The Black Vault Message Forums

Discover the Truth!        

General Discussion Topics

Two Great Boxers Die On The Same Week

The Black Vault Message Forums has a considerable number of niche forums to place your post. If you can not find a home for it, and the topic doesn't fit anywhere else, then post it here.

Postby _Billy_ » Sat Jul 11, 2009 9:18 pm

Former New Jersey boxing champ Arturo Gatti found dead at Brazilian resort.

MANAGUA, Nicaragua — Managua Mayor Alexis Arguello, a three-time world boxing champion, was found dead at his home Wednesday, his Sandinista Party's Radio Ya said.

Radio Ya said coroners were conducting an autopsy on the 57-year-old mayor to determine the cause of death, but it appeared to be a suicide. The La Prensa newspaper reported he was found with a gunshot wound to the chest.

The Hall of Fame boxer was the top fighter of the 20th century in his weight class, according to a panel of experts assembled by The Associated Press in 1999.

The death of Arguello prompted President Daniel Ortega to announced he was canceling a trip to Panama for the inauguration of President-elect Ricardo Martinelli.

Arguello fought against the Sandinista government in the 1980s after it seized his property and bank account, according to the International Boxing Hall of Fame.

But he joined the party to win the mayorship of the capital in 2008, though opponents alleged the vote was fraudulent.

"We are upset," said presidential spokeswoman, Rosario Murillo, who declined to give details about the death. "This is a heartbreaking announcement. He was the champion of the poor, an example of forgiveness and reconciliation."

Born in 1952, the Hall of Fame boxer fought 14 world champions and in 1981 he became the sixth man in boxing history to win a title in three weight divisions — featherweight, super featherweight and lightweight — according to the International Boxing Hall of Fame.

Arguello returned Sunday from Puerto Rico where he honored the late baseball Hall of Famer Roberto Clemente.

Both were great boxers and champions.
"Laissez Les Bon Temps Roulez" Let the Good Times Roll
_Billy_

Postby Cole_Trickle » Sun Jul 12, 2009 6:03 am

Many times the word Great is way over used but in this case it's very accurate when used to describe one of my all time favorite people, not just boxer, in Arguello. He was true class and a complete technical BOXER in the ring, something few have ever approached.

When Hagler bagged in in Vegas I soured on Boxing forever, but I'll never forget those men of class, it's a very small room when it comes to boxing. Arguello is surely one at the head of that class along with very few others.

I was one who spoke out about his fight with, ( I WON'T SAY HIS NAME ) I'll just call him a spook, that's exactly what he was. He's also dead, but died from crack abuse face down and flat broke in a slum in Cincy. A fitting end for a cheating scum bag who was allowed to rob Arguello of his title and damn near kill him in the process.

This is truly a sad story. RIP Alexis!

Cole

PS. If you happen upon this POS on the other side, please kick his ass again for an old friend.

That photo causes me to ask for the spit bucket so I can puke in it!
Cole_Trickle

Postby greeney2 » Sun Jul 12, 2009 8:43 am

I missed your post, I just posted the same thing. Between the sports world, Music and Hollywood worlds, we have lost a lot of legends from all, this month. Hard to picture the real lives of these people, who we only know from their entertaining us. 2 great boxes dead from murder and suicide, Legends like Ed McMahon who went broke, the disfunctional life of Farrah Facett, and the private life of Michael Jackson, ending in a bazzar use of drugs.

Fame and fortune isn't always what its cracked up to be. We should all remember that next time we envy those things too much. They live life in the fast lane, and too many times find there fate in that lifestyle. Most of us life normal lives and struggle, count our blessings, and be glad for the little things in life. The big things, fame and forture, really arn;t that important in the end. Being gone at the ages many of these stars are, is tragic.
greeney2

Postby greeney2 » Mon Jul 13, 2009 11:59 am

Not looking too good for Arturo's wife right now. Being held and talking to her about murder. Hard to picture someone who we saw such a brawler in the ring, being overpowered by a wife and stangled with her purse strap. Can't imagine some sort of phyical battle unless she conked him unconsciencous first than finished him off.
greeney2

Return to General Discussion Topics

• View new posts
  • View unanswered posts