The Black Vault Message Forums

Discover the Truth!        

General Discussion Topics

Alex Karras, former NFL lineman, actor, dies at 77

The Black Vault Message Forums has a considerable number of niche forums to place your post. If you can not find a home for it, and the topic doesn't fit anywhere else, then post it here.

Postby En-Lugal » Wed Oct 10, 2012 10:49 am

Alex Karras, former NFL lineman, actor, dies at 77

By LARRY LAGE | Associated Press – 44 mins ago

DETROIT (AP) — Alex Karras was one of the NFL's most feared defensive tackles throughout the 1960s, a player who hounded quarterbacks and bulled past opposing linemen.

And yet, to many people he will always be the lovable dad from the 1980s sitcom "Webster" or the big cowboy who famously punched out a horse in "Blazing Saddles."

The rugged player, who anchored the Detroit Lions' defense and then made a successful transition to an acting career, with a stint along the way as a commentator on "Monday Night Football," died Wednesday. He was 77.

Karras had recently suffered kidney failure and been diagnosed with dementia. The Lions also said he had suffered from heart disease and, for the last two years, stomach cancer. He died at home in Los Angeles surrounded by family members, said Craig Mitnick, Karras' attorney.

"Perhaps no player in Lions history attained as much success and notoriety for what he did after his playing days as did Alex," Lions president Tom Lewand said.

Source

Oh man, it's like losing Bubba Smith all over again. He and Alex were an inspiration to me as great defensive players. As a kid who played defensive end, I dreamed of being a big name like these guys. I saw every movie and sitcom they were in. R.I.P.
The modern definition of ‘racist’ is someone who’s winning an argument with a liberal.
En-Lugal

Postby greeney2 » Wed Oct 10, 2012 11:24 am

Very likeable man from that era. Hard to imagine he was 77, where does time go? RIP.
greeney2

Postby En-Lugal » Wed Oct 10, 2012 11:44 am

Feeling old, greeney? :lol: More to the point, I don't watch Pro football anymore. I just don't feel the same way about as I did back then. I think it may have more to do with the character of the players then versus now. I'm an avid and somewhat zealous fan of college football though.
The modern definition of ‘racist’ is someone who’s winning an argument with a liberal.
En-Lugal

Return to General Discussion Topics

• View new posts
  • View unanswered posts