The Black Vault Message Forums

Discover the Truth!        

Religion & Spirituality

A Case for Intelligent Design: Part 2

Whether you believe in a higher power or not, this forum is dedicated to the topic of religion and spirituality. We live in a diverse world with different morals and ideas when it comes to our beliefs, so come in and share your thoughts.

Postby humphreys » Sun Jul 01, 2012 4:48 am

CodeBlack wrote:I think the multiverse theory is nothing more than starting with the concept of "we don't know" and then creating a theory that makes it ok that we don't know.

It's always okay to say "we don't know", and 'faith' or religion is never an acceptable answer to lack of scientific knowledge. This is God of the gaps nonsense, and it needs to stop.
"All of our behavior can be traced to biological events about which we have no conscious knowledge: this has always suggested that free will is an illusion."

- Sam Harris
humphreys

Postby at1with0 » Sun Jul 01, 2012 6:20 am

parallel universes are not a theory, but a prediction of certain theories.

Max Tegmark, the Multiverse Hierarchy
"it is easy to grow crazy"
at1with0

Postby DIss0n80r » Sun Jul 01, 2012 10:56 am

What has always deeply troubled me isn't a belief in God per se - I'm a panentheist - but rather the distortions, twisting and warping of reason, refusal to adjust with new evidence, the close-mindedness, the willful ignorance, and hints of paranoia and villification that emerge in rhetoric such as frosted's last post and pretty much everything Tom writes.

It always seems to come down to a moral indignation, as if things can't be true just because they don't like them. "Evolution is immoral. Darwinism is immoral." And so on.

Look at CB and frosted's posts. They seem to dismiss the possibility as immoral, and then hint about evil agendas. They don't even seem to clearly understand it, but they feel entitled to shoot it down and then start labeling people or making insinuations about them.

Now maybe I misread their intentions, but it seems to me exactly the same brand of self-righteous "my religion is right" justification that these religions use against each other that I talked about before.
"I can conceive of nothing in religion, science, or philosophy, that is anything more than the proper thing to wear, for a while." ~ Charles Fort
DIss0n80r

Postby at1with0 » Sun Jul 01, 2012 12:17 pm

DIss0n80r wrote:What has always deeply troubled me isn't a belief in God per se - I'm a panentheist - but rather the distortions, twisting and warping of reason, refusal to adjust with new evidence, the close-mindedness, the willful ignorance, and hints of paranoia and villification that emerge in rhetoric

Sounds like it would make a great TV show.
at1with0

Postby DIss0n80r » Sun Jul 01, 2012 12:33 pm

at1with0 wrote:
DIss0n80r wrote:What has always deeply troubled me isn't a belief in God per se - I'm a panentheist - but rather the distortions, twisting and warping of reason, refusal to adjust with new evidence, the close-mindedness, the willful ignorance, and hints of paranoia and villification that emerge in rhetoric

Sounds like it would make a great TV show.

:twisted: :twisted: :twisted:
"I can conceive of nothing in religion, science, or philosophy, that is anything more than the proper thing to wear, for a while." ~ Charles Fort
DIss0n80r

Postby at1with0 » Sun Jul 01, 2012 1:31 pm

I might hafta borrow that video for when I intelligently design a polyverse.
at1with0

Postby DIss0n80r » Sun Jul 01, 2012 2:02 pm

First you need to focus on becoming intelligent, then later you can try your hand at design. Baby steps! :twisted:
DIss0n80r

Postby at1with0 » Sun Jul 01, 2012 4:52 pm

at1with0

Postby DIss0n80r » Tue Jul 03, 2012 8:46 am

Then again, maybe I put the cart in front of the horse... :think:
DIss0n80r

Postby at1with0 » Tue Jul 03, 2012 10:12 am

Could be!
at1with0

PreviousNext

Return to Religion & Spirituality

• View new posts
  • View unanswered posts