The Black Vault Message Forums

Discover the Truth!        

Religion & Spirituality

Who has been naughty, who has been nice?

Whether you believe in a higher power or not, this forum is dedicated to the topic of religion and spirituality. We live in a diverse world with different morals and ideas when it comes to our beliefs, so come in and share your thoughts.

Postby greeney2 » Thu Jun 05, 2014 1:31 pm

http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2014/06/0 ... 47526.html

This is interesting and fits right into the other post about evangelizing. Are the biggest offenders of being faithful at home, the biggest at preaching the most about having Faith, being saved? You have to wonder just how much is anyone saved who can not remain Faithful to their spouse. What is that word I'm searching for that best describes this? Hypo------!

Funny part about this for this forum, and our members, is look at the bottom of the results list in the article. Where is my friend Humphreys when I need him? Evidently religion isn't much of a guide for moral fiber according to these statistics. The most Faithful at home, happen to end up the least regarded of religions or no religion at all. Makes you think about it a little IMHO, how do these %ages fit into other bad behaviors like crime, abuses, other indulgences?

From the abov link:
Having faith doesn't necessarily mean you're faithful... to your spouse.

A new survey conducted by Ashley Madison -- a dating website for people already in relationships -- sought to discover the link between religion and infidelity by asking 105,000 of its members around the world about their religious affiliation. More than 60,000 of the respondents were in the U.S.

It turns out, one in four members who responded described themselves as "born again" Evangelist Christians. Catholics comprised the next largest group at 22.75 percent, followed by Protestants (22.7 percent).

"People who have faith often use it as an outlet for forgiveness" said Dr. Eric Anderson, a sociologist at the University of Winchester in England, "so they're more likely to cheat and less likely to feel guilty."

Here's the entire breakdown:

Evangelist 25.1%
Catholic 22.75%
Protestant 22.7%
Agnostic 2%
Mormon 1.6%
Muslim 1.5%
Jewish 1.4%
Atheist 1.4%
Jehovah’s Witness 0.5%
Hindusim 0.3%
For comparison, Pew Research breaks down the religious composition of the U.S. on its website, and the world population of various religions.
greeney2

Postby bionic » Wed Jun 11, 2014 6:35 pm

I think that this is an issue that is of increasing interest.
It's such a complicated thing.
I know what temptation t feels like. I know what betrayal feels like. I even, to some extent, know how it feels to be the betrayer.
I understand many sides to this issue.
I suspect many of us do, at this point.

I think we are all trying to find our new rules (or old rules) when it comes to this stuff.
Matters of the heart.
Willie Wonka quotes..
What is this Wonka, some kind of funhouse?
Why? Are you having fun?
A little nonsense now and then is relished by the wisest men.
We are the music makers, we are the dreamers of dreams
bionic

Postby greeney2 » Thu Jun 12, 2014 12:18 am

Bionic, as I look at the survey it strikes me that the most vocal to everyone else about finding Faith, everyone is a sinner, you need to be saved, are the worst for infidelity. If that is all true, and the born again evangelical Christians have been "saved", why on earth would they have such infidelity? 25% of those surveyed were evangelicals! They are the ones who will tell you how God guides their every moment, believe God is right next to them, they leave it all in Gods hands. If they know God so closely, and are saved, how could they commit adultery knowing God is right next to them? I can only concluded its all just an act, and really have no real belief in God at all. If they did, they would never commit such a sin if they really believed God is with them every moment. Way down almost the bottom of the list, are the Atheists, that the evangelicals would swear have no moral compass, but apparently they are light years ahead at only 1.4%.

How many times have you herd lectures about "worldly" issues, idolatry worshiping, drinking is a sin, everything is a sin, quoting the bible every step of daily life, yet being faithful to a spouse, it all goes out the window. Maybe it is hearing someone so overboard evangelizing, they may be hiding what their real behavior may be.

I am not saying all born again are not truly believers in Jesus, It just seems many give a real sense of insincerity, and just playing the part, a phony act for others to see. At the same time, apparently have a few private revivals.
greeney2

Postby qmark » Fri Jun 13, 2014 3:37 pm

greeney, just because one says they are "born again", doesn't make it so. Just because one claims they are a Christian, doesn't make it so. We judge by their fruits. A good tree puts forth good fruit and vice versa.

Jesus said, "Many will say to Me on that day, `Lord, Lord, did we not prophesy in Your name, and in Your name cast out demons, and in Your name perform many miracles?' "And then I will declare to them, `I never knew you; DEPART FROM ME, YOU WHO PRACTICE LAWLESSNESS.'

