The Black Vault Message Forums

Discover the Truth!        

The "Off-Topic" Members Lounge

Video Games: What are you playing?

Feel like posting something completely unrelated to the message forums? Feel free! This forum is dedicated to have a place where members can sit, relax and just chat about anything!

Postby En-Lugal » Thu May 09, 2013 8:44 pm

EVE Online, on the weekends. If I'm lucky, that is. Log in, join a fleet and pop someone. About the time my adrenaline gets flowing, it's time to log off. :(
The modern definition of ‘racist’ is someone who’s winning an argument with a liberal.
En-Lugal

Postby frrostedman » Sun May 12, 2013 1:28 am

Borderlands 2 has turned out to be well worth the investment. And they keep coming out with more and more DLC that boosts the value even more. Over 400 hours of enjoyment so far and there is much more to accomplish. It's one of the best written games ever made... the environments are very realistic and immersive; the characters are pretty deep; the storyline is compelling the voice actors did a wonderful job; and there is a ton of humor. The voice-actor for the evil "Handsome Jack" received some kind of award.

The game gets a 10/10 for me and there are only 2 other games I would give that rating.
Every one who is seriously involved in the pursuit of science becomes convinced that a spirit is manifest in the laws of the Universe-a spirit vastly superior to that of man. - Albert Einstein
frrostedman

Postby at1with0 » Sun May 12, 2013 1:56 am

I was very tempted to buy that.

frrostedman wrote:The game gets a 10/10 for me and there are only 2 other games I would give that rating.

What are the other 2?

400 is pretty sizeable, well worth it I'd say.
"it is easy to grow crazy"
at1with0

Postby Fut004 » Tue May 28, 2013 10:00 am

Been playing a lot of MechWarrior: Online lately.
It's a bit resource heavy, so it takes a decent computer to run, but it's well worth it once you get it going!
Martial Law is real, TPTB have been practicing.
Must watch video, especially for Canadians: Into the Fire - See what actually happened at the G20 Summit in Toronto.
Fut004

Postby En-Lugal » Sun Jun 02, 2013 9:02 pm

Fut004 wrote:Been playing a lot of MechWarrior: Online lately.
It's a bit resource heavy, so it takes a decent computer to run, but it's well worth it once you get it going!

I fiddled around with the training ground today but haven't had time to experience the game properly yet. I hoping they'll flesh it out a bit more, surly they will, but it it looks fun. Reminded me of Mechwarrior 3, which I loved and would still be playing if my 98SE machine still worked. I tried a browser-based MMORPG called City of Steam and so far it's really fun. I like the story-telling they do in it. I'm still getting used to it, of course, but it has some useful features like clicking on a quest will make your character walk to that destination.
The modern definition of ‘racist’ is someone who’s winning an argument with a liberal.
En-Lugal

Postby Fut004 » Mon Jun 03, 2013 11:10 am

En-Lugal wrote:I fiddled around with the training ground today but haven't had time to experience the game properly yet. I hoping they'll flesh it out a bit more, surly they will, but it it looks fun. Reminded me of Mechwarrior 3, which I loved and would still be playing if my 98SE machine still worked.

The Training Ground is a god-send for new players - and it's a recently new feature to the game.
Before the brought it out, you had to go into live games to figure out how to pilot your 'Mech, or to see if your current build works as intended.

The game has a fairly steep learning curve, but if you stick with it you'll have a blast.
Try not to waste any of the money you earn in the beginning though. Play through 25 or so matches (can't recall the exact number now) using the trial 'Mechs - and you'll be sitting on a nice chunk of money at the end (they have a new pilot bonus in play for the first 25 matches). Once you reach that point, you'll have enough money to buy and fully customize a Light or Medium 'Mech. And that's where the real fun begins.

You're completely right though, the game needs to be fleshed out way, way more than it currently is. Right now the entire game is one Death Match after another, with no real objectives besides blowing up the baddies (or capturing these lame-o bases). The Developers have plans to release "Community Warfare" in the next little while though - so the different Factions/Houses and Merc Corps will be able to actually battle over control of various planets.

