The Black Vault Message Forums

Discover the Truth!        

General Discussion Topics

Sign of the times

The Black Vault Message Forums has a considerable number of niche forums to place your post. If you can not find a home for it, and the topic doesn't fit anywhere else, then post it here.

Postby greeney2 » Wed Feb 27, 2013 12:05 pm

Had one of those experiences last week that has really stuck in my mind.

I was driving home, and thought I would surprise Mrs. G2 with one of those "Blaster" soft serve ice creams where they stir in peanut butter cups. I pulled over to turn in and got cut off the driveway before by a truck, with an older Mexican man with a lady, so under my breathe was uttering you *%#^^ because he cut me off, plus he also turns into where I was going for the ice cream. He pulls over to the right, and I begin to pass him, to turn into the order driveway. I look and he is waving at me, so I ignored him, thinking "Oh Great, he read my lips, now here comes the trouble". I continue into the drive up window, look to my right at the adjoining parking, and here is again, waving for me to open my window. Cars also behind me, now I'm trapped, and thinking, "Oh Boy, now I've got trouble". I can't ignore him, so rolled down the window thinking he was going to say, "What did you call me", but instead he says " Can you help us, we are really hungry, and need something to eat". He never asked for money, he asked if I would buy them something to eat.

I was so caught off guard, expecting he was about to challenge me to a duel of something, having just cussed him out under my breathe for cutting me off, I realized he never even knew I was rattled over him coming inches from me. I looked over at him, maybe in his mid 50's, and wife around the same age, so I asked them if they wanted some hot dogs or something (it was a wienersnichal drive thru). He asked if I could get them some hamburgers, anything I wanted to buy for them would be OK, so asked if they wanted some fry's too. I asked the guy on the window to give me my ice cream, and if they would walk the burgers and fry's out to the mans car, they agreed to do that for me.

I think the man and his wife were turning out of a driveway where they have a recycling place to sell cans too, as they were in a pick up truck. Honestly his truck was actually nicer than mine. He wasn't that far from my age (I'm older) to where I could not picture myself in a position of having to ask a complete stranger to buy me something to eat. I can usually tell a panhandler from a real homeless person, or I was "Had" by a really convincing person, but I did the right thing. Sorry I never even thought about buying them drinks.

Whatever the case, if they were truly hungry, I'm not sure what the next day will bring for them. We are likely to see a lot more of that everyday, as times get worse, and jobs are impossible to find.
greeney2

Postby Dragoness » Wed Feb 27, 2013 4:05 pm

While I am usually skeptical about people accosting me, usually it is for money. I think I would be like you and buy them food. Though, I have to admit it's getting harder to trust people when it comes to them coming up to me with a sob story.
Dragoness

Postby at1with0 » Thu Feb 28, 2013 9:08 am

OrangeTom is going to have a field day with this.

I am reminded of Hebrews 13:2
Be not forgetful to entertain strangers: for thereby some have entertained angels unawares.
"it is easy to grow crazy"
at1with0

Postby orangetom1999 » Thu Feb 28, 2013 9:32 am

at1with0 wrote:OrangeTom is going to have a field day with this.

I am reminded of Hebrews 13:2
Be not forgetful to entertain strangers: for thereby some have entertained angels unawares.

Oh yes..I sure am at1with0...and thanks for the intro.

There is a fellow outside the gate where I work. He has lost one leg and is in a wheel chair. When I have it, I will give him $5.00 or go across the street to get him a soda and a candy bar. He is a Vietnam Vet and lost his leg over there.

We call him Norfleet and many of the fellows often look out for him giving him cigarettes or moneys before going into work.

However...I have told him not to take for granted that I always have money and no one tells me what to give. My monies or charity is not an entitlement. I often take serious RISKs in earning my monies.

We have had a lot of conversations over the years that I have been knowing him..on many of the topics covered here.

I don't automatically give to people asking. In like manner to tips ...I decide where, when, and how much to give of my earnings.

I am not forgetful about giving ..I am just discrete about it.

Interesting thing happening here at this Shipyard..not in the news Greeny2.

