The Black Vault Message Forums

Discover the Truth!        

Religion & Spirituality

The Bible and Homosexuality

Whether you believe in a higher power or not, this forum is dedicated to the topic of religion and spirituality. We live in a diverse world with different morals and ideas when it comes to our beliefs, so come in and share your thoughts.

Postby greeney2 » Fri Aug 03, 2012 7:12 pm

Boloney disson80r, I responded very well to the idea the actions of our predominatly Christian/Judeo society, has passed all our discrimination laws that protects all these Gay rights activists, as well as all other minority rights. How that is hipocracy, or an affront to Gay lifestyles, I have no idea.

The very base of people you think are so bigoted, have passed all these laws against bigotry, and made court rulings favoring all of these issues. This country gives the freedom to practice what ever lifestyle you want, and who is more tolerant than people of Faith and belief, not acting out in these issues by breaking the law? The idea you are oppressed by Religions is ridiculous.

Today what happened? The Gay activists resorted to what should be a hate crime, defacing the Chick-fil-a with a bigoted message of their own, sprayed on the wall. Why! Only becasue so many people turned out in support of it being improper to attack a business over free speech. Your own response to my writing was yourself condemning and persecuting Christians for their belief, and religious freedom. Don't preach hipocracy, when you can not even do basic tolerance yourself, for peoples religion or inturpetation of sin. Did I label you the other day, when your explanation of your own beliefs, failed to be very clear?
greeney2

Postby DIss0n80r » Fri Aug 03, 2012 7:44 pm

http://www.owldolatrous.com/?p=288

- Two organizations that work very hard to maintain this status quo and roll back any protections that we may have are the Family Research Council and the Marriage & Family Foundation. For example, the Family Research council leadership has officially stated that same-gender-loving behavior should be criminalized in this country. They draw their pay, in part, from the donations of companies like Chick-Fil-A. Both groups have also done “missionary” work abroad that served to strengthen and promote criminalization of same-sex relations.

- Chick-Fil-A has given roughly $5M to these organizations to support their work.

- Chick-Fil-A’s money comes from the profits they make when you purchase their products.
"I can conceive of nothing in religion, science, or philosophy, that is anything more than the proper thing to wear, for a while." ~ Charles Fort
DIss0n80r

Postby rath » Fri Aug 03, 2012 9:50 pm

Here's one of my threads from 2010.

It talked about double standards in the bible.

& why we insist on enforcing some laws an not others.

Hope it helps.

topic4372.html
rath

Postby humphreys » Sat Aug 04, 2012 2:10 am

Greeney, I am not even going to bother responding. Disson8or is right, you cannot debate the subject. All you are doing is derailing and have answered none of the questions.

Look at frrosted's response, it is a direct answer to my questions. I may have issue with it, but it is an answer, what you have given isn't.

Thank you frrosted for not derailing.
"All of our behavior can be traced to biological events about which we have no conscious knowledge: this has always suggested that free will is an illusion."

- Sam Harris
humphreys

Postby humphreys » Sat Aug 04, 2012 2:17 am

frrostedman wrote:The simple answer is, homosexuality is condemned in the New Testament. Remember: Christians claim to be under a New Covenant. Jesus and St. Paul belabored the point over and over and over again... the new replaces the old.

A heavy sigh is in order as this point seems to be completely forgotten; as if this Christian tenet goes in one ear and out the other.

Now, don't take this as an opportunity to do the usual, "Ok well if THAT's the case, then why don't you just throw the Old Testament in the trash can?" How many times have we had this debate.

But that's the simple answer and it's all that's necessary.

Thank you for the response.

Is it not true that Jesus never mentioned homosexuality? Is it not also true that Leviticus is most often cited by Christians as evidence that homosexuality is wrong? In my experience it is, and that's a double-standard because you must either accept OT or not, you can't pick and choose.

What Leviticus says about menstruation is universal. We are not talking about laws, we are talking about direct statements from God about women on their period as "unclean", and everything they touch, or go near as "unclean". Men are supposed to stay away from them because they are so unclean. How is that something that is not universal? Did menstruating women suddenly become clean when Jesus died on the cross? Because that makes no sense. How many Christians sleep in a separate bed from their wives when they have their period? Do you? It seems that the Bible's stance on the matter is quite clear, even if that "law" is not strictly mandatory these days, it should at least be considered good practice.

