The Black Vault Message Forums

Discover the Truth!        

Religion & Spirituality

Christians vs. Catholics

Whether you believe in a higher power or not, this forum is dedicated to the topic of religion and spirituality. We live in a diverse world with different morals and ideas when it comes to our beliefs, so come in and share your thoughts.

Postby frrostedman » Thu Jul 03, 2014 8:54 pm

The aforementioned Ashley Madison study not withstanding. I want to know once and for all why there is such a pervasive distinction between Christians and Catholics.

I know I am in the tiny minority here (and everywhere). But I'm a little pissed that someone would suggest there is a difference. I'm here to say there is no distinction. The only way there could be a distinction is if the word "Christians" is taken to mean "Protestant Christians."

To me, any person who truly believes that Jesus is the Christ, the Son of God, who came to save humanity from our sins by dying on the Cross and being resurrected on the 3rd day... is a Christian. I think we can agree on that. Ok, now, go ask any Catholic in the entire world if that is what they believe. Guess what they are going to say. "Yes."

The correct way of looking at this, in my opinion, is:

All believers as described above, are Christians. In the Christian family, there are 2 major groups: Catholic, and Protestant.

Catholics are my brothers and sisters. And frankly, I am personally insulted whenever one of my Protestant brothers and sisters suggests that Catholics aren't Christians.

To be sure; Catholics and Protestants differ in MAJOR ways on secondary doctrine. I call it secondary doctrine, because it is. First and foremost, is the belief in Jesus as the Christ, as explained above. By declaring Catholics are not Christians, a person also declares John 3:16 is not true.

Who disagrees.
Every one who is seriously involved in the pursuit of science becomes convinced that a spirit is manifest in the laws of the Universe-a spirit vastly superior to that of man. - Albert Einstein
frrostedman

Postby gudskepteacal » Thu Jul 03, 2014 10:53 pm

Me, frosty, because right now I am all of disagreeable and mad and contrary. Why? Because my computer or JOHN'S SERVER just lost my new topic post in Homeland Security; that's why. I had almost an hour on it and was really working up a head of steam when I hit the preview button and !POOF!, gone forever. Don't laugh frosty, DON'T YOU DARE LAUGH! It's really unfair that you must now bear the brunt of my angry indignation, but LIFE'S NOT FAIR FROSTY! Matter of fact I think it was you posting this topic at the exact moment I went to preview my little gem that caused the dastardly disappearing disaster in the first place. OH! You little... :evil: Just admit it; admit that you did do it ON PURPOSE, frosty. Nice subject btw, which side you on? Because I want on the other team cuz you're mean and nasty and and bad, BAD BAD!!

BEEEVEEE FROSTY STOLE MY POST
"History records that the money changers have used every form of abuse, intrigue, deceit, and violent means possible to maintain their control over governments by controlling money and its issuance." - James Madison
gudskepteacal

Postby gudskepteacal » Thu Jul 03, 2014 10:58 pm

I guess after the IRS cut you loose you just meandered your little self on over here to ply your wicked trade, huh frosty?
"History records that the money changers have used every form of abuse, intrigue, deceit, and violent means possible to maintain their control over governments by controlling money and its issuance." - James Madison
gudskepteacal

Postby frrostedman » Sat Jul 05, 2014 12:30 am

I now unfriend you. Good riddance, XBFF!!! :evil:
Every one who is seriously involved in the pursuit of science becomes convinced that a spirit is manifest in the laws of the Universe-a spirit vastly superior to that of man. - Albert Einstein
frrostedman

Postby greeney2 » Sat Jul 05, 2014 9:12 am

Wish I had a nickle every time I wrote something for an hour and lost it. We all know that feeling. :lol:

A huge THANK YOU FRROSTEDMAN for this post. I have said the same thing so many times myself, in so many threads. I may be the worlds worst Catholic ( that is how we all are raised), and admit I am not a regularly practicing Catholic, but this is what I am and how I was raised. I was Baptized as an infant, had First Holy Communion, and Confirmation. We raised our kids in Lutheran Schools from Preschool to 8th grade, and they graduated high school from a Catholic High school. We spend all those years as members of that Lutheran Church, even though we both are Catholic. We never converted away from being Catholic.

