The Black Vault Message Forums

Discover the Truth!        

Religion & Spirituality

The Land of Nod

Whether you believe in a higher power or not, this forum is dedicated to the topic of religion and spirituality. We live in a diverse world with different morals and ideas when it comes to our beliefs, so come in and share your thoughts.

Postby starman » Wed Jun 03, 2009 7:44 pm

And Cain said, I don't think we're in Eden anymore Benoni. I think we're in the Land of Nod! I just can't believe after murdering my own brother, the Wizard of Nod sent me here for my punishment. And to top that off, he gave me a mark so other people won't kill me! Pretty cool, huh? Especially when you think of all the people the wizard killed for things like: Lot's wife for looking back; Onan for spilling his seed; for dancing naked around Aaron's calf; a man who picked up sticks on the Sabbath...and the list goes on and on and on. With this wizard, it's damned if you do and damned if you don't. Unless of course, you're one of his favorites like me. :twisted:

Genesis 4:1-16(King James Version)
Genesis 4
1)And Adam knew Eve his wife; and she conceived, and bare Cain, and said, I have gotten a man from the LORD.

2)And she again bare his brother Abel. And Abel was a keeper of sheep, but Cain was a tiller of the ground.

3)And in process of time it came to pass, that Cain brought of the fruit of the ground an offering unto the LORD.

4)And Abel, he also brought of the firstlings of his flock and of the fat thereof. And the LORD had respect unto Abel and to his offering:

5)But unto Cain and to his offering he had not respect. And Cain was very wroth, and his countenance fell.

6)And the LORD said unto Cain, Why art thou wroth? and why is thy countenance fallen?

7)If thou doest well, shalt thou not be accepted? and if thou doest not well, sin lieth at the door. And unto thee shall be his desire, and thou shalt rule over him.

8)And Cain talked with Abel his brother: and it came to pass, when they were in the field, that Cain rose up against Abel his brother, and slew him.

9)And the LORD said unto Cain, Where is Abel thy brother? And he said, I know not: Am I my brother's keeper?

10)And he said, What hast thou done? the voice of thy brother's blood crieth unto me from the ground.

11)And now art thou cursed from the earth, which hath opened her mouth to receive thy brother's blood from thy hand;

12)When thou tillest the ground, it shall not henceforth yield unto thee her strength; a fugitive and a vagabond shalt thou be in the earth.

13)And Cain said unto the LORD, My punishment is greater than I can bear.

14)Behold, thou hast driven me out this day from the face of the earth; and from thy face shall I be hid; and I shall be a fugitive and a vagabond in the earth; and it shall come to pass, that every one that findeth me shall slay me.

15)And the LORD said unto him, Therefore whosoever slayeth Cain, vengeance shall be taken on him sevenfold. And the LORD set a mark upon Cain, lest any finding him should kill him.

16)And Cain went out from the presence of the LORD, and dwelt in the land of Nod, on the east of Eden.
a book without light
unless with love we write ~ Moody Blues
starman

Postby Questioner101 » Wed Jun 10, 2009 6:50 pm

Always kinda wondered where the wives came from?? (Monkees??)
"I'm disinclined to acquiesce to your request."
Questioner101

Postby starman » Sat Jun 13, 2009 3:08 pm

Questioner101 wrote:Always kinda wondered where the wives came from?? (Monkees??)

Just goes to show that the bible is nothing more than a pack of lies. The first fanmily of creation consist of a murderer and incest. How else could the human race multiply from the first screwed up family on the planet other than through incest. Anyone who believes in this crap is mentally disturbed. Hey hey we're the monkees, makes a lot more sense. Evolution ftw!
a book without light
unless with love we write ~ Moody Blues
starman

Postby fortwynt » Sun Jun 14, 2009 1:54 am

That is where your flaw is my friend, and many make this same mistake, especially christians.

The old testament, especially when concerning origins and the things you mentioning, is at best a collection of metaphors and fables...it is not meant as some sort of "fact" filled chronicle of specifically factual events....

it is not fair to say that someone who believes in the BIBLE is an idiot....the spiritual principles, for instance, outlined in the new testament, specifically in terms of how one is to behave towards their fellow man (not particularly adhered to by *cough* so-called christians ironcially), are valid spiritual principles....

personally, i dont care what the old testament says, i dont think it matters one whit whether moses said thee or thou or farted twelve times towards the east, or whether there was a literal man and woman named adam and eve (which i highly doubt) ...or any of that other mess....the only thing that truly matters about "the bible" is the very valid spiritual princples outlined....now you could certainly say, why should i believe in ONE part of the bible but not the other? It doesnt matter....the entire bible could be a fable from start to finish, and it wouldnt matter.....what matters is that the spiritual principles are true, even if it was a made up author that created them.....

these spiritual principles go beyond even whether or not one believes in God...they are built in to the very fabric of the universe...for instance, love your neighbor as yourself is more than simply something some deity (or not) said and you are expected to follow or else...it is a logical natural spiritual behavior......

