The Black Vault Message Forums

Discover the Truth!        

General Discussion Topics

What if reality were really just 'Sim Universe'?

The Black Vault Message Forums has a considerable number of niche forums to place your post. If you can not find a home for it, and the topic doesn't fit anywhere else, then post it here.

Postby at1with0 » Mon Dec 17, 2012 8:29 am

http://www.foxnews.com/tech/2012/12/17/ ... -universe/

"We are looking for something to indicate you don't have a space-time continuum."

That disturbance in the force might be a hint that something in reality is amiss. If the cosmic ray energy levels travel along the grid, like following streets in Manhattan or Salt Lake City, it probably is unlikely to be a simulation; if they unexpectedly travel diagonally, reality may be a computer program.

Jim Kakalios, a physics professor at the University of Minnesota who was not involved in the paper, said a test such as the one Savage suggests may not prove anything. If they don't find the signatures, it doesn't mean we are not a simulation; our descendants could have used a different grid. If they do find something it also could mean “that's the way space-time is and we never noticed before,” he said.
"it is easy to grow crazy"
at1with0

Postby En-Lugal » Tue Dec 18, 2012 12:19 am

If it turns out to be true, when we become aware, will the creator(s) pull the plug in a panic? :twisted:
The modern definition of ‘racist’ is someone who’s winning an argument with a liberal.
En-Lugal

Postby at1with0 » Tue Dec 18, 2012 12:31 am

Personally, I don't see why a discrete space-time lattice (rather than a space-time continuum) proves this is a simulation.

What I'm wondering is if truth is radically different in their world. Maybe 1+1=Pi.

I've seen hypnotists tell people to forget the number 7 and then the hypnotized person will count 1 to 10 and actually omit 7.

Maybe they have us hypnotized and there are many numbers we have forgotten that they have in their world.

The laws of physics could be completely different in their world. Perhaps gravity repels instead of attracts and they wanted to imagine what happens when the reverse is true in a simulation.
at1with0

Postby En-Lugal » Tue Dec 18, 2012 12:43 am

For all we know, we're experiment #2345698712 sharing a server blade with several other experiments. Maybe we're on a single harddrive in a long forgotten basement. All I know is this game sucks.
The modern definition of ‘racist’ is someone who’s winning an argument with a liberal.
En-Lugal

Postby at1with0 » Tue Dec 18, 2012 12:58 am

I made a program once where random strings of length 10 were generated.

Every string represented a true statement about a universe I created.

I did not invent a way to decipher the string of random letters and characters.

For example, 83jbri39f was an output which was code for a true statement. Who knows what it meant but for instance it could have meant that the object referenced by 83j has a relationship with an object named bri and the result is an object referenced by 39f.

"In 83 years, bri will get married." For example, is what that code could mean though I never tried to decipher it.

It was a lot like the green text popularized by the matrix except the green stuff wasn't what was false (ie the matrix), the green stuff is what is true.
at1with0

Postby at1with0 » Tue Dec 18, 2012 1:37 pm

Here's a little universe I created :lol:

This is a simulation of reality.

at1with0

Postby DIss0n80r » Tue Dec 18, 2012 4:48 pm

:think:
"I can conceive of nothing in religion, science, or philosophy, that is anything more than the proper thing to wear, for a while." ~ Charles Fort
DIss0n80r

Postby at1with0 » Tue Dec 18, 2012 6:13 pm

Unless one has been living in a cave, they are familiar with how the matrix was represented outside the matrix by flowing green characters.

I decided that if we're in a simulation, then such a flow might represent a window to outside the simulation.

Metaphorically speaking, of course... :D
at1with0

Postby DIss0n80r » Tue Dec 18, 2012 6:50 pm

"I can conceive of nothing in religion, science, or philosophy, that is anything more than the proper thing to wear, for a while." ~ Charles Fort
DIss0n80r

Postby at1with0 » Tue Dec 18, 2012 7:15 pm

Thank you for that, Diss.

I'm part way through it and noticed this:

So, the Buddha did not transcend the world, he experienced it fully and deeply. Really, it is the opposite of overcoming it. It could be said that we are overcoming the world in our conventional daily experience of distracting ourselves with story-lines filled with the self-frustrating hope and fear of wishing things were different than they actually are. That is the description of someone who overcomes her world by creating an artificial conceptual padding around herself so as not to have deal with the realities of life and existence.

Could it be said that the Buddha, while not overcoming the world, overcame "the illusion?"

There are two levels of enlightenment in Buddhism. The first, the Hinayana (smaller view) has as its goal the realization of selflessness, or the absence of the ego. The basis for this school is that there exists no entity that could be identified as the “self”. What we conventionally refer to as “I” is really a compounded formation of reducible parts. There is no single thing that exists that can be identified as a self. Each part can be broken down further and further ad infinitum. The second school, the Mahayana (larger view) holds the position that not just the self, but everything in the entire universe has as its basis this quality of emptiness (that is, emptiness of an independent existence).

With the help of the folks at LU, this finally makes sense.

I hafta run some errands, to be continued...
at1with0

Next

Return to General Discussion Topics

• View new posts
  • View unanswered posts