The Black Vault Message Forums

Discover the Truth!        

Religion & Spirituality

Survey shows Americans losing their religion

Whether you believe in a higher power or not, this forum is dedicated to the topic of religion and spirituality. We live in a diverse world with different morals and ideas when it comes to our beliefs, so come in and share your thoughts.

Postby humphreys » Sat Jul 28, 2012 7:33 am

Would a Christian get angry if their son, or daughter, or grandchild ended up in Hell, or would it be a matter of shrugging the shoulders and accepting that they obviously deserve eternal torture and suffering on a scale the human mind cannot even comprehend, because the whole Jesus thing didn't seem plausible to them, or they found another religion more likely to be true or died as agnostics?
"All of our behavior can be traced to biological events about which we have no conscious knowledge: this has always suggested that free will is an illusion."

- Sam Harris
humphreys

Postby qmark » Sat Jul 28, 2012 8:28 am

event_horizon wrote:
qmark wrote:It proves nothing except there are a lot of false prophets.

You just called Jesus a false prophet because...

According to Matthew 16:28, Jesus himself predicted his second coming and the end of the world within the lifetime of his contemporaries.

Wrong.

"Truly I say to you, there are some of those who are standing here who will not taste death until they see the Son of Man coming in His kingdom."

John saw Jesus return and set up His kingdom, and he wrote it down in the Book of Revelation before he died.
qmark

Postby greeney2 » Sat Jul 28, 2012 12:09 pm

humphreys wrote:Would a Christian get angry if their son, or daughter, or grandchild ended up in Hell, or would it be a matter of shrugging the shoulders and accepting that they obviously deserve eternal torture and suffering on a scale the human mind cannot even comprehend, because the whole Jesus thing didn't seem plausible to them, or they found another religion more likely to be true or died as agnostics?

I have never encountered this with any Christian I know, and not a possibilty for this family, and only a question an unbeliever could dream up. However, a lot of Parents make bad choices that help insure bad outcomes for their children, that I have seen, and you will too, if you are lucky to see age 65 and a little wisdom. I have no idea if they really lead to Hell or not, but some certainly qualify, but they certainly generate misery in life, and a lot of conflict of the soul. All I know is we have children and grandchildren with a moral compass that works, are well adjusted, who studied world religions in their schools, know and believe in God, Baptised and Confirmed and have Faith. If we gave them any tools they need in life, that is the most important. I am not expecting you to get it why, you only seem focused on ridiculing and not caring to understand. All I know is the path we took worked, and is continues to work, and our kids are going to be OK. All I see in your path if the message board is the yardstick, is an uncertain guess at the future, and a misguided idea of religion, and obsession that begs for approval. I wonder why you think everyone owes you some iron clad explanation, which you never listen to anyway. You are at the beginning of a path, and those of us who have walked down that path, hope you consider the path you take includes others along with you now.
greeney2

Postby humphreys » Sat Jul 28, 2012 1:22 pm

You never think about it? :problem:

Why? You don't seem to be aware how tough the Bible says it can be to get into heaven. Frrosted here says it's the hardest thing one can ever do. Most people have doubts, and yet you're absolutely certain all your loved ones are going straight to heaven? You're in denial.

Only atheists dream up questions like this because Christians either shove their fingers in their ears and forget all the negative sides of their religion exist, or they don't truly believe the Bible to begin with, so they play the "religion game" and go along with it - not true believers. I have a feeling you fall into the latter camp, you have never truly convinced me that you're a proper believer, you haven't even read the Bible.
"All of our behavior can be traced to biological events about which we have no conscious knowledge: this has always suggested that free will is an illusion."

- Sam Harris
humphreys

Postby greeney2 » Sat Jul 28, 2012 4:24 pm

I just love when you let you mouth overrun your brain, when you don't have a clue, what I even said to you. You clearly have a problem listening to anything.
greeney2

Postby humphreys » Sun Jul 29, 2012 2:09 am

You're the one who doesn't listen. You never even answered my original question on whether you would be angry, you just went off on a rant about how such a scenario is impossible, which it clearly isn't, seeing as the vast majority of people will end up in hell if Christianity is true.

And, if the Calvinists are right, all the conditioning you can do to your family won't even matter, if they are not predestined to go to heaven, they're off to hell. If you really believed in the Bible, this would bother you greatly.

- Sam Harris
humphreys

Postby at1with0 » Sun Jul 29, 2012 7:53 am

humphreys wrote:If you really believed in the Bible, this would bother you greatly.

I think a lot of Christians take for granted that they are going to heaven. Take heaven and any reward out of the equation and I wonder how many of them would still follow the teachings of Christ.

I personally don't think God is a deliverer of punishment and reward; if that were so, we're basically in a Pavlovian experiment. I don't think life is that trivial.
"it is easy to grow crazy"
at1with0

Postby En-Lugal » Mon Nov 26, 2012 7:52 am

I sat in the break room a couple nights ago, as I've been getting nothing but closing shifts lately. There is a group of people there, bullies would be the proper term for them, that start in on one associate just because he was talking about the earth and our space program. In typical fashion they start misquoting canned scripture they heard somewhere, I doubt any of them have ever opened a Bible, and ganging up on the guy and telling him that the earth is flat and square. Yes, really. :roll:

Their proof? Jesus said something about the four corners of the earth. Trying to stay out of it, I started thinking aloud and before I knew it I brought up the video feed from NASA and google earth etc. Of course they tried to refute that but realized how absurd that argument was, or at least how absurd it was to try that argument with me. Of course they said the whole space program is a lie, we've never been out of our atmosphere much less to the moon.

Reading any book other than the Bible is a sin, they said. It's the only book you need, they said. Right about this time I had to stop myself from explaining how grateful I was that doctors, physicists and engineers disagreed with them but thought better of it. I don't mind a person having their faith and own personal view of the world. To attack someone and basically refute all of modern day science though, it's no wonder people have lost their faith having to listen to nut jobs like this. I mean, I'd heard about people like this but never imagined I'd actually meet them, especially more than one.
The modern definition of ‘racist’ is someone who’s winning an argument with a liberal.
En-Lugal

Postby orangetom1999 » Mon Nov 26, 2012 8:32 am

humphreys wrote:Would a Christian get angry if their son, or daughter, or grandchild ended up in Hell, or would it be a matter of shrugging the shoulders and accepting that they obviously deserve eternal torture and suffering on a scale the human mind cannot even comprehend, because the whole Jesus thing didn't seem plausible to them, or they found another religion more likely to be true or died as agnostics?

This is textbook of public education non standards in which only part of the story or picture is told. So too is it with the OP.

For it is obvious to those versed in the Word that numbers and quantities mean nothing with God.

Was it not so that with Noah and his family there were only 8 people left on the earth who had not been defiled by the wisdom and traditions and boasting of men?? Only 8 people and one of them perfect in their generations..Noah.

And they are boasting about 1 in 5 being unbelievers?? Wow!! This is what I mean by public education and concealing or hiding the big picture.

"I will ever conceal and never reveal...not by mark, step, sign, or inscription."

For this is Lucifers method... to cause confusion..by telling only half the story or knowledge.

The Christian on meat and not on milk..knows that all deserve hell and damnatation....all men...no exceptions. This includes Christians as well. For the Believer knows what happened to men by Adam...as well as what it means for him.

Once you know and believe what is in the Word...it makes the OP and questions such as quoted above to be silly or moot and only demonstrating the false sophistry of men trying to pass as intelligence when it is not such thing.

Hope this helps and clarifies,

Orangetom
orangetom1999

Previous

Return to Religion & Spirituality

• View new posts
  • View unanswered posts