell Aircraft records in an attempt to find my Dad, his Grandfather, in the records of several Bell projects. In this case, my Dad was a big part of the X-5 program, as well as the X-1,X-1a,X-2, and Rascal missile programs. ON the X-5 program, in 1951 our family came to California from Buffalo for several months while the maiden test flights of the X-5 were done. I was 4 years old, we lived in Pearblossom,and Dad went everyday to Edwards A/F base. My Dad was the field flight test engineer on the program. We have always been in hopes to find his name in reports, but some of those reports are probably part of Bell Aircraft records, and not Air Force since that was the time when the aircraft was still within the Bell company, and not turned over to the airforce yet. If you read some of the X-5, the test piolet Ziegler was a Bell pilot, lost his life in one of the X-2's over Lake Onterio. The Bell X-5 led to other aircraft years later and technology learned about variable swept wings advanced and were used in the B1 bomber and other aircraft.

So you're... Johns' Father then?? Is that right? Tell me... how much do you and your son agree on and how much do you guys differ in opinions, typically, from the content on his/this website??
Paleo

Return to Aviation and Aeronautical Technology

• View new posts
  • View unanswered posts