My MWO name is Fut, so look me up sometime.
Hope you stick with the game, it'll be worth it in the near future.
Martial Law is real, TPTB have been practicing.
Must watch video, especially for Canadians: Into the Fire - See what actually happened at the G20 Summit in Toronto.
Fut004

Postby En-Lugal » Fri Dec 06, 2013 10:08 pm

I'm burned out on MMO's and have been playing X3: Terran Conflict for a while now. My gaming rig crapped out for a while and I switched to X3: Reunion as it was the only thing that would launch on my old XP backup machine. I'm back on my gaming rig and X3: TC again, but finding the time to game is pretty difficult with my course load. It's a really interesting and fun game and I've barely scratched the surface as far as things you can do. I've been mostly trading as the combat is a bit intimidating. It's a sandbox style space sim like EVE Online, only without all of the - I guess i'll call them people. :P

En-Lugal

Postby frrostedman » Sun Dec 08, 2013 7:43 pm

EVE Online bored the living daylights out of me.

Hey! I recently discovered Path Of Exile and it's the best Action RPG since Diablo 2. It is in my opinion far superior to Diablo 3. Best thing? It's FREE. I bought some stuff to better organize my stash just because I felt compelled throw some money at the developers. They really deserve the support. Check it out. You won't regret it.
Every one who is seriously involved in the pursuit of science becomes convinced that a spirit is manifest in the laws of the Universe-a spirit vastly superior to that of man. - Albert Einstein
frrostedman

Postby En-Lugal » Tue Dec 10, 2013 12:13 am

frrostedman wrote:EVE Online bored the living daylights out of me.

Hey! I recently discovered Path Of Exile and it's the best Action RPG since Diablo 2. It is in my opinion far superior to Diablo 3. Best thing? It's FREE. I bought some stuff to better organize my stash just because I felt compelled throw some money at the developers. They really deserve the support. Check it out. You won't regret it.

Yeah I remember all of the pre-Alpha hype and feedback from peers lucky enough to get in on the beta. I've heard nothing but good things about it ever since and could probably sink a lot of time into it myself. I'm sure I'll get around to playing it eventually, what with the current development cycle churning out games requiring the next or latest gen in processors for whatever reason, like X-Rebirth, and being working poor. Finding games that don't require me to upgrade my mobo and CPU, that are fun and immersive, are a godsend. Now about those time management skills... :whistle:

As for EVE Online, it became stale years ago but I continued to play because I wasn't aware of anything else comparable in the genre. I finally quit because I couldn't reconcile playing a boring game anymore. They can add all of the fancy graphics, ships, and modules, they want but it will never compensate for the horrible game-play, mechanics, UI, player-base, and the fact that it's just not fun to play. It was more like a second job, more fun to read about than play and I payed for the privilege. :shock:
En-Lugal

Postby frrostedman » Tue Dec 10, 2013 8:26 pm

Ha, spot on with the "it's like a 2nd job" on EVE. Well said. Path of Exile is still in "beta" although there are no bugs to speak of at all. The game is polished and well done all the way around. Best thing since sliced bread. And when I say free, I mean free. It's as good as any $60 game out there, but completely free to play and the only thing money buys you is cosmetic stuff and extra inventory space for your stash/keeper items. They wanted to make sure that folks with money have no advantage over those that don't. There are 7 character classes but the 7th (a hot blonde chick called a "Scion") has to be unlocked by playing through the game at normal level. The skill tree is an absolute GENIUS work of art, and worthy of lengthy study all in itself. Sometimes i just stare it in awe, and trace out how I want to develop my character.

Path of Exile gets a 10/10, 2 thumbs up, and I can't recommend it highly enough.
frrostedman

PreviousNext

Return to The "Off-Topic" Members Lounge

• View new posts
  • View unanswered posts