The Black Vault Message Forums

Discover the Truth!        

Religion & Spirituality

interesting religious read

Whether you believe in a higher power or not, this forum is dedicated to the topic of religion and spirituality. We live in a diverse world with different morals and ideas when it comes to our beliefs, so come in and share your thoughts.

Postby pandasex » Tue Apr 14, 2009 4:10 pm

http://www.scientificblogging.com/scien ... till_exist

i often wonder why religion still exists but this article was still a good read.......thoughts are welcome
BURNING MAN, burning man, BuRnInG mAn,
pandasex

Postby Dark-Samus » Tue Apr 14, 2009 11:50 pm

Religion still exists because humans are still too stupid to know where they want to be and what they want :twisted:
the answer is so easy really...but I won´t tell you... :twisted: :mrgreen:
Truth doesn´t control you, you control it...
Dark-Samus

Postby Nesaie » Wed Apr 15, 2009 2:52 am

Once again, a person who confuses religion with God. The two things are totally different issues.

I love religious mythology, there is an art to that. I love Zen and Tao stories, they are true parables. I wouldn't call Zen or Tao religion, I'd call them philosophy and waaaay better than psychology.

I choose to believe in God, not religion made by man. God is, that's it. The only thing the changes is my perception of God.

It is disappointing to read an "atheist" making the same mistake as a christian by confusing God with religion. It is understandable, since most people in the West are only aware of the volcano god Yahweh. That one was a cruel one. Maybe Atheists too should explore other concepts of gods to realize this is only one of thousands. Maybe they'd find a more rational God or a God that fit more with their personality. Or, maybe they'd realise that most gods are created in their creator's image, the man who imagined them.
Such a society would be dominated by an elite, unrestrained by traditional values. Soon it will be possible to assert almost continuous surveillance over every citizen... - Zbigniew Brezhinsky
Nesaie

Postby Dark-Samus » Wed Apr 15, 2009 2:55 am

Yes God is God, religion has nothing to do with the true purpose of faith really.
Truth doesn´t control you, you control it...
Dark-Samus

Postby Nesaie » Wed Apr 15, 2009 3:08 am

The word faith is overused. The belief in God is a choice. Religion requires "faith" without explanations. When religion is completely illogical and a question is asked, the answer is always "faith".

I've got a problem with the way that word is used. ;)
Such a society would be dominated by an elite, unrestrained by traditional values. Soon it will be possible to assert almost continuous surveillance over every citizen... - Zbigniew Brezhinsky
Nesaie

Postby mrshumphreys » Wed Apr 15, 2009 10:29 am

Nesaie wrote:Once again, a person who confuses religion with God. The two things are totally different issues.

I love religious mythology, there is an art to that. I love Zen and Tao stories, they are true parables. I wouldn't call Zen or Tao religion, I'd call them philosophy and waaaay better than psychology.

I choose to believe in God, not religion made by man. God is, that's it. The only thing the changes is my perception of God.

It is disappointing to read an "atheist" making the same mistake as a christian by confusing God with religion. It is understandable, since most people in the West are only aware of the volcano god Yahweh. That one was a cruel one. Maybe Atheists too should explore other concepts of gods to realize this is only one of thousands. Maybe they'd find a more rational God or a God that fit more with their personality. Or, maybe they'd realise that most gods are created in their creator's image, the man who imagined them.

Oh, I don't think this is true at all.
Most atheists I know are aware of many gods besides the Judeo-Christian one.
None of the gods that I've ever encountered has been anything even remotely approaching rational, although some are certainly more interesting than others!

Anywho, I believe you already know my feelings about Zen, so no argument there.
"It's like arguing with a brick wall, except the brick wall thinks you're an idiot, and thinks it's winning." - Humphreys, that sexy beast.

Ph'nglui mglw'nafh Cthulhu R'lyeh wgah'nagl fhtagn
mrshumphreys

Postby pandasex » Wed Apr 15, 2009 4:09 pm

just for the record....i wasnt trying to provoke any feelings. I just thought it was interesting. I would like to add im not religious but i dont consider myself to be an atheist
BURNING MAN, burning man, BuRnInG mAn,
pandasex

Postby Nesaie » Thu Apr 16, 2009 1:02 am

mrshumphreys wrote:
Nesaie wrote:Once again, a person who confuses religion with God. The two things are totally different issues.

Oh, I don't think this is true at all.
Most atheists I know are aware of many gods besides the Judeo-Christian one.
None of the gods that I've ever encountered has been anything even remotely approaching rational, although some are certainly more interesting than others!

Anywho, I believe you already know my feelings about Zen, so no argument there.

Eh...I see what I did. I went from focusing on the one individual blogger to generalizing. I didn't mean to. I'm going to blame...um...um...ah...oh I know...I'm going to blame whiskey. :D

Maybe it's time to get some of those old Zen stories posted here. I was just browsing some again and realized I hadn't been to those sites in a while. I love stories.
Nesaie

Postby Nesaie » Thu Apr 16, 2009 1:07 am

pandasex wrote:just for the record....i wasnt trying to provoke any feelings. I just thought it was interesting. I would like to add im not religious but i dont consider myself to be an atheist

No no, no worries. I just posted my take on that blogger. To me he sounds like his only understanding of God is what is passed down by modern day Paul followers (they like to call themselves christians). There are many many more stories about different gods. I just don't think that guy has explored other ideas of gods or the mythology that comes with them.

I've seen a lot of Paul followers who cannot separate God from religion or God from their minister.

Personally, I'm a Deist. I probably will be until something better comes along. I haven't seen something better in more than 20 years, but you never know. ;)
Nesaie

Return to Religion & Spirituality

• View new posts
  • View unanswered posts