Rob61872 wrote:I'm all for the right to keep and bare arms... But can we al least keep the document in perspective, and use some common sense?
1. It was written 200 years ago, when the nation had no real military, unlike today, where that small little group of colonies grew to possess the most powerful military force in human history... The security of this nation is not dependent on my next door neighbor having a Ruger in a locked box on the top shelf of his bedroom closet, his house security may be dependent on it.
2. The enemy 200 years ago was armed with... Wait for it... Muskets and cannons. And the militia was armed with... Hold for it... Muskets and cannons. Unless you support the average idiot, who can't launch a bottle rocket without causing a 3 alarm fire, owning an arsenal of rocket launchers, and surface to air missiles, a long with tanks, just in case, there isn't much weaponry that is either affordable or practical for the average Joe to own that will fend off a military attack from a foreign country (or our own), the only reason rebels in other nations are able to fight is because they're armed by other nations with military equipment free of a monetary charge. I seriously doubt the U.S. government is afraid of citizens owning hand guns, it's military destroys other militaries in days.
The argument is lost when you try to use national security to defend people owning hand guns... The right to defend ones self is the only legit reason.
Oh goodie perspective...
1. America has a Military that is currently enforcing U.S policy in other countries fighting wars on 2 fronts and Obama wants a third Theatre of war opened up.
2. The troops that are home are either back from Afghanistan or Iraq and are on rotation to go back again or they are coming home in body-bags.
3. The Military is dwindling even with the stop gap policy and from what my understanding is at the current time, new enlistments are falling, which it seems is giving cause and reason for the use of reservists in foreign theatres of operations which also happen to increase the numbers of WIA and KIA it seems.
4. The National Guard are now being used in the Streets of America with claimed "Training" ... my question is "For what?
5. The enemy is indeed well armed with the latest high tech weaponry and they know how to use it, some claim that the enemy is within America itself and they would not be far wrong, many also claim that it is the U.S Government that is in fact the enemy of the American people. To further this point you have TSA Checkpoints, Border Patrol Checkpoints being unlawfully setup in the middle of the country far from Borders and Airports etc encroaching on your ever dwindling rights and basic freedoms your Constitution is supposed to guarantee.
6. Your 2nd Amendment is under attack as is the rest of your Constitution, if you think it is not you are sadly misinformed, attempts at so-called gun control via more laws to ban certain weapons by use of proven false flag operations will continue regardless of the 2nd Amendment and I suggest you loose the 2nd Amendment you will lose absolutely E V E R Y T H I N G.
7. It is my belief that, such laws of the States and even now your Federal Government of banning certain firearm for the sake of gun control sake without foundation in law as these laws are attempting to abridge or deny the 2nd Amendment and the spirit of the 2nd Amendment the ... Foundation Law of the land. IMHO the only form of real "Gun Control" required is a steady hand and a keen eye.
8. Not everyone agrees with one individuals right to arm themselves, not everyone agrees that an individual has the right to have in a personal armory, enough weapons of all descriptions to successfully start and maintain WW III ... but that is ... you guessed it your 1st Amendment right to say so and the gun owners 2nd Amendment right to have the armory of weapons.
9. Let's face an irrefutable fact of history, If it were not for the 2nd Amendment you would not have a 1st Amendment today or any other rights. (ask the Chinese or the Cubans)
10. It is a fact that you can legislate till you are blue in the face placing restrictions on all manner of weaponry, not necessarily firearms, even so, those who have criminal intent are going to use such weaponry to Kill, Mame or hurt others.
For some time now I have been watching with interest the "Open Carry" movement in the US with great interest, these people are trying to stop the Civil War that is coming IMHO ... and believe me when I say 'it IS coming' ... the writing is on the wall.
I am sad to say that the once strong and proud United States of America aint what she used to be and her decline began when Ronald Reagan left office.
So, when you hear these words from an Australian (an outsider looking in) my advice is for you to take heed.