The Black Vault Message Forums

Discover the Truth!        

Religion & Spirituality

I'm an Atheist, and now have Jehovah Witness's in my family.

Whether you believe in a higher power or not, this forum is dedicated to the topic of religion and spirituality. We live in a diverse world with different morals and ideas when it comes to our beliefs, so come in and share your thoughts.

Postby Daedalus » Sat Apr 28, 2012 3:31 am

Faith is powerful enough to immunize people against all appeals to pity, to forgiveness, to decent human feelings. It even immunizes them against fear, if they honestly believe that a martyr's death will send them straight to heaven.

I'll get straight to the point. My wife is Agnostic, I'm Atheist and we never argue, and I don't intend to argue with her or the side of her family that are Jehovah Witness. She used to be a JW, as did her brother and mother, until something just 'clicked' and they wanted begin celebrating birthdays, rational discussion and scientific discovery.

Some of the family remain JW. Some of them have cut all ties to the 'nonbelievers' and this brings me to my opening sentence.

Now folks, FAMILY is a big thing, even 'down under' where I'm from. What I don't understand is how can they do that their own blood - on faith, on something they have no guarantee over? If it turns out they are wrong (and hey, they failed to predict Armageddon over ten times 1875, 1914, 1915, 1918, 1920, 1925, 1941, and 1975 etc) then do they care/fathom what this looks like to the rest of the world?

Just as Scientologists cut out none 'clear' members, so have have the JW.

But then, there is one or two who do talk to us - how? Are they following the same rules? Do they have double standards I'm unaware of?

It's a silly, silly thing.

Thoughts? Opinions welcome, thats why I'm here... esp if any JW can offer their two bobs.
Daedalus

Postby greeney2 » Sat Apr 28, 2012 11:01 am

First, if your wife was a JW she knows all about their ways, which IMHO are a very tight nit group, that do not mingle with outsiders. They have very odd rules to me, which I have no respect for, as they allienate their children from other kids, school activity, and just growing up normally. I am all for freedom of Religion, but this one I have no use for whatsoever, or their customs and rules. YOur wife should probably know more than anyone, what the results will be to stray from the flock, and how she will be treated. Many other cult religions do the same thing, no matter if you are flesh and blood or not. That to me separates a true religion from some controlled cult.

All that said, you failed to say one thing about what any of this, or the JW's have to do with your belief God does not exist? Maybe your wife was left with a bad taste over the customs of JW's, which is no way to judge or decide another religion or if God exists.

The sad truth is that your wife and her siblings probably will be shunned away, ostrasized, by those who rule the roost in that congregation, and to me its a sad pathetic thing when you would allow your religion to tell you to abandon your children. Again, what does that have to do with your reason for being an Atheist? Pretty obvious that your wife and her brothers, regardless of a religion that is quirky, still had a stong belief in God, so what does celebrating a birthday, or engaging in talks, have to do with changing those beliefs?

You also never said what your unbringing was, if you had some kind of religious background, or what led you to your beliefs?

One thing I know for sure, JW's live a sheltered existance, limiting exposure to any other religions to the extreme IMHO, so you as an Atheist, must really be on their least favorite list of people. You certainly picked about the most opposite of positions to be in, and imagine how your wife must be feeling? She must be living racked with guilt both from her parents shunning her, but also jumping from some life of Faith to a life of denying God. ( just read your input again, did the Mother also branch away from the JW's? Sounds like she may have from your explaination, or has she remained and shunning off the kids who strayed?)

Big question is, do you believe your ways becasue the JW's are so radical and strict in their views, or some other unrelated questions as to the existance of God? And does you wife also have that same belief, or just abandoning her JW's ties for your Atheism?
greeney2

Postby at1with0 » Sat Apr 28, 2012 8:52 pm

" I'm an Atheist, and now have Jehovah Witness's in my family."

I'm afraid you are doomed.
"it is easy to grow crazy"
at1with0

Postby frrostedman » Tue May 01, 2012 11:08 pm

I pity any religious person who cuts ties with others (especially family members) just for their different beliefs. Now, if you and your wife were hostile to them that's one thing. But if you are friendly and these JW's cut you off simply because you aren't JW... what that tells me is, their faith is so weak, they are afraid to talk to you for fear of hearing something that "clicks." :)

Don't sweat it. You're better off without them meddling in your affairs.
Every one who is seriously involved in the pursuit of science becomes convinced that a spirit is manifest in the laws of the Universe-a spirit vastly superior to that of man. - Albert Einstein
frrostedman

Postby greeney2 » Thu Jun 07, 2012 9:40 pm

Guess he decided to not come back. Curious how it all worked out. Probably not too well.
greeney2

Return to Religion & Spirituality

• View new posts
  • View unanswered posts