The Black Vault Message Forums

Discover the Truth!        

Sci-Fi TV/Movies

GODZILLA 2014

Sci-Fi has amazed audiences since the dawn of television and movies. Come on in to chat about anything and everything Science Fiction.

Postby BOBZILLAaliens125 » Thu Mar 20, 2014 5:15 am

I took the liberty of making a Godzilla thread because no one else seemed to have made one. Discuss your ideas and opinions on the new Kaiju film coming out from Warner Brothers here! The movie is a remake of the classic fire-breathing monster back from 1954. Godzilla is rumored to be about 300 feet, which means he'll be his biggest yet! Just high enough to tower the city but low enough to take cover under buildings. This will also be Godzilla's 30th film and will be released the same year as his 60th anniversary! Let us hope it is the Godzilla we have all been waiting for and not another Zilla from 1998.

I have some stuff i'd like to share too:

This is the link to the "Godzilla Encounter" footage that someone shot a while back:
http://www.dailymotion.com/video/x126u0l_godzilla-encounter-footage_animals?search_algo=2

I also found on facebook the Comic-con trailer that was released back in 2012:
https://www.facebook.com/photo.php?v=591864827542975
BOBZILLAaliens125

Postby Cyprian » Wed Mar 26, 2014 6:49 am

Well, it can't be any worse than the '98 fiasco... :P
Cyprian

Postby Wing-Zero » Tue Apr 15, 2014 8:40 pm

Cyprian wrote:Well, it can't be any worse than the '98 fiasco... :P

Don't know why people keep deucing on that movie, it was good for what it was trying to do. Matthew Brodrick was really the only thing wrong with it.
War is an extension of economics and diplomacy through other means.

Economics and diplomacy are methods of securing resources used by humans.

Securing resources is the one necessary behavior for all living things.

War = Life
Wing-Zero

Postby greeney2 » Sat Apr 19, 2014 11:27 pm

BOBZILLAaliens125 wrote:The movie is a remake of the classic fire-breathing monster back from 1954.

I as thinking it may have been a few years later around 56 or 57, but I went to the theater as a kid and saw the first Gozilla movies when they came out. Around the same time was another one called "Rodan". Pretty sure most of the posters don't go back as far as me. :lol:
greeney2

Postby Aquatank » Tue May 20, 2014 8:43 pm

I was excited to go see it opening night first showing, hoping for at least as much fun as the Broderick one but really hoping it'd be as Good as Tokyo SOS, X MechaGodzilla, vs. Megaguirus, or Final Wars (this last one isn't terribly good but the costume is good) or something better on the level of Pacific Rim. I was severely disappointed.

It's not that there aren't good parts, there are, but compared to its predecessors I found it unreasonably boring, maybe its the lack of rousing music like Honda's old score, or perhaps it was truly badly directed. I felt no attachment to the main characters at all, it was like the cast with no personality, including the monsters. Maybe I was annoyed because the troopers actually seemed to believe assault rifles were going to take out something that big that nukes could not (seriously that was annoying display of wanton stupidity.). And yeah I found the 500ft tall Godzilla to be a scaly out of shape couch potato compared to the last 3 costumes. But most of all I came out bored. Hopefully whoever does the next G flick will get it right, the USA dropped the ball again on it.
Aquatank

Postby BOBZILLAaliens125 » Thu May 22, 2014 5:57 pm

THANK YOU AQUATANK!!!! For a second there I thought you were going to be a part of the "This movie is the next Jaws" bandwagon. Glad you see the errors in this film. I'll just use this post as my review now. I waited at least 5 years for this movie, repeatedly watched Godzilla Final Wars (I think I watched it everyday on my Ipod for a month staright!), went to G-fest and obtained the 2011 script, looked far and wide for the comic con trailer, loved the destroyer of world marketing, went to the film opening night on Thursday (cause now they release films a day early for some reason), bought the limited edition cup and what was the movie I got? I'm not saying it's bad, it's just that after all that prep only to find out the new one had a more corrupted story line than 98, It was sad. And no, he isn't the destroyer of worlds. In Godzilla Final Wars he survived a freakin head on collision with Monster X while blasting at him with his blue laser of awesome!! In this movie a building falls on him and he stays down for a bit. Again, not that it's a horrible movie, it's just that it wasn't the movie we were promised, nor did it live up to what I was hoping for. Also, he wasn't 500 feet, he was 355 feet (last I checked). I also have to admit, I liked fatzilla. I mean, i'm impressed they made him look like he's in his sixties (It is his 60th anniversary after all; and I know there's the possibility he was an adult when he got nuked in the intro, but you know what i'm getting at). It's no Final Wars, but it's an average Godzilla flick.
BOBZILLAaliens125

