The Black Vault Message Forums

Discover the Truth!        

General Discussion Topics

New Chess Opening (Humphreys)

The Black Vault Message Forums has a considerable number of niche forums to place your post. If you can not find a home for it, and the topic doesn't fit anywhere else, then post it here.

Postby humphreys » Sun Jun 10, 2012 4:25 am

frrostedman wrote:The best players in the world have photographic memories. They study thousands of openings, mid game strategies, etc. and memorize everything. This kind of thing takes dedication... like 24x7x365 kind of dedication. AND a photographic memory is essential if you want to be the tops in the world.

I just never had it in me. Not the passion, not the sharp memory, not the willingness to dedicate all of my free time toward it.

That's why I stopped when I got to 1800. Even at 1800 the games start to become more about memorized openings and not making mistakes. I find that a single mistake against an 1800 or better rated player will almost always result in a slow painful, boring death.

The higher up you go, the more extreme it gets, with many grandmaster's being able to guarantee draws with white by going down certain opening lines well known to force drawn endgames, memorized for up to 20 or so moves.

With the advent of technology things are only going to get worse, unfortunately, with the days of players like Tal long gone. Many of Tal's most genius plays have even been shown to be completely flawed using computer analysis, and likely would have failed against the better defenses of today.

Most games are draws at higher levels, and that's a shame. There are still great games being played, but things can only get worse. Chess may be unplayable at the highest level in 100-500 years time.

I dread to think what quantum computing will do to the game!
"All of our behavior can be traced to biological events about which we have no conscious knowledge: this has always suggested that free will is an illusion."

- Sam Harris
humphreys

Postby frrostedman » Sun Jun 10, 2012 6:00 pm

humphreys wrote:
frrostedman wrote:The best players in the world have photographic memories. They study thousands of openings, mid game strategies, etc. and memorize everything. This kind of thing takes dedication... like 24x7x365 kind of dedication. AND a photographic memory is essential if you want to be the tops in the world.

I just never had it in me. Not the passion, not the sharp memory, not the willingness to dedicate all of my free time toward it.

That's why I stopped when I got to 1800. Even at 1800 the games start to become more about memorized openings and not making mistakes. I find that a single mistake against an 1800 or better rated player will almost always result in a slow painful, boring death.

The higher up you go, the more extreme it gets, with many grandmaster's being able to guarantee draws with white by going down certain opening lines well known to force drawn endgames, memorized for up to 20 or so moves.

With the advent of technology things are only going to get worse, unfortunately, with the days of players like Tal long gone. Many of Tal's most genius plays have even been shown to be completely flawed using computer analysis, and likely would have failed against the better defenses of today.

Most games are draws at higher levels, and that's a shame. There are still great games being played, but things can only get worse. Chess may be unplayable at the highest level in 100-500 years time.

I dread to think what quantum computing will do to the game!

Indeed! Do you have a photographic memory or know anyone who does? I hung out with a very talented (2200+) chessplayer for a while when I was younger. He could play an entire chess game without seeing the board. He tried to encourage me to do it by playing chess with me in our minds. Of course, after just a few moves, I was lost. I just don't have it.

I envy those with photographic memories. What an incredible talent.
Every one who is seriously involved in the pursuit of science becomes convinced that a spirit is manifest in the laws of the Universe-a spirit vastly superior to that of man. - Albert Einstein
frrostedman

Postby at1with0 » Sun Jun 10, 2012 7:39 pm

I"m happy with my poor memory.
"it is easy to grow crazy"
at1with0

Postby humphreys » Mon Jun 11, 2012 1:49 am

frrostedman wrote:I envy those with photographic memories. What an incredible talent.

I don't have a photographic memory or know anyone who does, but I did find that practice improved my memory. I practiced playing games in my head and got quite good at playing out a fair amount of moves, and being able to visualize the board solidly in my mind - it helped with tactics.

But nowhere near close to being able to play a game without a board, though.

It amazes me when a grandmaster plays about a dozen games at once, blindfolded, and still wins.
"All of our behavior can be traced to biological events about which we have no conscious knowledge: this has always suggested that free will is an illusion."

- Sam Harris
humphreys

Postby Cole_Trickle » Mon Jun 11, 2012 11:01 am

humphreys wrote:Cole, you actually sound like you play a lot like my Dad does. He is rated a lot lower than me but I always find it really difficult to beat him. Often he frustrates me and I make mistakes and he beats me in the endgame.

Trouble is, with his safe style, he also gets a ton of draws and struggles to beat the lower rated players, hence his poor rating overall. It's certainly not a bad way to play, but I think if he improved his tactics and opened up his game a little he'd be in the 1800s instead of the 1600s.

Is he playing White, or Black? You should own him in the end unless you've made blunders vs simple mistakes. My end game scenarios take for granted solid middle game play. Without it there will be no end game.

Whites opening of e-4,f-4 should all but destroy your Dad, even if he moves e-5 he's little hope of maintaining balance. But I bet he'd fancy that Pawn and move Knight f-6 instead of the Bishop c-5. He must otherwise he's at an immediate disadvantage within 4 move into the game.

Something tells me that you defer and allow him first move. Anyway I envy that bond.....playing chess with your Dad is a cool thing.

I love to play different tactics, most often they fail. I grew bored with the usual fight to the death style of play. No patience and even less temperament.

Good points on the tactics.

Cole
Cole_Trickle

Postby humphreys » Mon Jun 11, 2012 12:50 pm

We alternate white and black. I do have a better win rate with white, though.

Truth is, anyone who plays sensible, solid chess and sticks to well known principles will be somewhat tricky to beat, and it will take patience and some hard work.

Father son games are great though, I believe John plays against Greeney at least once a year too.

- Sam Harris
humphreys

Previous

Return to General Discussion Topics

• View new posts
  • View unanswered posts