The Black Vault Message Forums

Discover the Truth!        

Religion & Spirituality

Heaven is real, says neurosurgeon who claims to have visited

Whether you believe in a higher power or not, this forum is dedicated to the topic of religion and spirituality. We live in a diverse world with different morals and ideas when it comes to our beliefs, so come in and share your thoughts.

Postby En-Lugal » Wed Oct 10, 2012 8:42 pm

Heaven is real, says neurosurgeon who claims to have visited the afterlife

By Eric Pfeiffer, Yahoo! News | The Sideshow – Tue, Oct 9, 2012

Dr. Eben Alexander has taught at Harvard Medical School and has earned a strong reputation as a neurosurgeon. And while Alexander says he's long called himself a Christian, he never held deeply religious beliefs or a pronounced faith in the afterlife.

But after a week in a coma during the fall of 2008, during which his neocortex ceased to function, Alexander claims he experienced a life-changing visit to the afterlife, specifically heaven.

"According to current medical understanding of the brain and mind, there is absolutely no way that I could have experienced even a dim and limited consciousness during my time in the coma, much less the hyper-vivid and completely coherent odyssey I underwent," Alexander writes in the cover story of this week's edition of Newsweek.

Source

There's a video embedded to watch in the article. I don't know that it makes a case for the Biblical Heaven anymore than it could be interpreted as the Pagan Summer land. I do personally believe that there is an existence after this life. I have seen and experienced far too many things to believe otherwise.
The modern definition of ‘racist’ is someone who’s winning an argument with a liberal.
En-Lugal

Postby at1with0 » Thu Oct 11, 2012 3:06 pm

It would be nice if a replicable method existed to mimic these results.
"it is easy to grow crazy"
at1with0

Postby qmark » Thu Oct 11, 2012 3:32 pm

This may be a little off topic but, the below statement makes no sense at all.

And while Alexander says he's long called himself a Christian, he never held deeply religious beliefs or a pronounced faith in the afterlife.
qmark

Postby En-Lugal » Thu Oct 11, 2012 9:07 pm

at1with0 wrote:It would be nice if a replicable method existed to mimic these results.

Throw in some classic YES or Matthew Sweet and I'm with ya there. :D Maybe I played too much Homeworld and watched Heavy Metal a few too many times. :P

qmark wrote:This may be a little off topic but, the below statement makes no sense at all.

Of course it makes no sense to a Christian that reads scripture and believes the word of God. In today's world though, that describes a great many Christian's. Some attend the church services and occasionally crack open a Bible if they're preacher instructs them to. My father-in-law was like that until his father died. Now attends twice a week, volunteers to do the church sign and reads his Bible first thing every morning. Then he gets in the truck to go to work and listens to Christian talk radio.

He reads the word and then he lives it. He's raising his niece-in-laws kids and it's breaking him, driving him nuts and probably going to put him in an early grave. He's still doing it though.
The modern definition of ‘racist’ is someone who’s winning an argument with a liberal.
En-Lugal

Postby at1with0 » Fri Oct 12, 2012 7:47 am

Sounds like it's possible he's using religion as a method for coping with life, regardless of whether or not it's the "truth".
at1with0

Postby En-Lugal » Fri Oct 12, 2012 10:20 am

I think you're right, I did that once too. I couldn't do it anymore and it's had an impact on my son's own spirituality. I think I may have inadvertently swayed his decision or at least thrown a wrench into his formative gears. The rest though, has no doubt been caused by the Christian bullies at his school and the church he was attending. Just because he shared with other kids that he wasn't sure what he believed. He has been bullied, mocked and ridiculed for it. Some of the kids were football players and were suspended as a result.

One of the school faculty had him call home yesterday to deliver, what I call a retaliatory message. That if my son reports anymore of his students for bullying he will be suspended along with them. Apparently it doesn't matter that the kids were found to be guilty of hitting my son and the proper action taken. No, he's mad his football players were suspended or given retract and therefore unable to attend practice or the game. That's obviously the Christian thing to do, or what people encounter from so-called Christian's.

I don't believe Christian's are actually like that, not practicing Christian's anyway. No, those things are done is His name by those who proclaim to be Christian's. In my opinion, they're no different than the ignorant Islamist extremists. Like the extremists, they are ignorant of the word and just as susceptible to clerical(evangelical?) rabble-rousing which leads to this ignorant and intolerant behavior. That, in my opinion, is where the social stigma of Christianity comes from today and why churches are seeing many empty pews.
En-Lugal

Postby at1with0 » Fri Oct 12, 2012 11:00 am

God doesn't need us to act on its behalf. Too bad many people think otherwise.
at1with0

Postby En-Lugal » Fri Oct 12, 2012 11:23 am

That's precisely the point. We have been given free will yet many people seek to revoke that God given right because they feel threatened by it.
En-Lugal

Postby greeney2 » Sat Oct 13, 2012 10:14 am

Bullying seems to be a big thing to play the game with, so to speak. I have no idea of the facts of your son, sounds like he was the victim of regular garden variety sports jocks in school, being ***holes which usually involves bullying anyone out of there inner circle. We all grew up with them, big man on campus complex, shoving people around, Biff from the Future movies kind of jerks. Sometimes kids become regulars for the bullies, and they just terrorise them, into school being the worst experience of their life. Some kids never return to reunions their experiences were so bad. The girls are worse than the boys, being cruel, not letting some kids into the "clicks", and if you are the choosen "Out" one, bullying can led to real unhappiness or even suicides.

Kids can be cruel little heartless ***holes, and unfortunatly have learned how to really play the game with it. Ganging up on others, with the internet being one of the tools they use to terrorize with. Cyberbullying, rumors, pictures of other kids, and even making up stories about teachers, that all have to be investigated. Lies that led to total career ending results. Kids know how to get away with murder.

The other side of the coin, is every kid on the block is claiming some kind of bullying, with everyone and his brother. YOu have to know when its overdone and just an excuse for everything.
greeney2

Postby SmokinJoe » Fri Dec 28, 2012 10:42 pm

at1with0 wrote:God doesn't need us to act on its behalf. Too bad many people think otherwise.

I agree. It's sad that any human being allows his ego to tell him God needs him to do anything. In every religion around the world, there's not one single instance of God needing man to create the universe, planets, or life. And God is certainly capable of destroying his creation without our help.

I can remember when it was popular for extremist christians to go around bombing abortion clinics and killing many in the name of God. I always found it odd that their display of disdain for abortionists taking human life, was for them to take human life.

I personally do not believe God makes mistakes. We are all here for a reason. None of us have the right to supersede God's will by taking it upon ourselves to destroy each other in his name. It's utter nonsense. And yet, it has been done this way since the beginning.
Dawkins thinks belief in God is an excuse to evade thinking in the scientific world. Sadly, he is ignorant to the list of christian scientists who have contributed & founded many of the sciences he himself believes in. How ironic.
SmokinJoe

Next

Return to Religion & Spirituality

• View new posts
  • View unanswered posts