Bad fruit.
qmark

Postby greeney2 » Fri Jun 13, 2014 5:12 pm

Qmark wouldn't you expect that the born again Christians or evangelicals, would be showing a very low % in this survey, that infidelity would be almost non-existent? Compare them to the Atheists, or even Jehovah Witnesses who are regarded as a cult to most. They are both nearly zero or 1%, not 25%. How else to explain it, than there are a great many who really are just putting on a big act, and playing the part, and just a phony part of the internal church politics of their congregation.
greeney2

Postby frrostedman » Tue Jul 01, 2014 7:28 pm

Does the survey break it down where it matters most? How many were married and practicing adultery? "Already in a relationship" can be pretty vague. Many Christians consider just holding hands once a week, or texting sweet nothings to a cyber friend, "being in a relationship."
Every one who is seriously involved in the pursuit of science becomes convinced that a spirit is manifest in the laws of the Universe-a spirit vastly superior to that of man. - Albert Einstein
frrostedman

Postby greeney2 » Tue Jul 01, 2014 11:58 pm

105,000 surveyed, 60,000 in the USA sounds like there is a large cross section, from holding hands relationships, something more, to married. Overall, they didn't do well, and the least you would expect did the best on being faithful. This ought to give Humphrey a big head if he reads it. :lol:
greeney2

Postby frrostedman » Wed Jul 02, 2014 9:33 pm

greeney2 wrote:105,000 surveyed, 60,000 in the USA sounds like there is a large cross section, from holding hands relationships, something more, to married. Overall, they didn't do well, and the least you would expect did the best on being faithful. This ought to give Humphrey a big head if he reads it. :lol:

I have to admit I'm kind of stunned by the study so I'm thinking something has to be wrong. I mean, every Christian I know would condemn adultery. Not to say no professed Christian would do it, but, then there's the fact that if a Christian is committing adultery, it's not very likely they would openly admit it to the world. So either there was a ton of naughty people claiming Christian beliefs just to skew the poll, or, many of the Christians were doing something short of adultery that they didn't have a huge problem admitting. Atheists on the other hand, I don't think would have a big problem admitting to adultery, nor would they consider something as benign as a platonic, opposite-sex friendship as being "in a relationship."

So I don't know. This one doesn't pass the smell test. I'd like to know more about what went into it. How the questions were phrased. I mean, of course the huffington post is going to shout out these findings from the rooftops... and, it's because it's a stunning poll that doesn't represent what we would all think to be true. Again, not to say that no professed Christian would do something like commit adultery but, of all people except for maybe Jews or Muslims, Christians would be the last people we should expect to practice adultery, not to mention openly admit it.
Every one who is seriously involved in the pursuit of science becomes convinced that a spirit is manifest in the laws of the Universe-a spirit vastly superior to that of man. - Albert Einstein
frrostedman

Postby greeney2 » Wed Jul 02, 2014 10:21 pm

If you look at who did the survey it is from Ashley Madison a website for married people looking to have a extramarital affairs both men and women. Just click on the link and find the additional link to Ashley Madison, and read the bottom of the home page. Pretty clear they are not "holding hands" level relationships. IMHO anyone searching a site like this is not much of a person, nor are they of any serious involvement of their religions. however these were the religions they claimed to be from evidently in their registrations. It does show that the highest numbers are from Evangelicals, Catholics, and Protestants. And that the lowest were from Hindu, Atheists, Jehovah Witnesses. So why are so many from main religions on top, and so few from the others?
greeney2

Postby frrostedman » Thu Jul 03, 2014 8:00 pm

greeney2 wrote:If you look at who did the survey it is from Ashley Madison a website for married people looking to have a extramarital affairs both men and women. Just click on the link and find the additional link to Ashley Madison, and read the bottom of the home page. Pretty clear they are not "holding hands" level relationships. IMHO anyone searching a site like this is not much of a person, nor are they of any serious involvement of their religions. however these were the religions they claimed to be from evidently in their registrations. It does show that the highest numbers are from Evangelicals, Catholics, and Protestants. And that the lowest were from Hindu, Atheists, Jehovah Witnesses. So why are so many from main religions on top, and so few from the others?

I'm just shocked. And by the way when *I* say "Christians," I include my Catholic brethren too. Brother. :D

Aren't you shocked?

Maybe these idiots that peruse this nasty website are so pretentious, they just *say* they are Christian; avoiding the "Atheist" title, afraid it might turn people off.

In case there is any doubt about Jesus' contempt for adulterers, all we have to do is look at what sins He considers similarly evil. In Matt 15, He puts adultery right up alongside with stealing, lying, even murder!

9For out of the heart come evil thoughts, murder, adultery, sexual immorality, theft, false witness, slander.

So I will say again: How can anyone professing to follow Christ, visit an adulterer-only website, looking for sex partners? THIS is why I am totally baffled. I don't consider Atheists to be more adulterous. But I would expect more Atheists to visit this website than Christians. Why? Because a person can be an adulterer and still be defined as an Atheist. On the other hand, practicing adulterers manifestly do NOT adhere to or believe in Christ's teachings.

In short, every single member of that website that claims to be a Christian (other than for the purpose of rebuking adulterers) is a complete liar, fraud, and hypocrite, deserving of harsher punishment than any unbeliever.

Side thought: I wonder what Jesus meant by "sexual immorality" in that verse? Clearly it doesn't mean adultery. That would be a totally needless redundancy. He's talking about something else. But what?
frrostedman

Next

Return to Religion & Spirituality

• View new posts
  • View unanswered posts