Since the presidents speech last Tuesday (You know..where he talked about the guilty Rich again) in the building where the submarines are built...I went over to the dry dock where the Aircraft Carriers are brought in. The next carrier to be brought in for overhaul and refueling is the USS Abraham Lincoln.

The process used to dock a ship is that some time before the ship comes in...the dry dock is emptied out of water....and then blocks on which the ship will be sitting are carefully positioned so as to leave proper access to the sea valves on the underside of this ship that they can be worked and repaired as part of the overhaul. Also room is forecast/fitted in for Rudder work, propeller shafting and propeller removal and the heavy equipment..fork lifts, bucket lifts, scissor lifts and such, used in aiding the removal of such. All this needs to be factored in before flooding the dry dock.

Then the dock if half flooded near to the time the ship arrives. This dock has been flooded for a couple of weeks awaiting the arrival.

The day before the Presidents speech..the dock was pumped dry and has remained so. It is still dry..pumped out. Many are saying that this does not bode well for the arrival of this ship anytime soon.

Thanks,
Orangetom
orangetom1999

Postby greeney2 » Thu Feb 28, 2013 1:40 pm

I have not idea if you have a point concerning the drydock pretaining to this story, so far I see no point. :crazy:

As far as the man in the wheel chair, I think we are all smart enough to see who is a real case of the needy, and who is not. Unfortunately all the scammers seem to outnumber those who really are in need. Consequently, we have all developed a thick skin and very wary about just giving money to the panhandlers. Sounds to me like your veteran friend, just is exploiting his leg injury, and do you really know if he lost it in Viet Nam, or lost it due to something like a long life of alcohol abuse and diabetics? I'm not being unsympathetic to his loss of limb, but I also see endless numbers of cardboard signs held by some pathetic character that says "Veteran, God Bless You". All an act, and all by design to make you, the giver feel guilty if you don't give. Usually, its right where you will are forced to say NO, like freeway off ramp waiting for a green light, or loading your groceries into your car. If you friend is at the gate everyday, he probably has more money in his pocket on a daily basis than you do, wheel off to his car around the corner, puts on his prosthetic leg, and hops into the corvette.

I have no idea if I was "Had" or not, but in my case, i was convinced of real need. If they really need a meal, I'm ashamed I didn't really take them someplace to have something of a real sit down good meal. If they were scamming me, than I would think, every bite of what they ate, would make them think how they took the food out of someones mouth, who really did need a meal.

As for your injecting your own RISK of you own job making your money, and how you give, you are just full of baloney orangetom. We have covered this before, you are not alone handling nuclear fuel rods, by any means. You handle and move them with teams, and probably have more check points, inspections, and more conductor procedures, that are designed to completely be "Can't fail processes". No one single person is told, "Hey go on down to switch the rods out", and be careful. Your risks are little to none, you are exaggerating.
greeney2

Postby steve0339 » Fri Mar 01, 2013 1:44 pm

See, I knew there was some decency out there. Very glad to see it.
steve0339

Postby orangetom1999 » Sat Mar 02, 2013 3:16 pm

Greeny2 and others,

Good grief...You have outdone yourself here in skepticism. Well done olde man..well done.

First off...I determine who gets my monies ..and at times I don't give to Norfleet for my reasons..not his or anyone else's.

There have been others at the gates not just Norfleet...but others. Some of them have seen me take monies from my pocket and when they see a five in the stack they have the nerve to ask for the five and not the one's I am offering. That is when I immediately tell them...I take RISKs for my monies and I decide who gets what and how much...or none at all...and they get none.

But now that you mention it..I've never seen Norfleet carry a sign..nor none of the others at the gate. Not yet.

One does not take my RISKS taking for granted..male or female...or the feminine as well.

Which is what you are attempting to do here with your version.

These procedures of which you speak are put there to prevent injury to people and the very expensive one of a kind materials/equipments...being handled. They are not totally fail safe. No one can take all the danger out of certain tasks or occupations. You always...always have to stay frosty. IF this were the case of which you speak ..anyone could and would do this job.

