The Black Vault Message Forums

Discover the Truth!        

General Discussion Topics

Greeney2 is back

The Black Vault Message Forums has a considerable number of niche forums to place your post. If you can not find a home for it, and the topic doesn't fit anywhere else, then post it here.

Postby at1with0 » Mon Jan 06, 2014 2:26 pm

how low did your blood O2 percentage go?
"it is easy to grow crazy"
at1with0

Postby greeney2 » Mon Jan 06, 2014 4:19 pm

Don't remember the exact number while I was in intensive care, but it was down in the low 80's, with CO2 really high. The high pressure mask they needed to use on me would not seal, so shaved off my beard of 30 years, and also cut my long hair I had grown long since I retired. John had never seen without a beard and my daughter was too young to remember. So now no more beard, but I wouldn't take off my mustache that I grew in the service 1966. I have no plans to grow another beard, or long hair, its me from the 70's again. My oxygen now is well in the 95+ range, but will go down a little, which is the focus of all the PT. I have a Oxygen and heart rate monitor I have in my pocket all the time now, that clips on your finger for a reading.
greeney2

Postby at1with0 » Tue Jan 07, 2014 1:08 am

Not bad, considering I'm a smoker and my pulse ox usually goes in the lower 90's. Did something happen like a heart attack?

Hang in there champ, we're all rooting for you!
at1with0

Postby greeney2 » Tue Jan 07, 2014 9:04 am

Everyone is a little different on ox and pulse rate, and some of the meters can give false readings, mine was compared to the really expensive ones in the Dr. office and mine reads 2-3 points high on ox, and I paid $80 for mine. They said that is what most do, but most are very accurate on pulse rate. Like anything medical, it can get a little complex when other factors are involved. Heart/lung function can get real involved. In my case my sleep apnea, and weight, not active enough.

Reduce it to the factors we know we can understand, for me every pound I get off is a pound less load for lungs that are working at less capacity. The PT trains your mind to breathe better, be aware of you inhaling and exhaling rate, we just do not think about. Also learn techniques to recover your ox and heart rates, when you have a drop in ox. The big 3 that are factors are eating, drinking, and smoking, plus inactivity. Luckily smoking and drinking are not factors for me, but we live in smog, and been around industrial bad things.

I'm pretty sure the majority of my friends in PT had smoking as a major factor. I would strongly consider quitting, because eventually it will take its toll on the lungs/heart function.
greeney2

Postby at1with0 » Tue Jan 07, 2014 10:14 am

I'm still too dumb to quit. I imagine that some of those respiratory illnesses might feel like suffocation.
at1with0

Postby greeney2 » Tue Jan 07, 2014 7:06 pm

I'll bet my wife and I have said thousands of times we were both glad we never smoked. We both grew up with heavy smoking in our homes when parents considered it the thing to do, Post WW2. I sincerely hope you consider stopping, someday you will say its the best thing you ever did.
greeney2

Postby at1with0 » Wed Jan 08, 2014 5:57 pm

Agree!!
at1with0

Postby blackvault » Thu Jan 09, 2014 12:52 pm

Without posting dad's actual numbers, I do remember his oxygen levels. I had to take over in the hospital, since the CO2 levels on dad were literally off the charts (high), to the point of hallucinating. The emergency room actually thought it was a faulty read it was so low, and he was still somewhat coherent.

It was scary for all of us... thank God he WOKE UP to make some changes and actually go to the hospital.

I knew there was a problem, when I was in the middle of a sentence, and all of a sudden he turned around and started having a much more entertaining conversation with his cat. :crazy:

He's doing awesome now though :)
-----
John Greenewald, Jr.
The Black Vault Website Owner / Operator
http://www.theblackvault.com
blackvault

Postby blackvault » Thu Jan 09, 2014 12:53 pm

Plus, he had no choice. He has a grandson to prepare for! ;)
-----
John Greenewald, Jr.
The Black Vault Website Owner / Operator
http://www.theblackvault.com
blackvault

Postby greeney2 » Thu Jan 09, 2014 3:30 pm

Yes but I still have lengthy conversations with the cat. :)
greeney2

Previous

Return to General Discussion Topics

• View new posts
  • View unanswered posts