The Black Vault Message Forums

Discover the Truth!        

Sci-Fi TV/Movies

Transformers: Revenge of the Fallen Review

Sci-Fi has amazed audiences since the dawn of television and movies. Come on in to chat about anything and everything Science Fiction.

Postby Dark-Samus » Thu Jun 25, 2009 1:04 am

Dark-Samus´s Review:

I`m not here to write about the movie itself so I won´t reveal any spoilers for those who hasn´t seen it yet.
But I am going to wrtie about how the movie went for me...

Plot : 6

A bit better plot than the previous movie although still not as...satisfying as it could be.

Characters : 8

Some could have been without, other´s could have improved while other´s did improve, like Bumblebee,Sam´s parents and Optimus Prime...*sign*...
A few new characters specially on the human roles are a very nice welcome.

Character Design : 8,5

Still made good except none of the Transformers looked real enough as the first movie except Bumblebee...
They weren´t "Cyborgy" enough which was the same problem at Terminator Salvation...

Effects : 10

As good as they can be today so no problems here other than some small details that most won´t even care about anyway.

Content : 8

Lots and lots of jokes...which were really great although some jokes could have been left off...
Even more it was the jokes themselves that killed this movie for me a bit because it takes the level of seriousness the first movie had away which made it better than the cartoon Transformers.
It´s a shame they decided to make this into another kiddy/teen movie and not a groundbreaking movie like the first one...
I`m not saying the movie was bad because it wasn´t...but still...it felt more like watching a movie like Ice Age than a realistic one...
Not all the way though...
I have to give credit to Shia and Megan since they were practicly the ones keeping a serious tone with all jokes around...of course they had their real fun moments aswell...
Fight scenes...well what can be said...it´s Transformers and Michael Bay...enough said...but I still think it lacked the rawness the first movie had on its fight scenes...

Music : 9,5

The music was a bit better than the first one because it was also one of the few things that kept a serious tone throughout the movie.
It´s a robotic,epical tone to it as the first one.
So I`m glad it worked.

Most impressive thing : Pure entertainment

Most disapointing thing : The tone of the movie, felt more like a teen movie than a serious one...It makes the trailers look better...when it comes to the tone of the movie...which was supposed to be darker...

Overall : 8,5

A worthy sequel and could be the most succesful movie this year.
If it kept the seriousness of the first movie I could have given it a 10 but now...it´s like this...the ending wans´t much of a deal either...
So I think most people will enjoy this movie but it´s not really a movie that you really care about to talk forever...
But certainly kicks Terminator Salvation´s ass any day by lightyears...
Truth doesn´t control you, you control it...
Dark-Samus

Postby Wing-Zero » Fri Jun 26, 2009 2:43 am

Long. As. F**k.

I went in at 10:55 at night thinking, "Alright, cool, 2 hour movie." F**kin' NO. 3 and a half bloody hours of different plots going left and right, useless Decepticons and the all important racist twins. Don't get me wrong, they were funny as hell, but come on. A gold tooth? Big Dumbo ears? They can't read? For God's sakes, it's like Michael Bay doesn't even TRY to be subtle with this crap anymore.

The fights were legit though. Like when Prime ripped out "The Fallen's" spark thing.

Speaking of The Fallen, who the HELL is that guy? He wasn't in the original movie. Hell, I don't think he was in the series or the comics either.

I give that movie 6.5 out of 10, and that's being lenient.
War is an extension of economics and diplomacy through other means.

Economics and diplomacy are methods of securing resources used by humans.

Securing resources is the one necessary behavior for all living things.

War = Life
Wing-Zero

Postby Dark-Samus » Fri Jun 26, 2009 4:32 am

I didn´t get the twins either...sure they were alot of fun many times but...in the end...what was the deal anyway?
And the Fallen...most disapointing character in the movie...because of Micahel Bay...
He has so much powers and yet he loses to a stupid Prime who couldn´t even beat Megatron in the first movie?!

WTF IS THE DEAL?!!!!!

And why did most Transformers look like fucking dumb gremlins?
I gave it such socre because it´s pure entertainment...but since this tunred into a kiddy movie...nah...too bad Steven Spielberg wasn´t even there to make the movie at all...
Stupid fans aswell...their fault wanting this to be like the cartoons...ffs...watch the cartoons instead and stop making these good movies into crappy kiddy sh*t! :evil: :evil: :evil:
Truth doesn´t control you, you control it...
Dark-Samus

Postby Percival » Thu Jul 02, 2009 12:16 pm

It looked amazing but was frankly a bit of a mess. It was far too long, and yet the pace was relentless, it was like the longest roller-coaster ever, it really needed to slow down once in a while. The plot was lost amid all the action, the script was some after-thought, and the new characters given no chance to establish themselves. Example: in the first set-piece Sideways is shown as a kick-ass slick autobot warrior, but where is he after that? What was the point of Sam's geeky college room-mate? Lots of new robots but no real point to their inclusion other than to satiate the fans desire to see more than the handful in the first film.

I dunno, I guess punters just wanna see CGI robots kicking the hell out of each other, and it had that in spades, but even then some things bothered me. Megatron seems a lot weaker compared to the first film, and Prime a lot stronger. Also, the action was nearly always from the subjective point of view, as if you were standing right there in the middle of the fight, making it difficult to tell what was happening.

And why were all the decepticons grey? Why were the pyramids suddenly in Jordan? As for the twins - just WHY??? Surely these were Michael Bay's equivalent of George Lucas' Jar Jar Binks. Pointless, childish nonsense based on dodgy stereotypes.

And what is Michael Bay's obsession with the military? At times this seemed more like a film about Desert Storm or something, there were so many shots of tanks and troops deploying, planes taking off, control room scenes, and air strikes 'bringing the rain'.

That said, it's transformers, Prime is a legend, and the main human characters just about managed to keep it all together. Shia was dependably good, and Megan Fox....well, she excelled at what she was required to do 8-)
Percival

Return to Sci-Fi TV/Movies

• View new posts
  • View unanswered posts