The Black Vault Message Forums

Discover the Truth!        

Sci-Fi TV/Movies

GODZILLA 2014

Sci-Fi has amazed audiences since the dawn of television and movies. Come on in to chat about anything and everything Science Fiction.

Postby Wing-Zero » Mon May 26, 2014 8:24 pm

Serizawa is the only reason the military had any information on the muto and Big G at all. Telling the head guys that Goji's heading towards the muto's in order to feed off them and eliminate them as competition, trying to get them to NOT nuke the critters that obviously absorb nuclear radation, his main part started after Cranston's died because he become "smart scientist guy". Cranston's son is "main soldier guy" and is supposed to represent the feet on the ground stereotype. He's at the forefront of the action while Serizawa is at the rear in the control room explain why critter X is doing Y.

That's easy to say when you're watching a fictional movie in the theater. Now suspend your disbelief (which should be easy considering we're watching a movie about a biologically impossible irradiated lizard stompin' around), their mission is to protect the nuke until it's safely on the boat and floating towards the water. They're not going to just drop everything to save their skin, because that isn't what their training dictates for them. Even after that, it adds to the image that Godzilla and the muto are just not bothered by the human presence at all. Granted, I would have liked to see a full-blown "We've done everything we could and they've just brushed it off like being tapped by a pillow", but they did well with what they presented.

I'm not sure what your point is regarding Godzilla leaking radioactivity. He's been able to absorb radiation since "Godzilla vs. King Ghidorah". It's the reason why he went into Meltdown Mode in "v. Destroyah", and it's why Godzilla Jr. was able to evolve into a full-sized Godzilla at the end.
War is an extension of economics and diplomacy through other means.

Economics and diplomacy are methods of securing resources used by humans.

Securing resources is the one necessary behavior for all living things.

War = Life
Wing-Zero

Postby Aquatank » Tue May 27, 2014 7:41 am

Protecting the nuke was a final tag along in series of changing plotlines.

Introducing Serizawa at the front of the story's first ten minutes when he discovered what appears to be Manda's remains should have made him the main character, using him basically as a history book was changing direction again. This movie is complete set of changing directions with not enough focus. As I said a J.O.A.M. This lack of focus and the uninspiring acting puts it in the boring category like it or not. A good film depends on a strong focused script, good acting, good directing, decent soundtracks, and good visuals, Godzilla 2014 strongest point is the last the rest are terribly weak to mediocre IMHO.

What does radiation have to do with anything? Godzilla represents two things: the living incarnation of the bombings Hiroshima and Nagasaki along with the dangers the Super Powers represent to the world and to Japan in particular, and the truly awesome untamable ferocity , kindness, and infinite power of nature. The appearance of Godzilla represents natures backlash at being messed with. The lack of radiation downgrades the danger and the meaning of the title character siginificantly. Godzilla isn't just some over sized scaly dinosaur, he's power the nature itself embodied in the nearly universal archetype of a god-like Dragon, and all the mood changes that go with that archetype. When we have troops being stupid or foolhardy enough to shoot small arms at this, its akin to saying troops should shoot at tornadoes, hurricanes, earth quakes, floods, falling asteroids, volcanic eruptions & their pyroclastics with small arms too. This movie added 7 meters to make up for a severe drop in the monster's dangers and symbolism.
Aquatank

Postby Wing-Zero » Tue May 27, 2014 11:56 am

Those were the remains of another Godzilla. If you remember, the muto ran around the surface of the Earth was saturated with nuclear energy and they were able to feed freely. When the Earth cooled down, they burrowed underground to be closer to the core that was also giving off radiation. That skeleton was from the Godzilla from 1954. It's why the muto were called parasites, because they latched on to it and sucked it dry.

I didn't ask you why radiation was important to the story. I said that I don't understand why you were complaining about leaking radiation when it hasn't been a main part of the story since the first movie. Even if it were, it would be dumb because they literally go back to the same area multiple times in movies with no real jump in time.

Hurricanes/tornadoes/volcanoes aren't living creatures, so your analogy doesn't work. Regardless, the movie makes the message clear multiple times when the muto attack various nuclear items. I think Serizawa even makes mention of it when they're on the ship and he's explaining why they've become active because of the large stockpile of nuclear energy.

I had an amazing time with this movie from start to finish. I may very well see it again, and I'll definitely buy it when it comes out.