Postby Aquatank » Thu May 22, 2014 8:20 pm

There was some 1/2 story at the start, but after the MUTO goes nuts it fell apart for some reason.

I'm not fond of the new height. I prefer G to be 50-60 meters tall and 20000-30000 metric tons, the size from the Showa era and most of the Millennium era. Square Cube Law? My answer is Dinosaur Paradox. Still what wrong with going over 60 and 100 meters? To be honest something I learned watching a young boy reactions to Godzilla vs. Destroyah. There seems to be a size between 3 centimeters long and 60 meters tall that people will find scary as all heck. Especially if it's smaller than 30 meters. A monster that size is well within their acceptance of reality, if Godzilla played within normal dinosaur rules we could well have a 15-25 meter tall Godzilla weighing up to 135-150 metric tons (that's 5 about 8 stories tall with a foot size about the size of a compact car), however such a Godzilla while scary would lose some of its more deific awe (sidenote: Gojira might not be a dinosaur he might be first born of Japanese deities Izanagi and Izanami IMHO) that it gains at 50-60 meters from being the Gorilla Whale/"God lizard". So when we take him beyond a force of nature in the smaller range and go to the 100+ meters tall we start losing the personification of nature and end up with something more akin to trying to comprehend something bordering on madness (enter Total Perspective Vortex or Cthulhu Mythos style mind snaps.) much like placing a model of the Earth near one of Jupiter it's just something people would stare at like a deer transfixed by car headlights, not scared of just dumbfounded and unbelieving. Anyway I've been hearing different heights for G 2014, and the one that stands out is based on the San Francisco Control Tower & the Toy scales which would put G at 156 meters, Deepseanews puts him at 120-150 meters. http://deepseanews.com/2014/05/godzilla/
As for Godzilla's ever changing appearance Dr. Jack Horner may have some insight. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kQa11RMCeSI

Have Fun :)
Aquatank

Postby Wing-Zero » Mon May 26, 2014 5:29 pm

Aquatank wrote:It's not that there aren't good parts, there are, but compared to its predecessors I found it unreasonably boring, maybe its the lack of rousing music like Honda's old score, or perhaps it was truly badly directed. I felt no attachment to the main characters at all, it was like the cast with no personality, including the monsters. Maybe I was annoyed because the troopers actually seemed to believe assault rifles were going to take out something that big that nukes could not (seriously that was annoying display of wanton stupidity.). And yeah I found the 500ft tall Godzilla to be a scaly out of shape couch potato compared to the last 3 costumes. But most of all I came out bored. Hopefully whoever does the next G flick will get it right, the USA dropped the ball again on it.

If you couldn't relate to the part where Cranston had to close the group off in the reactor, or when his son watched him go, then your problem is that you just can't connect with characters.

What are the soldiers supposed to do? Why would they think rationally when a 300ft monster is coming their way? They're going to panic and shoot at it, damn if it doesn't do anything.

Bored? You're telling me you didn't get pumped when muto #1 and Goji faced off at the airport? You weren't on the edge when you saw that tsunami coming towards all those people? What about when that familiar blue glow started going up those spines of The King?

Also, Godzilla was always written to be taller than most of the buildings of the area in the end. He's supposed to be a towering menace of epic proportions. That changes as our perception of tall changes as generations continue.

BOBZILLAaliens125 wrote:In Godzilla Final Wars he survived a freakin head on collision with Monster X while blasting at him with his blue laser of awesome!! In this movie a building falls on him and he stays down for a bit.

