The Black Vault Message Forums

Discover the Truth!        

General Discussion Topics

Nuclear Detonations 1945 - 1998

The Black Vault Message Forums has a considerable number of niche forums to place your post. If you can not find a home for it, and the topic doesn't fit anywhere else, then post it here.

Postby Alalu » Wed Oct 02, 2013 8:20 pm

Not to get too far off my original point, yes you are right about the threat being radiation, not contamination, but the tour guide did actually say contamination and I remember someone asking about that. The pit was blocked off, you could not get to the edge without jumping the barricade. Masks were not needed but we definately wore TLDs. The walls of the facility were water, steel and concrete and the guide did add that the hottest work was done uderwater. So I'm guessing you work in a shipyard? Shipyards are more dangerous since that's where things get taken apart.

I am shocked at how much toxic waste the US has created in the last century. I still say the US is nuts.
Alalu

Postby greeney2 » Wed Oct 02, 2013 11:59 pm

I am sure you are right, the USA has generated a lot of toxic waste in the last century, but can you imagine going back in time to what was done in the early industrial revolution during the 1800's into the 1900's? Now imagine the level of toxic waste generated in places of heavy industry, and deplorable working conditions, in Europe, and Asia. What we dumped into rivers and lake was a travesty, imagine what went on behind the Iron Curtain, and what went on in rechimes under people like Lenin and Stalin, in factories with zero controls, near slave labor, and conditions that were unimaginable. Mining, heavy metal industies, chemical productions from pesticides to industrial processes. AS far as Nuclear waste or leaks, at least the USA has not had a Chernobal, or Fukisaki disaster. Chernobal did not have containment buildings for starters. Fukisaki obviously built on the worst major earthquake zones on our planet.
greeney2

Postby orangetom1999 » Thu Oct 03, 2013 1:46 pm

Alalu wrote:Not to get too far off my original point, yes you are right about the threat being radiation, not contamination, but the tour guide did actually say contamination and I remember someone asking about that. The pit was blocked off, you could not get to the edge without jumping the barricade. Masks were not needed but we definately wore TLDs. The walls of the facility were water, steel and concrete and the guide did add that the hottest work was done uderwater. So I'm guessing you work in a shipyard? Shipyards are more dangerous since that's where things get taken apart.

I am shocked at how much toxic waste the US has created in the last century. I still say the US is nuts.

Ahh..ok..you had on TLDs yes ..that explains it. Indeed ..the concern was radiation. The barricades were for safety ..they did not want anyone falling into the pit. Certainly understandable.The lack of masks or respirators is telling. No problem. I merely make note of it due to the understanding of at what point contamination easily becomes airborne. Yes..Ive seen ships where rather than build a lead wall ..the wall was built as a tank and liquid filled in their or diesel fuel. As the fuel was used up sea water was replaced into the tank to keep it filled. The fuel could be separated from the water before buring it in an engine. This way the liquid in the tank could always function as shielding..verses carrying about alot of lead. The weights of the liquid were easily calculated into the design/ performance parameters of this vessel.

Like Greeny2 I have an idea how much toxic waste is generated by US industries. However...I disagree with many today in that they have no clue while playing the blame game ..as to how much waste is being currently generated into the enviornments of third world nations....while a compliant and gullible media and populace take the blame here in America for all of it. What a stupid bunch of people and a cheap manipulating leadership and media. The USA has cleaned up considerably and at great expense.

Here not only are they very disciplined about nuclear waste ..they are also extremely anal about chemical wastes..oils etc etc....very very anal.

Third world nations today are a literal trash heap of everything. Even China...much of this informations is screened from most of the world while we are blamed. China is a dumping ground and this will come to light later down the road.
The pollution in the larger Chinese cities is horrible.

Yes, I work in a shipyard as a nuclear fueler. I work with a team which installs the fuel cells into reactors. Also with the other team which removes the olde spent fuel cells.

They are pressurized water reactors/PWR verses the Fukashima, Japan boiling water reactors/BWR.

Gotta shove off now ..lots to do to get ready.

Thanks to all for their posts,
Orangetom
orangetom1999

Postby greeney2 » Thu Oct 03, 2013 2:40 pm

Proven by all the companies that shut down in the USA and opened up border town factories south of the border in order to avoid EPA rules, and control of chemicals, and other industrial waste.
greeney2

Postby Alalu » Thu Oct 03, 2013 5:32 pm

Good points. You are right about other countries being worse about toxic waste dumping. OT, better you than me on the job. Hey with the gov shutdown the EPA is out of commission.
Alalu

Postby orangetom1999 » Sat Oct 05, 2013 12:44 pm

Alalu wrote:Good points. You are right about other countries being worse about toxic waste dumping. OT, better you than me on the job. Hey with the gov shutdown the EPA is out of commission.

Alalu,

No problem. Thanks for your reply. It is the weekend here and lots to do and get done.

Perhaps I will have more time later for the boards,

Thanks,
Orangetom
orangetom1999

Previous

Return to General Discussion Topics

• View new posts
  • View unanswered posts