The Black Vault Message Forums

Discover the Truth!        

The "Off-Topic" Members Lounge

What Ya'll listening to

Feel like posting something completely unrelated to the message forums? Feel free! This forum is dedicated to have a place where members can sit, relax and just chat about anything!

Postby at1with0 » Thu May 09, 2013 8:43 am

do you remember modus_ponens?
"it is easy to grow crazy"
at1with0

Postby MIBby » Thu May 09, 2013 8:45 am

at1with0 wrote:do you remember modus_ponens?

I can't say that I do.
MIB they once called me. Yes, that was my name. But you probably never heard of him. [/hipster]
MIBby

Postby at1with0 » Thu May 09, 2013 8:54 am

That's probably a good thing... :shifty:
at1with0

Postby MIBby » Thu May 09, 2013 9:04 am

Emphasis on the probably I reckon?

Anyhow, current music:

Basarabian Hills – A Night in the Forest

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QgLLB3gdIE4

Atmospheric black metal like Lustre or Coldworld. Damn fine I say.
MIB they once called me. Yes, that was my name. But you probably never heard of him. [/hipster]
MIBby

Postby at1with0 » Thu May 09, 2013 9:19 am

at1with0

Postby MIBby » Thu May 09, 2013 10:33 am

Necrophagist, good choice!
MIBby

Postby at1with0 » Thu May 09, 2013 10:39 am

:problem: :mrgreen:
at1with0

Postby cormac » Thu May 09, 2013 3:45 pm

i just happened to stumble upon a 'new' guy i'm getting to like quite a bit

Todd Snider -- he's not 'new' new, his first album coming out in 1996, but a search I did to check up on my fave country singer, Jerry Jeff Walker, popped up Snider's newest album which is an album of all Jerry Jeff songs (if you don't know JJW, you should ... one of the greatest country voices and a legendary hellraiser with the original 'outlaw movement' in the late '60s early '70s led most famously by Willie Nelson and Waylon Jennings) ... Snider got his start when he saw JJW ina bar playing solo and a lightbulb went off that he didn't need a band to play in bars ... not terribly long thereafter he was discovered by Jimmy Buffet who brought him into the Coral Reefers and then John Prine (another great songwriter folk/country and another of my very favorite pickers) stepped up and signed Snider to his 'Oh Boy!' label and so his recording career started.

so anyway, listening to Snider's take on a lot of JJW's classics and you can certainly hear the influence of Jacky Jack in his singing but he is not a simple imitator ... there are just some lines of JJW's songs that you gotta sing like JJW sang 'em lol ... but going thru Snider's back catalog as well is a wonderful discovery of a clever and purposeful songwriter and performer ...

his site is here -- Todd Snider homepage

and for those interested in JJW he has a site here -- Jerry Jeff Walker homepage

and here's John Prine's ;) lol ... John Prine Shrine
take care :)
cormac

"I have measured out my life with coffee spoons"
-- T.S. Eliot
cormac

Postby frrostedman » Sat May 11, 2013 6:07 pm

at1with0 wrote:do you remember modus_ponens?

Oh I remember that slimeball. Go glad we don't have to contend with HIM anymore!! :evil:

:wave:
"But let us not come up with any patronizing nonsense about Jesus being a great teacher. He has not left that open to us. He did not intend to." C.S. Lewis
frrostedman

Postby frrostedman » Sat May 11, 2013 6:08 pm

cormac wrote:i just happened to stumble upon a 'new' guy i'm getting to like quite a bit

Todd Snider -- he's not 'new' new, his first album coming out in 1996, but a search I did to check up on my fave country singer, Jerry Jeff Walker, popped up Snider's newest album which is an album of all Jerry Jeff songs (if you don't know JJW, you should ... one of the greatest country voices and a legendary hellraiser with the original 'outlaw movement' in the late '60s early '70s led most famously by Willie Nelson and Waylon Jennings) ... Snider got his start when he saw JJW ina bar playing solo and a lightbulb went off that he didn't need a band to play in bars ... not terribly long thereafter he was discovered by Jimmy Buffet who brought him into the Coral Reefers and then John Prine (another great songwriter folk/country and another of my very favorite pickers) stepped up and signed Snider to his 'Oh Boy!' label and so his recording career started.

so anyway, listening to Snider's take on a lot of JJW's classics and you can certainly hear the influence of Jacky Jack in his singing but he is not a simple imitator ... there are just some lines of JJW's songs that you gotta sing like JJW sang 'em lol ... but going thru Snider's back catalog as well is a wonderful discovery of a clever and purposeful songwriter and performer ...

his site is here -- Todd Snider homepage

and for those interested in JJW he has a site here -- Jerry Jeff Walker homepage

and here's John Prine's ;) lol ... John Prine Shrine

Hey! Cormac. Are you on Red Hot Pawn?
"But let us not come up with any patronizing nonsense about Jesus being a great teacher. He has not left that open to us. He did not intend to." C.S. Lewis
frrostedman

PreviousNext

Return to The "Off-Topic" Members Lounge

• View new posts
  • View unanswered posts