He used up an enormous amount of radiation to take out muto #2, of course he's going to be tired. Regardless, what makes you think Final Wars is in any way connected to this movie? His abilities have been varied throughout the years.
War is an extension of economics and diplomacy through other means.

Economics and diplomacy are methods of securing resources used by humans.

Securing resources is the one necessary behavior for all living things.

War = Life
Wing-Zero

Postby Aquatank » Mon May 26, 2014 7:42 pm

Actually I don't have a problem connecting with characters provided the acting is good and the direction is good, Example X-men: Days Of Future Past is much better at connecting with characters, even worrying about Kitty/Shadowcat possibly bleeding to death, and getting shocked at seeing Bobby/Iceman decapitated. I even feel for Raven/Mystique as she tries to vigilante style assassinate the people killing mutants and Charles/Professor X's unspoken love for her. But darn it this Godzilla film comes off as actors who were bored with the script and just doing it because they were paid well. Yes there are some good points in it, it'd be nice to have seen more character development before going to school, show off the boys fascination with his Mothra (name drops all over the film on that monster.), and more affection between Cranston and the wife before going to work. But were dealt short on charcter development, but it was start of the film and it had great potential to develop characters right up to landing on the aircraft carrier, and then it falls apart like the film completely lost direction, why is Dr. Serizawa even there? He was one of the first characters shouldn't he be more than a supporting character for the aimless wanderings of the main character? All that wandering and change of the heroes action direction completely loses the story. Stick to one story line and follow it through, Help Serizawa defeat the MUTOs, Rescue the boy all through the movie, Help with the nukes, Help or Battle both Monsters, or Rescue the wife and kid, but not all of them. Not some Jack Of All Movies adequate at all but exemplary at none.

Godzilla has gone up in size yes, but he has also gone down in size. In Showa Godzilla remained 50-60m tall, in Hesei he was 100m tall but they also made it part of the over all arc of story line that Godzilla increased in size as he absorbed more radiation from when the Japanese left him as Godzillasaurus in WWII, and we see that evolution with Godzilla Jr. as well. When we get to the Millenium series Godzilla is once again 50-60m tall even as the Spirit version in GMK: Giant Monsters All Out Attack. And this last through out the Millenium version with its extra scaly spikey look. Only at final wars doe we get another 100m tall one, and while it might be said its to compare to the buildings its actually more to do with facing off against the Gotengo/Atragon in a decent scale.

What are soldiers supposed to do when faced with a 150m monster that survived multiple nuclear bombings? Get the heck out of it's way and report the position to the nearest anti-daikaiju command center. Seriously the best small unit tactic ever employed against Godzilla was by the G-Graspers ( a specialized anti-daikaiju unit like G-Force.) in Godzilla vs. Meganulon when they approached with in 25m meters and let loose with specially designed RPG at Godzilla's ankle, (apparently illogically assuming the Square Cube Law applied) but they failed too. It is notable that the new movies has these new beasts ridding areas of radiation, that's a new and important difference because up until now Godzilla has always been a walking atomic disaster throwing off radiation poisoning all over the place and in his wake. If he had been so in this new movie most of the people in San Francisco who'd been near him would be suffering severe radiation poisoning including soldiers close enough to use assault rifles on him.

As for the Tsunami that was melodramatic theatrical overkill, while it was a nice touch it's problem was it didn't have any score similar to Akira Ifukube's music that gives special emphasis to Godzilla's dreaded entrance.

As for Godzilla's powers facing down Dimension Tide and surviving (twice) wasn't a new power, it was his sheer toughness (tougher than a hit with a 21 kiloton nuke.) and intelligence (G isn't stupid but he can get distracted birds & telepaths).
Aquatank

Postby Aquatank » Mon May 26, 2014 8:00 pm

UPDATE: the authoritative daikaiju site: Toho Kingdom has just listed Godzilla (2014) with the following 107m Tall and 81500 tons (MT probably) reference: http://tohokingdom.com/monster_bios.htm.
Aquatank

Next

Return to Sci-Fi TV/Movies

• View new posts
  • View unanswered posts