The heaviest load near which I have had to work is 300 tons...some 600,000 pounds. It was a reactor vessel we installed in the USS George Bush in the early part of construction. And we did this twice for both reactor vessels in this ship. In the small reactor compartment in which it was landed and welded..I know what a sudden gust of wind would to in that small space. For I have seen loads lost and damaged under sudden winds. This is not covered in briefings..sudden wind gusts. The wind limit for lifting a load is ..20/25MPH..but not procedures for sudden wind gusts...other than shutting down..but you still have to secure the load...or get out. And in this compartment there were only two ways out through the bottom of the ship into the dock..and only one ladder. Stuff happens. And all it has to happen..is once.

Even when I worked on the non nuclear side of the house there were RISKS. Particularly at 3000 PSI of hydraulic pressure or 4500 pounds of air pressure. Steam pressure as well. One realizes this the first time one sees someone walking on a catwalk with a broom carefully in front of them.. or a mirror to catch tell tale steam leaks before looking in a confined space for leaks.

Nonetheless this constant RISK taking makes one aware of the other side of people who take someone else's RISKS for granted...a given...just as does leadership today.

Wealth Redistribution is not RISK Redistribution. I don't think I have ever heard a PHD teach or preach this ..have you??? How about leadership??
I am also aware that Wealth Redistribution is not RISK redistribution every time I give to Norfleet or others.

Once one begins to realize this ..one begins to ask what is real leadership..also what is private property??

Oh...recapping a point you were trying to make.....if the ship does not come in ..the pickings for Norfleet and others are going to become slim...very slim. Do I need a PHD in order to figure this out too?? A public school education at the hands of the masters to make this forecast ???

Norfleet is one of the few people to whom I give..as do others going into to the gate when they see him. The other is a family I know and I seldom give them monies.but bring groceries instead...food etc. Which reminds me...when I bring canned soup and crackers to work to restock my locker..I give Norfleet soup instead of monies. To date he has not complained and is glad to get this soup and crackers.

I think pickings are already slim for Norfleet as there is not much overtime these days.

Thanks,
Orangetom
orangetom1999

Postby greeney2 » Sat Mar 02, 2013 6:51 pm

Maybe you do not see them in your area, but in my area seeing someone on a freeway off ramp by the signal is very common, and many play the "veteran" card, by writing on a piece of cardboard, "Veteran, please help" or "Veteran, God Bless you". They just stand holding the sign, looking forlorned, and wait for someone to hand them money. Even have seen them sitting in a wheel chair. That is why I asked, were you sure your friend really was a Viet Nam Vet, or was it that just his act, and you believed him?
greeney2

Postby orangetom1999 » Sun Mar 03, 2013 2:35 am

greeney2 wrote:Maybe you do not see them in your area, but in my area seeing someone on a freeway off ramp by the signal is very common, and many play the "veteran" card, by writing on a piece of cardboard, "Veteran, please help" or "Veteran, God Bless you". They just stand holding the sign, looking forlorned, and wait for someone to hand them money. Even have seen them sitting in a wheel chair. That is why I asked, were you sure your friend really was a Viet Nam Vet, or was it that just his act, and you believed him?

This is actually a good point Greeny2. I have seen these types about town though not as much as in years past and I no longer give to them. Pretty much just to Norfleet and that family I mentioned.

I know Norfleet is a vet by the stories of our lives we have exchanged and certain details within.

I no longer give to much of anyone else.

I remember years ago, a woman coming up to me asking for some monies to get some bread and milk at a convenience store..children you see. I gave her some monies and began to leave...but instinct stopped me and I watched from afar. She came out with a paper bag gripped around around the neck.... what appeared to be a bottle. No obvious bread or milk.

I no longer give to women as such sob stories. I do not automatically give women such credit when they tell such stories or tales of woe. Just those two I mentioned. It is not that their are not such women or families in need...but that soured me tales of woe.

Thanks for your post,
Orangetom
orangetom1999

Postby greeney2 » Sun Mar 03, 2013 10:32 am

I agreed 100% and it is those people who are taking real needed help out of the mouths of those hurting. It is those people who thicken our skin, an where we would have previously helped someone have had to stop because we don't trust anyone now.
greeney2

Return to General Discussion Topics

• View new posts
  • View unanswered posts