The Black Vault Message Forums

Discover the Truth!        

Religion & Spirituality

Major Threat to Religion? Clergy People Turning Atheist

Whether you believe in a higher power or not, this forum is dedicated to the topic of religion and spirituality. We live in a diverse world with different morals and ideas when it comes to our beliefs, so come in and share your thoughts.

Postby humphreys » Sun Jun 17, 2012 6:20 am

Blah blah, public education, emotion, drama, good nonsense, same old crap.

You might as well be a bot. Where is the yawn smiley when you need it?

Nothing original, clever or interesting there, just a self-obsessed, arrogant bore who enjoys reading his own words infinitely more than anyone else does.

Never before have so many words been used, to say so little.
"All of our behavior can be traced to biological events about which we have no conscious knowledge: this has always suggested that free will is an illusion."

- Sam Harris
humphreys

Postby orangetom1999 » Sun Jun 17, 2012 6:24 am

qmark,

In reference to a public education...a movie and television thinking and values education..I will relate this recent tale of what happened to me.

Earlier this week I attended a commencement for high school graduates at the Campus of the College of William and Mary in Colonial Williamsburg.

What I found so incredible and stunning ...was one of the speakers ...a PHD at the podium.

In trying to relate a story or principle..to these graduating students...this PHD used/referenced a movie and his motivation speech pretty much related the whole movie plot in his encouragement of these students.

The movie is called "Hunger Games."

I was stunned and at the same time...had to contain myself from laughing out loud...putting my hand over my mouth in suppression.

The graduating girls mother looked at me in irritation..as she had no clue as to my rationale. But the graduating girls father, sitting behind me, put his hand on my shoulder and said..." I got it!! I caught it. " We had conversed on this concept many times and now he gets it as well.
I hope he spreads the word about this ...and what I have been telling him for some time about our artificial world outside he doors...verses reality.

We have a PHD..a man of letters...and he cannot relate or motivate students outside of movie and television thinking.
Talk about pitiful.

Art imitating life or...

Life imitating art.

Life imitating art tells me someone is on the puppet string. Even a PHD. And they don't even seem to notice what is wrong with it. It is perfectly normal. I don't think so. I think it is perverted.

One thing it is not ..is original...or individual is another word for it.

Just some thoughts about a recent experience I've had over here.

Thanks,
Orangetom
orangetom1999

Postby humphreys » Sun Jun 17, 2012 6:28 am

Found it.

"All of our behavior can be traced to biological events about which we have no conscious knowledge: this has always suggested that free will is an illusion."

- Sam Harris
humphreys

Postby orangetom1999 » Sun Jun 17, 2012 6:33 am

LOL LOL LOL Humphreys,

I believe I need to give you the Readers Digest version as you have problems with your digestion of long posts.

Attention span problems...bore easily.

You do realize Humphreys ..that adults do not bore so easily. And they are not prone or classless enough to make public the fact that they bore easily.

continuing on in the Readers Digest Condensed version ..

What would you do...yourself Humphreys...about two bears mauling someone??

and

What is the name of this religion...Humphreys..of such man made slaughter??
Much more...what is the name of the god of such man made slaughter that it continues so devoutly/zealously??

Thanks,
Orangetom
Last edited by orangetom1999 on Sun Jun 17, 2012 6:37 am, edited 1 time in total.
orangetom1999

Postby humphreys » Sun Jun 17, 2012 6:36 am

What do either of those questions have to do with the morality of the Bible story?

Absolutely nothing. What a lame dodge.

Been taking debating advice from greeney have you? :lol:

- Sam Harris
humphreys

Postby humphreys » Sun Jun 17, 2012 6:43 am

As to why they are irrelevant, question 1, well, surely I don't need to explain why that question has nothing to do with the Bible story? What I would do if there were bears attacking children is phone for help, as most would do, and then do what I can to help the children, unless I had a weapon to hand. But that has no relevance.

As for the second question, you are implying that two wrongs make a right, and I have addressed that already, making your question a moot point. If humanity kills kids in the past, it does not justify God killing kids in the future, or vice versa.

I hope this helps.

- Sam Harris
humphreys

Postby orangetom1999 » Sun Jun 17, 2012 6:47 am

Humphreys,

Wow!!!

What do either of those questions have to do with the morality of the Bible story?

Because the Bible Story continues unto this day. Both you and I are obvious proof of this concept.

I need to tell you that??

You are trying to imply that I am not in reality??? Wow!!!

You very obviously cannot even deal with me or questions outside of some teenage pubescent techniques and then facing that ..claim boredom. Peak performance!!??

Sorry Humphreys..but you are no more intelligent than that PHD at the commencement ceremony earlier this week.
The PHD was to me proof that evolution is not happening no matter how much technology/science surrounds us.

Thanks,
Orangetom
orangetom1999

Postby humphreys » Sun Jun 17, 2012 6:53 am

Someone who has to feign surprise at everything the other person says is not going to be convincing to anyone with half a brain :roll:

- Sam Harris
humphreys

Postby humphreys » Sun Jun 17, 2012 6:54 am

Seeing as you're too slow to recognize the fallacy even when it has been pointed out to you multiple times, maybe it'll help to see it in writing from an external source.

Here you go, the "two wrongs make a right" logical fallacy:

http://www.fallacyfiles.org/twowrong.html

Also, with regards to communication with you, I feel quite sorry for the guy with the PHD, as he is probably running directly into the following issue:

http://www.lifeslittlemysteries.com/218 ... orant.html

(And yes, you are the dumb one)

- Sam Harris
humphreys

Postby event_horizon » Sun Jun 17, 2012 9:40 am

frrostedman wrote:
event_horizon wrote:Apparently Christians think it's perfectly okay for their "God" to unleash bears on helpless children. :crazy:

Anyone subject to punishment from God is completely helpless. I notice you at least didn't make the common mistake of labeling those subject to God's punishment as "innocent." Good for you. You're learning.

So I assume if the children were big, burly men, somehow they could have overcome the curse?

'Helpless children' is nothing more than a emotional plea and it won't fly with the educated Christians on this board. Nice try, though.

Ironically, the lesson of the instance you cited has you specifically in mind--as a warning. But keep on jeering. It's not bothering the rest of us, other than to stir up a little bit of pity.

Perhaps they weren't completely innocent, but you still think the punishment fits the "crime?" :crazy:

My point still stands. Other than qmark, the rest of you whackos think it's cool that your "God" sics bears on children. :crazy:

Why are you so in love with wickedness? :eh:
I don't believe what I believe because it's what I desire to believe. I believe what I believe because it's what logic and reason cause me to believe. All I want is to live with the truth -- nothing more, nothing less.
event_horizon

PreviousNext

Return to Religion & Spirituality

• View new posts
  • View unanswered posts