The Black Vault Message Forums

Discover the Truth!        

General Discussion Topics

What is time?

The Black Vault Message Forums has a considerable number of niche forums to place your post. If you can not find a home for it, and the topic doesn't fit anywhere else, then post it here.

Postby at1with0 » Thu May 09, 2013 9:37 am

There are 3 ^ 5 or 243 different ways that if/then can be defined that reduce to the usual case in 2-valued logic. The table is giving the truth value ("F", "M", or "T") of the statement if (row) then (column) in which the truth value of the rows are F, M, and T and the truth values of the columns are F, M, and T.

The corners of this grid represent the truth values of if/then in the 2-valued ("F" and "T") logic; they have to stay the same or else if/then would not reduce to the usual convention which is that "IF A THEN B" is true unless the antecedent A is true and the consequent B is false. That's why the corner values are all T except the one where the row is T and column is F.

The entries not on the corners can take on any value chosen from "F", "M", or "T". Three options, five choices, making 3^5 total scenarios.

My question to you is what does this video remind you of? After staring at it for a while, it suddenly dawned on me that this animation looks peculiarly like something else that we use every day...and perhaps there is an insight to be had in this somewhere.

Could it be that time is a set of truth values? I recently heard a simple definition of time which is that it's what the clock measures. Well this clock (with five distinct hands) measures in some sense truth.

Could time be truth or akin to it somehow?

All distinct truth values are assumed in some world. What defines a world is its "path" through the lattice of truth values.

This would mean time is possibly nonlinear and that it might be like an MV-algebra.
"it is easy to grow crazy"
at1with0

Postby greeney2 » Thu May 09, 2013 11:17 am

The only thing I see are letters changing so fast, I can not tell what it means, in 17 seconds. If it is suppose to remind me of something, or remind me of time, only because your mind associates the visual, to the increments of time scrolling from the small parts of a second, and rate at which the letters changes, mimic a digital stopwatch. If you change the resolution of parts of a second to parts of a minute, the chart would not do much in 17 seconds. You can not tell if this is counting time forwards or backwards, or that it is even related to time at all. Maybe it mimics seeing binary code on your computer, or anything that is just scrolling from top to bottom, it may not be counting at all. You can not even tell if the changes are repeated the rate goes by so fast, so the only reason one would deduct any truth is because of your written explanation, not from watching it.

Your explanation of what it represents is not really obvious in viewing it. if you were to only watch the 17 second video, it does not tell me what your explanation states, it merely is 17 seconds of letters changing to my eye. The corners never change, but nothing tells me why by watching it, what it all means. You would have to slow it down and record all the changes to see exactly what the pattern is. What it all means, who knows? I'm sure as a master at mathematics, you will deduct some mathematical answer.

The only truth is that repeating a familiar pattern visually, may remind you of something, but may be no more than a visual illusion of something familiar, and therfore nothing truthful at all if you are fooled by an illusion.
greeney2

Postby at1with0 » Thu May 09, 2013 11:25 am

Yes, it resembles a clock.

There are five "hands".

Time is what a clock measures.
at1with0

Postby greeney2 » Thu May 09, 2013 12:47 pm

Tell me what time it is using it?
greeney2

Postby at1with0 » Thu May 09, 2013 1:41 pm

The "time" it is has 243 different states, one for each frame of the animation. So, for example, the first frame looks like this

T F T
F F F
F F T

the second frame looks like this

T F T
F F F
F M T

where M is the designation of the truth value that isn't F or T.

the third frame looks like this

T F T
F F F
F T T

Then in the fourth frame, a "longer" hand of the clock changes

T F T
F F M
F F T

I think I'll make a new animation with one frame per second which will end up in a video 243 seconds long.
at1with0

Postby at1with0 » Thu May 09, 2013 1:59 pm

at1with0

Postby greeney2 » Thu May 09, 2013 3:53 pm

Like I said, without your written explanation to suggest what it has to be, watching it gives me no more than a visual similarity to something unknown. We see scrolling numbers all the time using computers, or watching TV shows. I do not follow any of your explanation at all. I do not see what you are calling 5 hands or a longer hand.
greeney2

Postby at1with0 » Thu May 09, 2013 4:28 pm

A normal clock has three hands: hour, minute, second.

The second hand is the longest while the hour hand is the shortest.

The hour hand of a clock measures a distance in an arc like a sun dial would behave near the equator.

Time is measured as the distance a shadow traverses a circular arc.

This "clock" measures truth. The shortest hand is in the 3rd row and 2nd column. The order of the hands' length is as follows:
3rd row 2nd column (shortest and therefore fastest)
2nd row 3rd column (next shortest)
2nd row 2nd column
2nd row 1st column
1st row 2nd column (longest and therefore slowest)

5 "hands" total.
at1with0

Postby at1with0 » Thu May 09, 2013 4:40 pm

It might help if there were numeric values in the grid.

F = 0
M = 1/2
T = 1
at1with0

Postby greeney2 » Thu May 09, 2013 6:40 pm

Your question was "watch the video and see what it reminds you of". The clock and time, hands, how many and even if one is longer is what you are describing, it appears like to you. Nothing mentioned values for the letters, in your initial post, so what ever your theory about truth is, no value was given to any letter in your initial explanation, for it to mean any of what you are saying. 17 seconds and it stops at the end of its run or cycle, a clock would continue.

Bottom line is only your written description is making me look at it with the conditions, values, and concept of the hands, you suggest. Nothing I see by just viewing the video gives me this impression. Not even sure if and sum of FMT added up, changes to a new letter, that would be the correct answer as it scrolls forward. I'll take your word for it if you programmed the chart.
greeney2

Next

Return to General Discussion Topics

• View new posts
  • View unanswered posts