The Black Vault Message Forums

Discover the Truth!        

General Discussion Topics

What is time?

The Black Vault Message Forums has a considerable number of niche forums to place your post. If you can not find a home for it, and the topic doesn't fit anywhere else, then post it here.

Postby at1with0 » Thu May 09, 2013 8:42 pm

greeney2 wrote:Your question was "watch the video and see what it reminds you of". The clock and time, hands, how many and even if one is longer is what you are describing, it appears like to you. Nothing mentioned values for the letters, in your initial post, so what ever your theory about truth is, no value was given to any letter in your initial explanation, for it to mean any of what you are saying. 17 seconds and it stops at the end of its run or cycle, a clock would continue.

Videos of infinite length are not allowed on youtube so it has to stop somewhere. But I could make a repeating .gif image that would go on for as long as you wanted. Please forgive me for not explaining the letters. This is a truth table in a 3-valued logic for the conditional called if/then.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Three-valued_logic

In traditional, 2-valued logic, logic with just "true" and "false", there would only need to be 4 entries instead of the 9 needed for 3-valued logic. What we're talking about is the "truth value" of a statement of the form "IF A THEN B" which is true or false, depending on the truth values of the variables (which are statements) A and B. This "clock" I found is showing all the different values of "IF A THEN B" when A takes on the values F, M, and T and B can also take on the values F, M, and T (M is the middle truth value between true and false).

What I should do is also show the fuzzy logical case when there are infinitely many truth values. :think:

Bottom line is only your written description is making me look at it with the conditions, values, and concept of the hands, you suggest. Nothing I see by just viewing the video gives me this impression. Not even sure if and sum of FMT added up, changes to a new letter, that would be the correct answer as it scrolls forward. I'll take your word for it if you programmed the chart.

I think now it should look more like a clock, eh?
"it is easy to grow crazy"
at1with0

Postby greeney2 » Thu May 09, 2013 11:32 pm

What time is it now with the changes? :lol: I'm sure if you are a Math Genius which I am not, it would be perfectly clear. :?
greeney2

Postby bionic » Fri May 10, 2013 1:13 am

Time is what you make of it, maybe?
"A watched pot takes longer to boil"..boredom seems longer..joy..not long enough...so there is a subjective level to it..but also..
I know this..time and space are interelated..it takes time to get somewhere..also, time and disintergrtion...aging..time and entropy
Willie Wonka quotes..
What is this Wonka, some kind of funhouse?
Why? Are you having fun?
A little nonsense now and then is relished by the wisest men.
We are the music makers, we are the dreamers of dreams
bionic

Postby at1with0 » Fri May 10, 2013 6:09 am

Who is most apt among these disciplines to best answer the question "what is time?"

math
physics
philosophy
psychologist
sociologist
other scientist
anthropologist
humanities (e.g., poetry studies)

I am not a math genius and I concur with bionic... we kinda make our own time. Our minds shape time to a certain extent, and time shapes our minds to some extent.

Oddly enough, my watch's band broke in my sleep last night...The first night after I have this silly notion that time is a truth value set and that a world is a "path" through a lattice-like structure (the set of truth values), my watch comes undone... :think:
at1with0

Postby greeney2 » Fri May 10, 2013 12:12 pm

Seems like your example uses a mathematical chart, of unknown accuracy or theory, that disregards any other influences of Physics, and has a lot of philosophy included in your written explanation of what the chart is or means. Probably takes a psychologist to figure it all out for starters. :lol:

Your title is What is Time? Other scientists might rename it What is a waste of Time? :lol:
greeney2

Postby at1with0 » Fri May 10, 2013 1:53 pm

Math wouldn't be top on my list, out of those choices.

Time what a clock measures... but what does a clock measure? More than one thing, evidently. And more than two, I imagine. :lol:
at1with0

Postby greeney2 » Fri May 10, 2013 4:38 pm

What is your chart measuring at all? It is not time as we know it, it is doing something different. Who can say its function is even measuring anything, all it appears to be doing is changing letters of unknown meaning if you disregard your written post. Again, nothing by watching the chart alone, with no explanation of your idea of what it is, relays to me any of the things you are claiming.
greeney2

Postby at1with0 » Fri May 10, 2013 5:27 pm

greeney2 wrote:What is your chart measuring at all? It is not time as we know it, it is doing something different. Who can say its function is even measuring anything, all it appears to be doing is changing letters of unknown meaning if you disregard your written post. Again, nothing by watching the chart alone, with no explanation of your idea of what it is, relays to me any of the things you are claiming.

In a few posts now I have said that the chart is a truth table for the if/then logical connective.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Truth_table

Except here it is for three-valued logic; I've stated this several times.

The letters are not of unknown meaning. T=True, F=False, and M=middle truth value between F and T. Sometimes it makes more sense to use numbers for truth values; the only requirements there are are that F is the lowest number used and T is the highest number used.

The chart measures the overall truth values of "IF A THEN B" which depend on the truth values of A and B; each can take on three values independently of the other (in 3-valued logic), giving 9 total options. But it has to reduce to the conditional (i.e., if/then) in the 2-valued case so that's why the corners don't change.

I would agree that without any explanation the chart is meaningless...which is why I have explained a few times now what it means.
at1with0

Postby greeney2 » Fri May 10, 2013 6:33 pm

What was the point of asking what it reminds you of?
greeney2

Postby at1with0 » Fri May 10, 2013 6:40 pm

greeney2 wrote:What was the point of asking what it reminds you of?

Because I was curious to know how other people interpret it (and if they interpret it).
at1with0

PreviousNext

Return to General Discussion Topics

• View new posts
  • View unanswered posts