The Black Vault Message Forums

Discover the Truth!        

Religion & Spirituality

Do Atheists Brainwash their children?

Whether you believe in a higher power or not, this forum is dedicated to the topic of religion and spirituality. We live in a diverse world with different morals and ideas when it comes to our beliefs, so come in and share your thoughts.

Postby greeney2 » Sun Aug 26, 2012 10:25 am

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Brainwashing

Brainswashing is associated with torture as you state, but is also evolved from wartime kinds of brainwashing/torture, to kinds of mind control that are not, and used in cult and other new religious conversion. Tactics are explained in the link to some extent. Its a fine line, where if you take the idea brainwashing uses violant techniques, to what degree is it considered torture? Is spanking a child a technique of torture and brainwashing, some people think it is now.
greeney2

Postby at1with0 » Sun Aug 26, 2012 10:36 am

greeney2 wrote:http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Brainwashing

Brainswashing is associated with torture as you state, but is also evolved from wartime kinds of brainwashing/torture, to kinds of mind control that are not, and used in cult and other new religious conversion. Tactics are explained in the link to some extent. Its a fine line, where if you take the idea brainwashing uses violant techniques, to what degree is it considered torture? Is spanking a child a technique of torture and brainwashing, some people think it is now.

Interesting point. No, I don't consider spanking as a technique in brainwashing.

"systematically uses unethically manipulative methods to persuade others to conform to the wishes of the manipulator(s), often to the detriment of the person being manipulated".

The question becomes that of asking if parents brainwashing their children... I guess this happens all the time with most parents which is why I initially didn't view it as brainwashing (under the definition that forced coercion is taking place). Society as a whole often seeks to brainwash people in that definition.
"it is easy to grow crazy"
at1with0

Postby inja » Sun Aug 26, 2012 7:29 pm

qmark wrote:I have my own church horror stories. :thumbdown:

However, a question came to mind.

inja wrote: But to me Christianity is part of my western culture and so I have found it to be important for her to know the stories and the understanding of what it means to be a Christian.

Can a non Christian help someone understand what it means to be a Christian?

This board is messing with me. I posted and got booted out. Ok...so the gist of what I wrote was that yes as a non Christian I can explain what it means to be a Christian.....for them to feel it as well....no that I cannot do.

But neither can a Christian go beyond giving someone understanding. It is a personal journey for an individual to come to the belief that their path is within the Christian faith. I believe this forum proves that very well.
Truth is stranger than fiction, because fiction has to make sense.
inja

Postby inja » Sun Aug 26, 2012 7:45 pm

greeney2 wrote:No too sure I agree all parents brainwash kids--no exceptions! Maybe you could elaborate, as to what you would regard as brainwashing, and what the spectrem of that would be.

Every parent (going now with healthy families) will educate their child based on their personal opinions, beliefs and perceptions. Since the title uses the word brainwashing in conjunction with an atheist camp I am taking the word rather lightly. The title could have said do Christian parents brainwash their children....and the article could have spoken about the Christian camps that also exist and my response would have been the same. Every parent does based on their background. No this is not real brainwashing.

True brainwashing comes with abuse, isolation etc. I think of some of the cults that have entire societies within them and what we deem normal society never reaches these children and so to break out is difficult or not even on the mind. That is real brainwashing to me. A child who hears over and over again by their parent(s) that they are no good, a loser etc is also a form of brainwashing due to emotional abuse.

In essence in regular everyday life parents pass on to their children what they believe to be true whether that is religion, politics, morality or how to boil an egg correctly. And in a lot of ways children take exactly on what there parents teach them.

On a personal note I was sitting next to my daughter one day on the couch (I may have mentioned this before) and I had a moment of real insight (feels surreal) where you come to realize that you really do not have any power over another person or your child and that what you are really doing is placing seeds within them hoping they will water them into full bloom. You can help to try to show them how to water them but that is pretty much as far as it goes. As a mom...scary....
Once force is used, emotional, physical or mental than true brainwashing is taking place.

