The Black Vault Message Forums

Discover the Truth!        

Religion & Spirituality

Surprised this never came up before-tips

Whether you believe in a higher power or not, this forum is dedicated to the topic of religion and spirituality. We live in a diverse world with different morals and ideas when it comes to our beliefs, so come in and share your thoughts.

Postby greeney2 » Wed Jan 30, 2013 12:12 pm

Surprised this point has never been raised before concerning what a tip should be based on. Reading this it does explain what all restraunts do for parties over 8 people, they assign automatic tips.

The idea of tips here was from his religious concept of tithing of 10%, which the Pastor is contending, why should you get more than God? I guess on that logic, the Pastor should have only ordered Bread and a glass of wine. I think I will open a general topic about tips. It is a good subject to discuss.

Man claiming to be pastor leaves waiter note: ‘I give God 10%. Why do you get 18?’
By Dylan Stableford, Yahoo! News | The Sideshow – 3 hrs ago
Email
Share7
Print

(Reddit via Consumerist)
A man claiming to be a pastor apparently tried to stiff a waiter on a tip, explaining that his work for God absolved him of having to leave one.
A photo of the receipt, posted to Reddit.com, shows a bill for $34.93 with an automatic 18 percent gratuity (or $6.29) added above a blank space for an additional tip.
"I give God 10%," the diner wrote on the receipt, scratching out the automatic tip. "Why do you get 18?" He then wrote "Pastor" above his signature, and an emphatic "0" where the additional tip would be. (The automatic gratuity, however, had already been added to the total.)
The Reddit user who submitted the image explained in the comments section that the receipt was part of a total bill for a party of 20, which is why the gratuity was automatically added.
“Parties up to eight ... may tip whatever they’d like, but larger parties receive an automatic gratuity," the server wrote. "It’s in the computer, it’s not something I do.”
The server added: “They had no problem with my service, and told me I was great. They just didn’t want to pay when the time came.”
Scribbling notes on receipts has become something of a trend. Earlier this month, the manager of a North Carolina Red Robin surprised an overdue pregnant woman by comping her meal.
“Once seated, a manager came up to us and started talking,” the woman's husband told Consumerist. “He was extremely friendly and jokingly asked my wife if this was her last meal before heading to the hospital."
When the check came, a note from the manager next to her portion of the bill read: "MOM 2 BEE GOOD LUC."
“It was a pleasant surprise and made my tired-of-being-pregnant wife a little more cheery," the man said.

http://news.yahoo.com/blogs/sideshow/pa ... 14258.html
greeney2

Postby at1with0 » Wed Jan 30, 2013 2:23 pm

He thinks God wants his 10%? :lol:
"it is easy to grow crazy"
at1with0

Postby Dragoness » Wed Jan 30, 2013 3:04 pm

Just shows how cheap the pastor was. The reason restaurants started doing it was because of people like that pastor. Working a bigger party, I'm sure is extra work and time. As for a bigger tip than one to God, for one, God does not get that money, the Church does, two, I bet the Church is getting more than the service tip, since that 10% is based on what you earn, rather than on what you spend.
Dragoness

Postby orangetom1999 » Thu Jan 31, 2013 11:31 am

No one tells me what to give ..either to a church/pastor or a waitress/waiter/restaurant. I decide that for myself and no one makes me feel guilty about my monies.

I will decide that for myself since I am the one who takes the RISKS in earning it. Guilt trips do not work on me as I am the one working for the monies and taking the RISKS for it. I will decide how it is spent and how much...including tips and tithes or traditions.

No pastor tells me that nonsense about 10 % or any other %. No waiter/waitress/restaurant as well.

I take the RISKS for the monies and I will decide the %.

Thanks,
Orangetom
orangetom1999

Postby greeney2 » Thu Jan 31, 2013 11:56 am

OT I am surprised by part of your answer. While a agree about the working part for you money, and not having to feel guilted into something, that unfortunately is the case many times. Guilt is a big driver for many things in life, up to and including what churches do tell us, is guilt based. If anyone can say their Mother's didn't use some sort of guilt raising us, they probably are lying.

What surprises me is you of all people are "Johnny on the spot", knowing what the Bible and scripture saying about tithing, 10%, pretty definitely. Are you saying this is something you disregard out of the Bible? Isn't that picking and choosing, for your own convenience?
greeney2

Postby orangetom1999 » Thu Jan 31, 2013 11:04 pm

Greeny2,
A waiter or waitress is not my mother or father. Once again ...I decide what is the gratutity.

As to Church...where I attend there are two slotted boxes in the back..one for the Church expenses and one for the pastor. Nothing fancy ..but it gets the job done.

The New Testament Tithe of which I know is "First Fruits." This does not necessarily mean monies.

