The Black Vault Message Forums

Discover the Truth!        

Religion & Spirituality

The End Is…Slowly Taking Some Time to Fade…

Whether you believe in a higher power or not, this forum is dedicated to the topic of religion and spirituality. We live in a diverse world with different morals and ideas when it comes to our beliefs, so come in and share your thoughts.

Postby Eldensword » Mon Nov 05, 2012 8:23 am

Event_Horizon: Sounds like you're pretty buried in, I like that you took as much time as you've had here to try and convince me, a perfect stranger, of how profound your relationship with "Nothing" is, very "logical" of you...
Eldensword

Postby greeney2 » Mon Nov 05, 2012 11:41 am

How can you be so ungrateful Eldensword? :lol: Don't you know Event Horizon is a critical thinker? :whistle:
greeney2

Postby event_horizon » Tue Nov 06, 2012 12:25 pm

Eldensword wrote:Event_Horizon: Sounds like you're pretty buried in, I like that you took as much time as you've had here to try and convince me, a perfect stranger, of how profound your relationship with "Nothing" is, very "logical" of you...

What? Was I not supposed to respond to your longwinded post? Sorry, I thought this was a forum. And I wasn't trying to "convince" you of anything; just giving my perspective.

"Nothing" is really bleak, I know. Who the heck wants to believe that oblivion awaits us all when we die? I don't want to either, but I couldn't believe in "God" no matter how hard I try. To me it's 99.99999999% fact that there's no such thing as an "omnipresent/omnipotent/omnipotent God". It doesn't make sense to me and it never will.
I don't believe what I believe because it's what I desire to believe. I believe what I believe because it's what logic and reason cause me to believe. All I want is to live with the truth -- nothing more, nothing less.
event_horizon

Postby event_horizon » Tue Nov 06, 2012 12:27 pm

greeney2 wrote:How can you be so ungrateful Eldensword? :lol: Don't you know Event Horizon is a critical thinker? :whistle:

As always, how nice of you to add something of substance to the conversation. :roll:

Troll.
I don't believe what I believe because it's what I desire to believe. I believe what I believe because it's what logic and reason cause me to believe. All I want is to live with the truth -- nothing more, nothing less.
event_horizon

Postby greeney2 » Tue Nov 06, 2012 2:34 pm

event_horizon wrote:As always, how nice of you to add something of substance to the conversation.

Well, when you respond to someone new to the forum, does not know your track record here, mocking them, by telling him he is wacky, delusional, and comment about his self worth, maybe its you that should be reported?
greeney2

Postby event_horizon » Tue Nov 06, 2012 4:46 pm

You're twisting it out of proportion (like you always do). I was speaking in general. Go back and read it again.

I think he/she is capable of handling himself/herself on this matter just fine.
event_horizon

Postby Eldensword » Wed Nov 07, 2012 8:51 am

event_horizon wrote:You're twisting it out of proportion (like you always do). I was speaking in general. Go back and read it again.

I think he/she is capable of handling himself/herself on this matter just fine.

I appreciate that Greeney2 was offering a word on this and shedding some light that I may be getting into a circular argument. It's all good and yes we're all here to speak our minds.

event_horizon - My final statement on the matter is that the belief comes when you retract your defenses and allow it to. That's not to say, "give into make believe and superstition". It's simply to have faith that humankind doesn't have all of the answers, all of the data and all of the proof yet.

Isn't that the biggest argument of the atheist -"Ok, crack-smoking fairy-tale freaks! SHOW ME YOUR GOD, NOW!! NO? WHERE'S YOUR PROOF???" - That argument is exactly the same argument I have with my 10 month old. Dead set against believing that a bath has any real benefit and that it offers a better result over all. Being stuck in the moment and misery of the water and noise and having to sit still and be uncomfortable for 5 minutes.

Not everyone is at the same stage of acceptance of what is "fact" and what is "fake" at the same time. Disbelief is easy when trust is non-existent and the information hasn't been fully processed. Disbelief is logical and obvious when your only relationship with the idea of God is based on human flaw, like abusive parents and trouble with authority. All the little things add up and its a challenge to put trust in something "out of view".

My point is, like learning to take a bath on your own, sometimes you have to be called "the stinky kid in class" before you learn the benefit of doing so. Everyone is at a different cognitive level. Not "smarter" or "dumber", just different stages of enlightenment. What's so hard to believe about that, given the bathing analogy? Deciding to have faith in God because of the benefit in social behavior / peer group acceptance, "rewards beyond the grave", to meet new people and exchange new ideology, to help the community, to escape from drug abuse or gang-life and any other myriad of reasons is still and always will be a "logical" decision since it will ideally advance that individual to be a "better person" (I understand that THAT statement can ensue another 15 thousand lines of argument back and forth). But, to me, all of it is simple once you learn to accept the sometimes uncomfortable notion that spending time, believing (bathing) gets you more - More of everything.

Best of luck to you in your search - I'm not convinced that you're not searching.

Real atheists don't troll or banter with the likes of us "crazies". They flat-out live off the grid and have no "mission" to change the minds of the faithful.

Blessed be your search - Un-cross your arms - Open your palms, face to the sky, in Sunlight, starlight or moonlight...Just breathe. Who knows what might happen.

Have a wonderful day! :D
Eldensword

Postby greeney2 » Wed Nov 07, 2012 1:51 pm

Eldensword wrote:Real atheists don't troll or banter with the likes of us "crazies". They flat-out live off the grid and have no "mission" to change the minds of the faithful.

There is a differance between having no Faith/belief in God, and the obsession to crush those who do.
greeney2

Postby Eldensword » Wed Nov 07, 2012 3:10 pm

Exactly! The quest to "crush" those of faith is one of the most intriguing acts of social science I can refer to. It is truly an oxymoron and the act is none other than an outreach, a calling for the "facts"...A search, not a real decision.

And that is what is so cool about it all, science and religion. No end - We go through stages, we learn and grow and advance. One day black is black and white is white and the next...Gray...Then we see in infrared and detect microwaves and x-rays and it just never ends...

Who would be crazy enough to stop searching for answers of any kind, in any category? Bizarre...
Eldensword

Postby event_horizon » Thu Nov 08, 2012 3:56 am

Eldensword, I've got no problem with people simply believing in "god". Religion is what bothers me.

But the main thing I have a problem with is "where did god come from?" If "god" can create itself from nothing then what's stopping anything else from being created from nothing?...like us?...

:eh:

Perhaps "God" evolved in another dimension...and I would have no problem with that idea...as long as it involved many other "gods".

The most ridiculous idea ever invented by man is the concept that "God was and always will be" -- never having a beginning.
event_horizon

PreviousNext

Return to Religion & Spirituality

• View new posts
  • View unanswered posts