Christ effectively destroyed the 10 commandments by saying they were redundant and meaningless....if one simply loves your neighbor as they love themselves then one would naturally follow all the commandments anyway....and its not even about abiding by some arbitrary "law" (as with human created law)....but simply living a logical life treating others fairly and forgiving trespasses of others....you give what you get basically...no different than any other basic religious spiritual princples.....

What you put out into the universe is what you get back...if you wish to be forgiven for your f*ck ups and treating others poorly and unfairly, you must forgive others for doing same to you....this is the essence of the "bible" that you claim people are foolish to believe in because of some of the more flaky metaphorical tales in the old testament, that no one should even really be getting that worked up over anyway.
fortwynt

Postby MonarchSmile » Sun Jun 14, 2009 8:46 am

To me the Bible was brought to us by human story tellers of myths and traditions.
That is what we humans do. There was very little empirical(scientific) process starting
6000 years ago and to explain things that seemed supranatural and with our brains
gift for bullshi**ing we always create Gods to explain things. Example:Faith

Anyway, If there are 4 gospels each being a story of Jesus and a bit different
from each other, which story do I take as gospel. Maybe I should combine them
all for the Truest Truth. Is it possible that each Gospel was a different take on the
message of Jesus, a different religion?

Nice Book:

Jesus, Interrupted
Revealing the Hidden Contradictions in the Bible
(and Why We Don't Know About Them)
by Bart D. Ehrman

:D
MonarchSmile

Postby fortwynt » Sun Jun 14, 2009 5:18 pm

the point is you dont have to take any of them as literal truth if you choose not to....the spiritual principles, however, outlined are just as true even if the stories are fiction.

do unto others as you'd have them do unto you is just as valid and true even if christ never existed in the first place.

the bible is just a book, these principles are inherent to the fabric of your very existence and unavoidable, whether you choose to believe in God or not.
fortwynt

Postby MonarchSmile » Sun Jun 14, 2009 6:52 pm

fortwynt wrote:the point is you dont have to take any of them as literal truth if you choose not to....the spiritual principles, however, outlined are just as true even if the stories are fiction.

do unto others as you'd have them do unto you is just as valid and true even if christ never existed in the first place.

the bible is just a book, these principles are inherent to the fabric of your very existence and unavoidable, whether you choose to believe in God or not.

I do love a keen sence for the obvious :D
MonarchSmile

Postby qmark » Sun Jun 14, 2009 7:04 pm

fortwynt wrote: the bible is just a book, . . .

I disagree with this statement. True, the spiritual principles within the Bible are timeless, but to say it is just a book can only be true to a non believer.

because of the hope laid up for you in heaven, of which you previously heard in the word of truth, the gospel

And take THE HELMET OF SALVATION, and the sword of the Spirit, which is the word of God.

For the word of God is living and active and sharper than any two-edged sword, and piercing as far as the division of soul and spirit, of both joints and marrow, and able to judge the thoughts and intentions of the heart.

for you have been born again not of seed which is perishable but imperishable, that is, through the living and enduring word of God.

In the beginning was the Word, and the Word was with God, and the Word was God.

And the Word became flesh, and dwelt among us, and we saw His glory, glory as of the only begotten from the Father, full of grace and truth

I know of no other book like it. Most "other" books talk about what you need to do to get close to God, but the Bible talks about what God has done to get you close to Him.
qmark

Postby fortwynt » Sun Jun 14, 2009 7:27 pm

the "word" of God is not the bible....though the "word" of God is certainly contained in the bible....

clearly the "bible" in its singular form is not flawless and without instances of error or fable or fiction, or elaboration, or mistranslation.

I personally believe in the bible and always have....but im not going to say that i think its particularly important to swallow lock stock and barrel every jot and tittle of the thing.....

The "word of God" is most certainly alive, but the "Word of God" is not a piece of paper....it is a spiritual truth that transcends a piece of paper.
fortwynt

Postby fortwynt » Sun Jun 14, 2009 7:28 pm

MonarchSmile wrote:
fortwynt wrote:the point is you dont have to take any of them as literal truth if you choose not to....the spiritual principles, however, outlined are just as true even if the stories are fiction.

I do love a keen sence for the obvious :D

There's no need for you to constantly be a smartass. Did I do something to you to make you act retarded towards me?
fortwynt

Next

Return to Religion & Spirituality

• View new posts
  • View unanswered posts