The Black Vault Message Forums

Discover the Truth!        

General Discussion Topics

Grusome when it happens!

The Black Vault Message Forums has a considerable number of niche forums to place your post. If you can not find a home for it, and the topic doesn't fit anywhere else, then post it here.

Postby greeney2 » Tue Jun 02, 2009 6:07 pm

The best company class I ever had was becasue of a faulty ground plug that killed an Employee at Beoing. He touched a machine, that killed him and the machine was not even turned on. His body completed the circuit of a failed ground as the machine sat live waiting to be touched.

As a result every single Boeing employee got a course in electical grounding, and what electrocution really is. I've seen picutres of the results of the below story, where copper thiefs, probably died instantly contacting thousands of volts that travel into the body. They travel through your viens and heart, exiting some opposite hand or foot that completes the circuit. These guys fried literally, dead in an instant, and burned for stealing some metal scrap. The arcing of the current severs limbs.

The moral to this story is not only understanding what this can result in doing something this stupid, but minor things at home can also cause you to be electricuted. A frayed extention cord, not having GFI plugs in old homes,ungrounded casings, appliance falling into the tub.

This didn't need to happen and neither do home electrocutions, by just discarding any questionable electrical things. If its old or damaged, get rid of it. Use GFI cords and plugs.


Electrocuted bodies of 2 suspected wiring thieves found
The men were believed to be removing copper wire from an electrical box at an abandoned driving range in Riverside County. They were found after a fire at the site was put out.
By Corina Knoll
5:10 PM PDT, June 2, 2009
The bodies of two men believed to have been electrocuted while stealing copper wiring were found early Tuesday on an abandoned driving range in Riverside County, authorities said.

San Jacinto police and county firefighters received a report of fireworks in the 900 block of Idyllwild Drive about 1:20 a.m., but instead discovered a fire near a transformer, said Deputy Herlinda Valenzuela of the Riverside County Sheriff's Department.


After extinguishing the fire, which took place at what used to be San Jacinto Golf Center, officials discovered the bodies. A spokeswoman with the coroner's office said the bodies were burned beyond recognition and would possibly be identified today.

"They were attempting to remove copper wire from inside what we call a pad-mount enclosure -- it's an electrical box or structure that contains high-voltage energized equipment," said Steve Conroy, a Southern California Edison spokesman.

The fire caused a 12,000-volt line connected to the circuit to go out of service, Conroy said, and about 1,600 residences in Hemet and San Jacinto were affected by a brief power outage.


Metal theft has plagued Southern California for more than a decade. Thieves cause tens of thousands of dollars in damage annually by swiping brass, copper and aluminum from city property, including fire hydrants, streetlights, wells and sprinklers.

A law intended to deter metal theft took effect in December and requires recycling centers to take a customer's photo, thumbprint and identification for every transaction over $20. After three days, a check is mailed, or the customer may return to pick up their payment in cash.

Barbara Messinger, owner of P&T Metals Inc. in South El Monte, said fewer people are bringing in scrap material, but attributes it to the economy. "There's not as many housing projects, people aren't building, so we aren't getting the scrap from that and a lot of the construction companies," she said.

She said copper was once especially attractive to thieves because it fetched nearly $4 per pound. But, she said, most recyclers now offer only $1.50.

Because prices for the metal have plummeted, the attempted theft in San Jacinto was "unusual," said Dennis Gutierrez of the Sheriff's Department.

"Before, we were literally in a daily fight with crooks stealing brass, copper and bronze," he said. "This year has seen a drastic drop. We don't get the calls we used to."

Conroy said Edison has taken steps to mitigate metal theft, including installing surveillance. He said he hopes that the recent deaths discourage other thieves.

"It's obviously a very tragic incident and one that is a terrible and unfortunate reminder to people to stay out of high-voltage facilities," he said.
greeney2
 
Posts: 9669
Joined: Thu Apr 09, 2009 11:54 am

Postby Cole_Trickle » Wed Jun 03, 2009 6:27 am

Excellent post, one of your very best. We need more of this around these parts so people can actually put something of value to good use.

Electricity is absolutely nothing to fool around with. This post could save someone some serious issues. Well done.

Cole
User avatar
Cole_Trickle
 
Posts: 2709
Joined: Thu Apr 09, 2009 11:54 am

Postby BloodStone » Wed Jun 03, 2009 6:34 am

If they were dumb enough to try and steal copper, and not know it could be live, they deserved to die. Just for being stupid.


Aren't you glad cole approves of you're post. :roll:






BloodStone...
If it were raining hookers, I'd get hit by a fag.
User avatar
BloodStone
 
Posts: 1424
Joined: Thu Apr 09, 2009 11:54 am
Location: U.S.S.A

Postby greeney2 » Wed Jun 03, 2009 10:35 am

Actually this time Yes, Cole is right.

We are living in desparate times now, and people are doing anything they can to get money. Unfortunatly a little ignorance (about electricy) can be deadly to people like this. Its becoming a very common crime stealing copper from contruction sites. problem is with electrical you can't see the current like you see water in a pipe.

I had a coworked killed instantly who did tree trimming. He never imagined the leg spikes he used had spurs that dug into the wet tree trunk and perfectly grounded him. He also never imagined the very top lines of the power pole, 20,000 volts, could jump a gap several feet. The limb he cut arced into the top line, thru the chainsaw, literally blew a hole into his chest directly to his heart and grounded thru his legs. He literally died as fast as a lightbulb blows out. The Boeing employee died instantly when he touched the machine casing(a welder), that was electically hot.

Learning about electical entrance and exit wounds is a real education that makes a believer out you. If you remember in So Calif. our news lady Adian Alpert lost an arm and leg with the truck anntenna stuck a power pole.

To die stealing copper is such a waste, but its happening all over the USA.
greeney2
 
Posts: 9669
Joined: Thu Apr 09, 2009 11:54 am

Postby Tairaa » Wed Jun 03, 2009 1:26 pm

My father new a young lad when he was in air cadets far before I was around. His name was Colin, and upon being discharged from Cadets (as he was 19, it's as old as they allow) he had a pilots license that he got for free through them, and he electrocuted himself and was killed while celebrating his years of hard work through school and Cadets getting ready for the life he always wanted.

Which he was robbed of right after the hard parts where done.
Hehe
Sucks eh?
I remember years and years later when I was being enrolled in Cadets, they had a big huge picture of him with "In loving memory of" above it and some words about him. It sucks how little it means to people unless you knew the person yourself. So much could be learnt otherwise.
"George Bush says he speaks to god every day, and christians love him for it. If George Bush said he spoke to god through his hair dryer, they would think he was mad. I fail to see how the addition of a hair dryer makes it any more absurd."
Tairaa
 
Posts: 2940
Joined: Thu Apr 09, 2009 11:54 am


Return to General Discussion Topics

  • View new posts
  • View unanswered posts
  • Who is online
  • In total there are 0 users online :: 0 registered, 0 hidden and 0 guests (based on users active over the past 10 minutes)
  • Most users ever online was 292 on Mon Apr 23, 2012 3:19 pm
  • Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 0 guests