This business of 10% is Olde Testament. But if you read carefully there were several tithes..or givings in the olde Testament. THere was ones regular giving and then more on certain holidays or festivities. It came to more than 10%. This is seldom covered or educated to the flocks today so as to put us in Olde Testament Bondage and not thinking for ourselves and many ministers are themselves in on the ignorance.
For we are not under the Bondage of the Olde Testament and Agar..or the bondwoman and her son. There is a very good reason the Apostle Paul goes to great lengths to belabor this point continually in showing in his epistles the difference in the Olde and New Testaments.

There are very very few ministers who will teach the truth of this in order to keep the traditions of men and keep the monies flowing. In the Church I attend ..this is taught about the Olde as well as the New Testament.

I am not beyond giving ....just dont tell me something for which I know is not true. I prefer the Whole Council of God. And of course..dont try to make me feel guilty about this or that concerning the Church and hope I dont know the difference. On that I get quickly irate with ministers. And I know most ministers do not teach this along with a number of other things the flock should know.

I also do not deduct my giving to the church on my tax forms. For I believe in separation of church and state. Where I attend they do not give out chits anyway. THere is no tax number with this church. This also keeps things simple.

Thanks,
Orangetom
orangetom1999

Postby greeney2 » Fri Feb 01, 2013 12:41 am

http://news.yahoo.com/blogs/sideshow/ap ... 20748.html

A new twist to this story, Applebee's has fired the waitress, after the Pastor went to Applebees and complained to the Managers.

Applebee’s fires waitress who posted receipt from pastor complaining about auto-tip

By Dylan Stableford, Yahoo! News
Senior Media Reporter
PostsEmailRSS
By Dylan Stableford, Yahoo! News | The Sideshow – 12 hrs ago
Email
Share57
Print

(Reddit via Consumerist)
An Applebee's waitress who posted a receipt with a note from a pastor complaining about the automatic gratuity added to the bill on the Internet was fired on Wednesday after the pastor complained to her manager.
Chelsea Welch, the waitress, wrote in an email to Yahoo News that the pastor (who has since been identified as Alois Bell) told Welch's manager at the St. Louis-area Applebee's that the ensuing firestorm had "ruined" her reputation.
"I give God 10%," Bell wrote on the receipt, scratching out the automatic tip and scribbling in an emphatic "0" where the additional tip would be. "Why do you get 18?" (There were more than eight people in Bell's party, triggering the auto-tip.)
Welch, who snapped a photo of the bill from a fellow server and uploaded to Reddit, defended her right to post the receipt. "I thought the note was insulting, but also comical," she told Consumerist.com. "And I thought other users would find it entertaining.”
Bell, a pastor at Truth in the World Deliverance Ministries Church, was not amused, and she called Welch's manager to complain.
“[It was] a lapse in my character and judgment,” Bell told the Smoking Gun, adding she did not expect her easily recognizable signature would be, as her friend informed her, “all over Yahoo. You went viral!”
[Related: Pastor leaves waiter note on receipt: ‘I give God 10%. Why do you get 18?’]
“My heart is really broken,” Bell added. “I’ve brought embarrassment to my church and ministry.”
A spokesman for Applebee’s said it apologized to Bell for violating her "right to privacy" and confirmed that Welch “is no longer employed by the franchise."
Welch was surprised that Applebee's fired her, "especially because there was nothing specific in the employee handbook admonishing this behavior."
"I had no intention of starting a witch hunt or hurting anyone. I just wanted to share a picture I found interesting," she said. “I come home exhausted, sore, burnt, dirty and blistered on a good day. And after all that, I can be fired for ‘embarrassing’ someone who directly insults their server on religious grounds.”
Welch also isn't buying Bell's embarrassment. “If this person wrote the note, obviously they wanted it seen by someone," she said. “I’ve been stiffed on tips before, but this is the first time I’ve seen the Big Man used as reasoning."
greeney2

Postby orangetom1999 » Fri Feb 01, 2013 7:45 am

I do not care for places which give themselves automatic gratuity. I tend to stay away from such places which try to automatically "Entitle" themselves to what I earn by RISK taking.

However ..I do not think they should have terminated this employee as this appears to be the policy of the business itself. Talk about passing the buck. This has to have been going on for some time at that location with the heads of the business ...management ...knowing about it.

But that is only my opinion. I also do not tell a business how to run their business.

Just goes to show you the power of the media..and how it has shifted hands over the years to where ordinary people can air their grievances on a publlic forum and bypass a great portion of the MSM.

But this is just my opinion.

Orangetom
orangetom1999

Postby at1with0 » Fri Feb 01, 2013 7:50 am

Tis a shame that most atheists are more generous than you. :mrgreen:
"it is easy to grow crazy"
at1with0

Postby Dragoness » Fri Feb 01, 2013 12:10 pm

orangetom1999 wrote:I do not care for places which give themselves automatic gratuity. I tend to stay away from such places which try to automatically "Entitle" themselves to what I earn by RISK taking.

I think this is standard practice for most restaurants. Just stay away from large parties :)
Dragoness

Next

Return to Religion & Spirituality

• View new posts
  • View unanswered posts