I could never figure out, with so many different world religions, how all the Christian religions could differ so much with regard for their acceptance of other Christian Faiths. So many have the wrong conception of Catholics, and do not recognize we are believers in Jesus and the resurrection. Honestly it is down right insulting the way some people regard us. I think the worst may be the evangelical, born again, Southern Baptist groups who had some personal epiphany at some point in their lives and found Jesus. Some (definitely not all) are the biggest critics of Catholics in their new found faith, and take on a "holier than thou" attitude . Nothing worse the a reformed hooker, as the saying goes. Do you find Catholics knocking everyone else?

It all boils down to the theology of the different Christian religions differing, and how so many can have a different idea of what the bible says. To name only a few things Catholics are criticized for are what we regard as Sacraments, where we have around 8, most religions only view Baptism and Communion as Sacraments. Catholics also consider Confirmation, Ordination, Marriage, The last Rites. (I'm missing some). The concept in our Communion is that the wine and the bread, actually transforms into the body and Blood. The Immaculate Conception is not believed in other Christian Faiths. The praying to the Virgin Mary is regarded as worshiping false idols to others. Calling a Priest "Father" is misunderstood. I think most other Christian religions do not understand how what they regard as being saved, is something Catholics do in the process of Baptism, First Holy Communion and Confirmation at the age of accountability. Confession is another differing concept from other religions.

If the Bible was that simple, we would not have countless different Christian religions, we all just differ in much of the theology, but the belief in Jesus is universal and the only important factor. I have a sister who converted to the Baptist religion, was Baptized with full submersion, and became what she thinks is "Born Again Christian". God Bless her, I love her. She feels more complete, but to the way we both were raised, she was already Christian. She was and still is a Catholic, you do not erase that because you were Baptized again across the street in the Baptist church.
greeney2

Postby frrostedman » Sat Jul 05, 2014 5:19 pm

Brother Greeney! Thank you for participating. I think the biggest issue Protestant (especially Evangelical) Christians have with the Catholic faith is the praying to Mary and the Saints. It's an affront to many Protestants; the whole idea of praying to someone other than Jesus. What Protestants (me included) don't understand is, the praying Catholic still understands that it is Christ our Lord that ultimately answers the prayer. The Catholic is simply asking Mary or a Saint to intercede on his/her behalf with the belief that the prayer will come across more properly and appropriately to Christ, if it is communicated by Mary or a Saint. It's like, let's say you want to ask your boss for something but your relationship with the boss isn't so great. But you are good friends with the boss's daughter. So, naturally, if you want the best possible result, you would go to the boss's daughter, and say "Can you ask your dad [fill in the blank]?" Ultimately though, if you get what you asked for, it's not the daughter but the boss you give credit to. I didn't understand this until my Mexican wife explained, which put it in a much better place for me.

And again, we all believe the most important thing. We believe Jesus is the Christ and is our Lord; that He is the one that fulfills the promises of the bible and answers our prayers. Beyond that--again--it's a matter of doctrine, and, differences in doctrine do not cancel out our family relationship. We are still siblings in the family of God. Siblings often disagree and argue. So what. The love is still there. Or at least, it should be.
frrostedman

Postby frrostedman » Sat Jul 05, 2014 5:35 pm

Greeney, I could be wrong, but I get a strong sense that Catholics and Protestants need to seek the all-important common ground and join together. Our foes are making unholy alliances and seek our destruction. United, we stand. Divided? You know the rest.

A big thumbs up to Greeney! :thumbup:
frrostedman

Postby gudskepteacal » Sat Jul 05, 2014 9:43 pm

:(
gudskepteacal

Postby gudskepteacal » Sat Jul 05, 2014 9:59 pm

I sorry frosty. I was just kidding.
gudskepteacal

Postby frrostedman » Sun Jul 06, 2014 1:59 am

gudskepteacal wrote:I sorry frosty. I was just kidding.

Ok. I un-unfriend you. Thanks, BFF! :thumbup:
frrostedman

Next

Return to Religion & Spirituality

• View new posts
  • View unanswered posts