The Black Vault Message Forums

Discover the Truth!        

Space Discussions and Theories

Are black holes portals to other universes?

From Mercury to Pluto and beyond. . .

Postby En-Lugal » Sat Jul 20, 2013 9:00 pm

According to this article, it's possible.

http://www.mnn.com/earth-matters/space/ ... ew-quantum

By
Bryan Nelson Sun, Jun 02 2013 at 4:16 PM

According to Albert Einstein's theory of general relativity, black holes are uninhabitable chasms of spacetime that end in a "singularity," or a mass of infinite density. It's a place so bleak that even the laws of physics break down there. But what if black holes aren't so forbidding? What if they are instead some kind of intergalactic stargate, or maybe even a passageway into a whole other universe?

It may sound like the premise for a clever science-fiction movie, but new calculations by quantum physicists now suggest that the stargate idea might actually be the better theory. According to the startling new results, black holes do not culminate in a singularity. Rather, they represent "portals to other universes," reports New Scientist.

This new theory is based on a concept known as 'loop quantum gravity' (or LQG). It was first formulated as a way of merging standard quantum mechanics and standard general relativity, in order to remedy incompatibilities between the two fields. Basically, LQG proposes that spacetime is granular, or atomic, in nature; It is made up of miniscule, indivisible chunks about the same size as the Planck length — which roughly amounts to 10-35 meters in size.
The modern definition of ‘racist’ is someone who’s winning an argument with a liberal.
En-Lugal

Postby dra600n » Wed Jul 24, 2013 7:52 pm

Einstein's theory never stated that black holes were portals to other universes. It wasn't until theorists applied Loop Quantum Gravity to the theory of general relativity that they theorize that black holes could possibly be a gateway.

I remember reading an article how a team of scientists are creating a satellite to create a black hole (small, obviously), and use it to harness the energy to power space travel because of the energy that black holes emit. If that's the case, I wouldn't think black holes are gateways.

http://www.dailygalaxy.com/my_weblog/20 ... hips-.html

Dr. Michio Kaku explained how worm holes would be the way to travel between universes, or to travel across our own universe faster than the speed of light (not that we would be going faster than the speed of light, but we'd be taking an extreme shortcut), which I think some people mistake one for the other.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=c7wdPGFW4W0
dra600n

Return to Space Discussions and Theories

• View new posts
  • View unanswered posts