So my answer remains the same....no atheist are not brain washing their children.
Truth is stranger than fiction, because fiction has to make sense.
inja

Postby at1with0 » Sun Aug 26, 2012 7:56 pm

brainwashing:
"systematically uses unethically manipulative methods to persuade others to conform to the wishes of the manipulator(s), often to the detriment of the person being manipulated".

I think with parents it's not unethical so not brainwashing... Except in cases of brainwashing of course.
at1with0

Postby orangetom1999 » Mon Aug 27, 2012 3:52 am

brainwashing or propaganda is not necessarily violent nor torture. It is often subtle in it's persuasion method.

Television has become more and more brainwashing and propaganda. From the commercials to the programming.

l often think of the jucy tasty food commercials designed to separate us from our labor/monies.

Can propaganda..followed by emotional appeal...get us to vote a certain way??

I recall years ago....I was walking to work and singing that Jucy Fruit gum jingle. I had been doing it off and on all day.

I walked into a restaurant and asked the person behind the counter for a pack of Jucy Fruit Gum. On the way into the gate...it occured to me....I dont even like Jucy Fruit gum...I like Wintergreen gum. I had been subtly programmed...by myself to buy Jucy Fruit gum. I had helped to do it to myself.

Thanks,
Orangetom
orangetom1999

Postby at1with0 » Mon Aug 27, 2012 7:56 am

orangetom1999 wrote:Can propaganda..followed by emotional appeal...get us to vote a certain way??

I'm sure there are many who hope that is the case... But I wonder... if we are mind controlled or victims of propaganda, why is there still such a huge divide among who we vote for?
at1with0

Postby at1with0 » Mon Aug 27, 2012 9:37 am

This was written on the back of the doritos bag:

rip open a bag
of the doritos
cool ranch
flavor tortilla chips you crave.

experience that
ballistic
doritos crunch
as it unleashes an
explosion of
cool ranch flavor
in your mouth

it's the only snack
bold enough to call
itself doritos

for more great
doritos
experiences,
check out:

http://www.doritos.com

I noticed that quip right after I ripped the bag open. In my peripheral view was the phrase "rip open the bag"
at1with0

Postby orangetom1999 » Mon Aug 27, 2012 9:44 am

at1with0 wrote:
orangetom1999 wrote:Can propaganda..followed by emotional appeal...get us to vote a certain way??

I'm sure there are many who hope that is the case... But I wonder... if we are mind controlled or victims of propaganda, why is there still such a huge divide among who we vote for?

Good question a1with0...very good question.

I suggest that there are enough people out here who do not live for their passions or entitlement beliefs or both. These people have enough real life experience to know and not get all worked up over the next gadget or gimmick coming across the television or movie screen.

These people also have enough experience to know that politics/leadership ..in order to keep the people on the string is following the template of television/movie programming in entitlements, and emotional appeal....guilt programming...or guilt acceptance. Politicians are moving steadily and quickly to put there noses further up the backsides of Hollywood and television...and vice versa. And some are aware of it.

These people are getting much older. They realize that they have been fooled enough by this system preying on them in every avenue. They are becoming more "Realists" verses Idealists. And of recent ...many have learned an important lesson about Idealism....classroom theory verses what you find out in the world.

Thanks,
Orangetom

Post Script...

I remember that movie ...though I don't remember the title. I noted it for its cult like appeal to many. Also the underlying propaganda/brainwashing theme was appropriate to many.

This is why you often see me quote..about how many people you know who cannot make a intelligent thought of their own without referencing some movie or television program they have watched. That they have movie and television thoughts, emotions, and values. No life outside of television/movie programming.

Is this a type of zombieism???
orangetom1999

Postby at1with0 » Mon Aug 27, 2012 9:56 am

Yes it is a type of zombism. Roy Masters, a skilled hypnotist, remarked that most people are constantly hypnotized (zombie-like) and thus are highly suggestible.
at1with0

PreviousNext

Return to Religion & Spirituality

• View new posts
  • View unanswered posts