Notice also, that God, in all his wisdom, does not instruct women on how to be hygienic, he simply tells men to "stay away", as they are "unclean".

It seems to me that a heck of a lot of focus is put on homosexuality as opposed to most other things in the OT, and that the NT's rules to simply "love thy neighbour" are seldom followed.
"All of our behavior can be traced to biological events about which we have no conscious knowledge: this has always suggested that free will is an illusion."

- Sam Harris
humphreys

Postby greeney2 » Sat Aug 04, 2012 10:42 am

You will not respond to my answer, becasue it does not allow your little "gothcha this time" mentality of twisting around passages to fly, which is all EH imaginary God site is for. Whatever your point is, in my mind is not even viable, with your rididulous analogy of womens menstration. If these Christians you speak about had no moral compass, would our Congress and courts, made up of God believing Christian/judeo people, pass these laws, or would they say "Oh no! Leviticas says it is forbidden, we can't do that, and pass laws against gays accordingly".

The ten commandments are also from the old testament, and just as valid today they are sins, but half the world doesn't regard adulty as a sin and wrong anymore. Our entertainment world makes light, of almost all of the Commandments. Again, check how other countries do not allow the kind of thing the USA does in movies. Our laws are careful not to confuse what many believe to be sins, and issues that are clearly a crime. Adulty is a sin, but not a crime. Homosexuality is a sin, but not a crime. Eating pork is not considered a sin now(at least to Catholics), and also not a crime, however some othodox religions still do not ever eat pork, and regarded as a sin.

My point is other countries do make these religious issues crimes, in our most oppressive countries, but in the free world we do not. And countries that have run by Atheism has been some of the worst in human rights. The best seems to be the Christian/Judeo based countries, coinsodently all countries of the free world, not 3rd world nations. If you really think about it, the Christian/Judeo way of thinking, is not the enemy, if anything has been what has allowed these issues to be allowed.

If you don't want the kind of response I gave, don't couple your entire post to the current chick-fil-a news. I'm not derailing anything, you just do not like my input, which may be a different perspective.
greeney2

Postby DIss0n80r » Sat Aug 04, 2012 10:54 am

I guess Greene can't answer your question, Hum. Maybe because it doesn't make sense to him, either, but he's obligated to defend baloney?
"I can conceive of nothing in religion, science, or philosophy, that is anything more than the proper thing to wear, for a while." ~ Charles Fort
DIss0n80r

Postby humphreys » Sat Aug 04, 2012 11:38 am

No, he cannot answer it, partly because as he admits he has never even read the Bible.

He doesn't have a clue. Usually I would respond to him, but I've had enough playing his games where he thinks he can completely derail a thread and make it about something other than the subject of the thread, because he doesn't have a clue about it.

- Sam Harris
humphreys

Postby greeney2 » Sat Aug 04, 2012 12:18 pm

So nobody but you decides what response should be given, to your engineered question? Or what the religious beliefs or others may be? Your logic to your own question, is the only logic that is right? You try making an premise by pitting several things in the Bible against each other for some far fetched analogy, and expect everyone should see it the way you are twisting. But in actual practice in our society, these things are not clouded in our laws.

You paint some picture that Christians are oppressing the rights of Gays, but in fact have done everything to protect their rights. If you can not see this perspective and logic, I can not help it. We have not elected a body of 100 Senators, Hundreds of Congressmen, 9 Supreme Court Justices, and Presidents, that have not been Atheists and only few have emerged as Homosexuals in our history. Yet this body of people, predominatly Christians/Judeo believers have enacted laws, contray to these passages you talk about. The so called Christian right, is elected to offices, yet they still pass into law, issues that are not in agreement with Bible passages, like rights of gays. How do you explain this, and in the same breathe act like then Christian right wingers, have oppressed anyone.
greeney2

Postby DIss0n80r » Sat Aug 04, 2012 12:27 pm

He seems to want to know why so many Christians get worked up over that one part (homosexuality) and emphasize it so much, yet usually ignore those other parts and basically shrug it off when asked about them.

Kinda like you're doing.

It's a fair question.

By the way, we don't have a christian government.
DIss0n80r

PreviousNext

Return to Religion & Spirituality

• View new posts
  • View unanswered posts