The Black Vault Message Forums

Discover the Truth!        

General Discussion Topics

Rounding Up!

The Black Vault Message Forums has a considerable number of niche forums to place your post. If you can not find a home for it, and the topic doesn't fit anywhere else, then post it here.

Postby greeney2 » Wed Aug 29, 2012 9:57 am

We went out to dinner at Maria's Italian food a few nights ago, and used my bank card to pay for dinner. I use the same card everyplace I go, its both ATM or Credit, takes the balance right out of my checking account, so no balance builds up.

On the bill was a new line I have never seen before, and I use this card daily. Under the total was a line called "Rounding up", meaning you could take the total and round the amount up, in this case it was $47.75, so it asked if I wanted to round it up to $48.00.

Why would anyone do that, and why are they doing this at all? I herd something about B of A doing this and depositing the rounded up amount into a savings account, but this is not a B of A card.

Anyone else seen this or even do it if you have? If they propose rounding up, they should be rounding down to the next whole dollar. Chipotle was just in the news for tacking of pennies and cheating customers.
greeney2

Postby blackvault » Wed Aug 29, 2012 10:56 am

Was it rounding up after or before the tip?

How lame... I wonder if its because society is getting stupider? (Yes, I said stupider ;) )
-----
John Greenewald, Jr.
The Black Vault Website Owner / Operator
http://www.theblackvault.com
blackvault

Postby En-Lugal » Wed Aug 29, 2012 11:06 am

Sounds like a durr-hurr-durr way to get a little extra money. Problem is, it'll work because a lot of people will think it makes sense somehow. :lol:
The modern definition of ‘racist’ is someone who’s winning an argument with a liberal.
En-Lugal

Postby greeney2 » Wed Aug 29, 2012 12:55 pm

John it was right under the total, to round up the purchase, followed by adding the tip. They asked for you to round up the total purchase.
greeney2

Postby inja » Wed Aug 29, 2012 7:19 pm

It seems someone had a creative moment and figured out how to make some money by doin nothing other than offering you an option to pay more for their service :D Crazy but I bet there will be people who are "take advantage" of tis offer!!!!
Truth is stranger than fiction, because fiction has to make sense.
inja

Postby at1with0 » Sat Sep 01, 2012 8:48 am

Maybe rounding it up would have enabled you to more easily calculate the tip. 15% of 47.75 is not as easy as 15% of 48.

But even if that's the rationale you don't actually have to PAY 48, you round up in your head and calculate the time by estimating.
"it is easy to grow crazy"
at1with0

Return to General Discussion Topics

• View new posts
  • View unanswered posts