War = Life
Wing-Zero

Postby Aquatank » Tue May 27, 2014 8:34 pm

It's not a Godzilla skeleton, you might want to re watch the movie and take look at the length and width of the remains, that's a very long and skinny skeleton, and I've seen estimates of 150m long for it. If it was Godzilla such a long part would be his massive tail. Now compare and contrast that skeleton with a sauropod and a theropod skeleton, note how that the spine extensions point away from the tail to attach to the strong muscles (Godzilla has very strong tail muscles). Now look at the picks of the skeleton or rewatch the footage all the main spine extensions curve inwards comparable to a snake skeleton. In best probability it is a Manda (a Snake like God/Dragon that in the Showa series 150m long and in the Millennium series 300m long) or a new monster that is very similar. You've got the parasite thing right, but the MUTO parasites were feeding on most daikaiju, but it was stated Godzilla was the predator that preyed on MUTOs.

You will be happy that current reports are that Legendary Pictures is making this the first film in a trilogy. Due to the all the name dropping through out the 2014 film I suspect Mothra will play a significant role in one of the other two. Also considering the number of years Monarch was studying the MUTO and the fossil I would suspect some anti-daikaiju unit has been creating a cybernetic biomechanical organism the y can control like Mecha King Ghidorah, Kiryu, or Gigan that just wasn't finished in the building stages when the MUTOs broke out.
Aquatank

Postby Wing-Zero » Wed May 28, 2014 8:27 am

I was wrong about the skeleton being from the Godzilla in 1954. That's the same one that's stomping around in present time. But the skeleton is definitely from another, older Godzilla because Serizawa responds as such when his assistant asks if it's one.

That's good to hear. I kind of want them to do a revision of "Godzilla Against Mechagodzilla", using the skeleton as a base for a new Kiryu model. I also like your idea of Gigan being an anti-Godzilla weapon though.

War = Life
Wing-Zero

Postby Aquatank » Wed May 28, 2014 1:56 pm

I'm looking at pics of the skeleton and in the first pic which ends with the people in the forground next to the three stalgtites I'm counting 12 pairs of ribs all the same size in the shot, in the other pic its further back and I count another three pair from the stalagtites so this creature has atleast 15 pairs of ribs. With most dinos I count 9 pairs of varying sizes as do models of previous Godzilla skeletons & official internal drawings. Assuming the character extras slightly further in are 2m tall the width of the widest point in rib seperation in the inner curve is approximately 11.2m wide we can aguess that with flesh there is another 6m of muscle and tissue in a living one to either side so the creature is 17.2 meters wide and from sipe to expected end of the curvature is approx 9.6m so 15.6m in depth. The spacing between the ribs is a bit over 2m and the ribs are approximately .7m wide so approximately 40 meters in length is seen. If we look at Godzilla's rib cage from initial design sketches we get a width of 24m in the torso and 28m spine to front longer and thinner at 9 pairs of ribs of the same size & spacing as picture we'd get a length of aprroximately 24.3 which fits Godzillas figure. So this isn't one of Godzilla's species, its only relation is being a daikaiju that was taken down by one or more MUTOs.

BTW the actual movie qoute is
"is it Him?"
"no, this is far too old."-Serizawa.
Aquatank

Postby Wing-Zero » Fri May 30, 2014 6:53 pm

"Is it him?" is in regards to the Godzilla from 1954, which I incorrectly stated was the skeleton. The 1954 Godzilla is the same one traipsing about on-screen in 'current' time. Serizawa's reply is in regards that there were more of species way back when.

It'd be cool if they had Manda. I'd prefer Rodan or Anguirus, but I'm pretty sure they'll do Mothra and some sort of mecha-whatever in the next one.

War = Life
Wing-Zero

Postby Aquatank » Fri May 30, 2014 7:13 pm

A newer revised Manda design could be even more shocking than a new Godzilla design, I imagine there is quite a lot one can do with this traditional eastern Dragon design to make it scary and powerful as all heck and yet give it that nobility Eastern Dragons are supposed to have.

I have to admit one of my more favorite new designs was Desghidorah, if something like that could be done to Manda with more serpentine movement thrown in with more than just crushing power (venomous acid spit?), we could have a real showdown. The only real problem is that magical flight power it has.

As for Mechs and Cyborgs, I think Gigan needs to get an upgrade to something much tougher and more dangerous, maybe anti-atomic ray plasma shields, and robotic virus swarms transferred during penetrating hits (attack the opponent from the inside.)
Aquatank

Postby Wing-Zero » Fri May 30, 2014 8:38 pm

What, double chainsaw hands wasn't enough Gigan for you?

I just don't see Manda being a main-event sort of baddie, you know? I mean, granted, if the script is good they can pull off anything they'd like, but I think there are too many fan favorites that people would rather see (Ghidorah, Mechagodzilla, etc.)

Then again, I wouldn't be opposed to an ultimate Manda/Titanosaurus team-up.

War = Life
Wing-Zero

Postby Wing-Zero » Wed Jul 30, 2014 7:43 pm

War = Life
Wing-Zero

PreviousNext

Return to Sci-Fi TV/Movies

• View new posts
  • View unanswered posts